• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Do You Cook?

Waffles

I'm a gryphon thing.
I baked yummy lemon cookies, and some lemon-y snickerdoodles with the leftover lemon stuff :v Wasn't too bad actually

Gavrill

ladies~
Oh gosh snickerdoodles.

As shown by the previous FAF Iron Chef, I am good at making things that look awful but taste amazing.

T

Tycho

Oh gosh snickerdoodles.

As shown by the previous FAF Iron Chef, I am good at making things that look awful but taste amazing.

mmm, delicious fecal matter-like blobs of coffee and chocolate and stuff

Oh gosh snickerdoodles.

I tried your cookies but I burnt them and then my mom threw them away for whatever reason.

I got to taste one though, it was awful but I still liked it because you're cool.

3picFox

An hero...
i was at my friends house and we were hungry, so we all made stuff with eggs. they all got mad at me because i could cook a decent omelet >:) but that us pretty much the extent of my cooking.
well i can also make buttermilk pancakes.
meh

Beta_7x

In Beta We Trust
I don't, but HAXX makes some pretty good sandwiches for me.

TrinityWolfess

I was forced to cook yesterday. It wasn't bad besides cutting my thumb =[
But uh it's ok. I wouldn't want to do it everyday...

Waffles

I'm a gryphon thing.
My mom got us a new cooking tool :3
It's like a little car that you throw peeled garlic in
And you roll it around
and you open it up and get diced garlic
And it's awesomeeeeeeeee

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
ya know what? screw it! i wont go to the university cafeteria tomorrow, ill cook for myself again >:3 and it will be glorious!

Fuzzy Alien

I'd like to cook more, I'm just not sure I'd be very good at it. I know "Anyone Can Cook" and all like in Ratatouille, but nothing I try to do seriously ever turns out the way I want it to. It also doesn't help that I have a tiny ass kitchenette thing; hell, I don't even have a real refrigerator. :[

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?
I'd like to cook more, I'm just not sure I'd be very good at it. I know "Anyone Can Cook" and all like in Ratatouille, but nothing I try to do seriously ever turns out the way I want it to. It also doesn't help that I have a tiny ass kitchenette thing; hell, I don't even have a real refrigerator. :[

What I always tell everyone starting out is not to focus on recipes, but on the basic techniques of sauteing, simmering, roasting, braising, etc., what they do, and how they work. Torrent the first few seasons of Good Eats (or watch them on youtube, channel LikeTheHat) and start going through them one-by-one. Don't treat Alton Brown's recipes as gospel or anything, they actually tend to be quite ordinary, but by learning the techniques he demonstrates you'll know how to formulate your own recipes suited to your personal tastes.

Fenrari

Prince of Wolves
I think the most important quality of a cook is an open mind. Be willing to accept that you'll make mistakes. Not every recipe you toss together is going to be 5 star cuisine.

Hell I know this first hand when I almost burned my mom's kitchen (and house down). You live and you learn though. As a cook, you must be willing to "go with the flow" per say.

Gillie

Anyone do any cooking/baking for diabetics? My dad wants something sweet. I'm going to make cinnamon scones with no sugar and see if that works. Does anyone know of any sweet treats to make for diabetics?

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?
Anyone do any cooking/baking for diabetics? My dad wants something sweet. I'm going to make cinnamon scones with no sugar and see if that works. Does anyone know of any sweet treats to make for diabetics?

Pretty much nothing is sweet without sugar, be it added sugar or naturally present sugar. You'll have to use a sugar substitute like Splenda.

If you don't like the idea of artificial sweetener though, there is a completely natural sweetener called Stevia. Due to some shady backroom deal between the manufacturers of NutraSweet and the FDA, it legally can only be sold as an herbal supplement, but it's completely harmless.

Shred Uhh Sore Us

Unbreakable
I'm an amazing cook. 'Nuff said.

Gillie

Pretty much nothing is sweet without sugar, be it added sugar or naturally present sugar. You'll have to use a sugar substitute like Splenda.

If you don't like the idea of artificial sweetener though, there is a completely natural sweetener called Stevia. Due to some shady backroom deal between the manufacturers of NutraSweet and the FDA, it legally can only be sold as an herbal supplement, but it's completely harmless.

I've tried using splenda in cakes.. but they come out kind of flat and crunchier than usual on the outside with a slightly bitter taste, like a biscuit cake hybrid. I'll find out more about Stevia, it sounds interesting, thanks for the info!