• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Do you buy furry novels? Why not, or which ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rechan

This is a forum for people looking to write. But I'm wondering if the writers here purchase published works by other furry authors.

If you do, which ones have you bought?

If you don't, why not?

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
Nope. I have not seen any compelling novel output from furry authors. All I hear about is Kyell Gold-esque bullshit that I don't care about.

Though I'm not really looking in the first place

M. LeRenard

Is not French
Hi Rechan.
Not yet, but I will once I start getting paychecks. There are certain authors I feel a need to experience for myself, and some I think it would be nice to give a little extra support. But right now I'm seeping money by renting without a steady income, so buying books and other forms of entertainment isn't a good idea.

T

TakeWalker

Agreeing with Aden up there. Although I did buy two copies of Poetigress' latest work (which I haven't read yet c.c). But that's a short story.

duroc

I've bought quite a few, including fandom books Different Worlds, Different Skins volumes 1 & 2, the four volumes of New Fables, ROAR Vol. 1 & 2, Out of Position, Isolation Play, Common and Precious, Shadows in Snow, Stories from New Tibet, Alone in the Dark, & Tales from the Fur Side. I've also bought more mainstream books like Ratha's Creature and Forests of the Night.

I'm currently trying to get caught up on my reading, but I plan to purchase ROAR Vol. 3, Piggy Moto, Bait and Switch, and Smiley and the Hero.

I'll be honest in that I tend to steer away from a lot of the erotic books within the fandom, simply because there are so many of them out there (to the point where it feels like the market is saturated) and in most cases, the adult elements tend to be unnecessary. But that is a personal opinion. I bought Out of Position and Isolation Play because they peeked my football curiosity more so than the erotic elements (and I'm probably very alone on that purchasing criteria island).

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
My boyfriend sent me his copy of "Waterways" and that just kind of turned me off of furry literature.

To the google!

Waterways is an anthropomorphic novel by Kyell Gold, published by Sofawolf Press and first released at Further Confusion 2008. It won the 2008 Ursa Major Award for Best Novel.

The novel contains Kyell's popular stories from Yiffstar, Aquifers and Streams, as well as a previously-unpublished third section, Oceans. The story concerns the life of Kory, a teenage otter in his first gay relationship, with a black fox named Samaki. The book covers the themes of coming out, religious views on sexuality, and the troubles faced by gay youth.

so typical it hurts
\my first post seems to be dead on so far

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
While I'm sure there are some pretty good authors in the fandom, I do not want to read anything directly "furry." I recall having fun with the Redwall books when I was younger, but those weren't by furries for furries.

I'll stick to...things I know will be of a high quality.

epslion

(isaac cohen )epsilon
well im not sure if the authors a furry
the book i read of her is very furry novel if you ask me
its called the wolf prince

yes i read romance novels

not that twilght sparkly vampire crap

skyler-the-fox

I have bought a book, that is not necessarily "Furry" but it is an amazing book about wolves, and fox's and other animals, it is REALLY well written, it's called "Wolves of the Beyond Pack" I recommend it, it's really heart warming.

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
well im not sure if the authors a furry
the book i read of her is very furry novel if you ask me
its called the wolf prince

yes i read romance novels

not that twilght sparkly vampire crap
I see contradictions.

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
Not unless you count Watership Down, Animal Farm, Firebringer, The Sight etc. as furry.

I did buy and read this a long time ago though. Pretty sure the author doesn't know anything about the fandom but it counts.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
I personally consider anthro aliens to be furries, and I've bought dozens of books involving them. Similarly, I've bought books about centaurs, were-animals of various sorts, elf-wolf hybrids, intelligent dragons, and there were at least a few in there which involved uplifted animals (the most literal occurrence of furries but not my favorite).

Mostly I buy the ones marketed as science fiction or fantasy erotic romance novels.

Last edited:

Alstor

And twice as shiny
Unless the author is a credible professional who realizes that the furryism has to be integrated into the story's moral or plot, I would be way too embarrassed to purchase it in public.

So at the moment, no.

Poetigress

Panthera tigris libris
Although I did buy two copies of Poetigress' latest work (which I haven't read yet c.c). But that's a short story.

Actually, it's more of a novelette, since it does run over 10K. :p (In case anyone's interested...)

Assuming we're using "furry" to mean "published within the fandom," I'm pretty much with MLR on this one. I don't have a lot of spare money these days for books, and 99% of the books I do buy wind up being ones I've already read from the library and would like to have a copy to keep.

There are a few furry publications I'd like to pick up eventually (namely, the latest New Fables from Sofawolf, and Bait and Switch from Anthro Dreams), though I will say that I tend to keep to the stuff from established publishers like Sofawolf, Bad Dog, Anthro Dreams, etc. I'm willing to sample self-published stuff and give it a chance, but so far I've seen nothing self-pubbed from the fandom that has had both sufficient quality and a subject matter that interests me, to make it worth doing more than just reading the first couple pages. So, as much as I do wish that there were more support for writing in the fandom (and as much as I wonder who's supposed to be reading all these things we're trying to write, if even we aren't), I can certainly sympathize with the issue of not being able to find things of interest, particularly things of interest that are also written at least at a semi-pro level.

Last edited:
T

TakeWalker

Upon further reflection, I realized that I'm pretty sure I don't know/watch anyone who's published a novel. At least, not since I've had disposable income. I certainly wouldn't read one that was by someone whose work I was unfamiliar with.

Poetigress

Panthera tigris libris
Upon further reflection, I realized that I'm pretty sure I don't know/watch anyone who's published a novel.

Yet. ;) Announcement coming soon.

This thread is reinforcing my idea that it's a better idea in general to publish outside of the fandom.

Sadly true, at least if you want to be widely read. Which is incredibly frustrating if what you're writing falls very much within the target audience of the fandom and would be difficult to sell to publishers outside.

Last edited:

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
The only one I have is Bridges by Kyell Gold.

Poetigress

Panthera tigris libris
Also, I don't know how this is going to sound, but in the interest of telling the whole truth, I should probably mention that most of the furry anthologies/magazines that I would have been interested in buying lately, I was already getting contributor's copies of because I had a story in there somewhere. I did subscribe to Renard's Menagerie when that was still being published, although that was back when I had more disposable income. :/ Granted, those aren't novels, but still furry publications, anyway.

Altamont

The Bard of the Beasts
In keeping with the general direction of the conversation, I haven't bought any furry novels and I don't see myself doing so any time soon, haha. This is mainly because I'm really picky when it comes to the quality of books I buy, and most furry lit isn't quite up to those standards.

The only exception to this, perhaps, is the 'Furry!' short story collection that I bought a year or so ago.

Tube

I have to say that this thread is pretty damned disheartening to someone who loves reading, writing, and storytelling in all its forms and is trying pretty hard to make it as a writer within the fandom.

The publishing market outside the fandom is dismal. I don't know why anyone would prefer to publish books out there; your readership is likely to be lower, and your publishers will screw you over.

But to see such utter disdain and contempt for what I love most, because it's furry, while pretty much all of furry visual art gets money and adulation is kind of a kick in the balls. It's hard to be a good writer. I work really hard at it, and I know a number of other people do too.

Status
Not open for further replies.