• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Do you ever feel like giving up on Art?

AxelReiner

Not sure if I can say much for others but even being a relatively new artist I don't think I'd be able to give it up... Saying that I technically have given it up once already. When I was younger I was stuck with a teacher that saw sketching as a "lesser" art form and tried to push me onto painting using equipment in horrible condition, as a result I was pushed away from art.

Now however I seem to have a strange attachment to art, due to an odd memory/personality/mental issue or whatever it is I have, I basically cannot remember what it is I've drawn / the process of drawing it. Due to this though I'm strangely drawn towards sketching, I guess I enjoy doing it despite not really remembering what it is I've done. Looking at the drawings though I can tell I'm improving though, even though they're still at beginner level. What do you really expect though off having only started again a couple of weeks ago.

Shibabutts

Yeah, I’ve given up on art before, just quit drawing for almost a year after drawing almost daily since I was about 4. But I got back in just like everyone else.

Most of the time I don’t even like drawing any more. I’m mediocre at best, but it’s also my best skill (sad I know), so I just kind of do it because it’s something to make the time pass and it’s literally the only thing I can do...

Daddy-Kai

Considering the fact that I take breaks all the time, I would have to say that more often than not I do feel like giving up. However, it is one of my best skills and it is the skill I have had the longest. I love to draw, sketch, and sometimes I'll get into the mood to paint. I am not good at coloring, or at shading, but it doesn't stop me from trying. I was in an art class where I would draw and work on art daily, but since I have left public school, I have not done much artwork. I tend to give up whenever I draw something (or try to) and it doesn't appeal to me. Then I won't touch a pencil or my art tablet for often months at a time (longest break was about a year or more). I am trying to stop this process, but either way, I won't be releasing any art until I am satisfied with it.

I have thought of ways to improve so that I feel less motivated to quit, such as; doing a daily art challenge, and/or working on a single piece for an entire month. Both would be submitted (one of my biggest fears) for feedback regardless on how I feel about it. The latter, of course, would require a larger canvas if I was going to work on it for an entire month.

Oh, and it has been proven that the longer someone (not everyone) stares at their own artwork, they will begin to feel self conscious and will also begin to point out flaws. No one else will actually do this when they are viewing your work. This also goes for 'selfies.' The fact of the matter is- No one is going to be as judgmental as you will be to yourself! Also, don't listen to the people who say 'don't erase your mistakes, work off of them.' In my own experience, that has never helped me to improve, and all it caused for me was more unhappiness with my work. Every artist has their ideal image of what their artwork needs to look like, and if they are not happy with the result, it is okay to rework it until they find a correction that makes them happy. Now, I will say not to scrap it. Set it aside, work on other projects if possible, and then come back to correct it once you have been 'refreshed.'

Anyway, that is the biggest issue I have. I lose motivation due to not being satisfied with my own work.

Mikazuki Marazhu

I hate you all
You can't quit art if you never started in the first place

ZutViCi.gif

PimpNuttz

No.

There has never been a day I haven't "worked" on my art. Whether that was writing new plots or story beats for my comic; watching documentaries to better understand what I'm writing about; researching on the web; gesture drawing; hell or even just tapping some new beats on my desk or table at work; or thinking up new ways to layer and tweak sounds in my DAW/Maschine.

I'm not worried about whether or not I have anything to show for it, just only when my art fits whatever creative phase I'm in.

Fiorabeast

Always ill as hell
Not sure if I can say much for others but even being a relatively new artist I don't think I'd be able to give it up... Saying that I technically have given it up once already. When I was younger I was stuck with a teacher that saw sketching as a "lesser" art form and tried to push me onto painting using equipment in horrible condition, as a result I was pushed away from art.

Now however I seem to have a strange attachment to art, due to an odd memory/personality/mental issue or whatever it is I have, I basically cannot remember what it is I've drawn / the process of drawing it. Due to this though I'm strangely drawn towards sketching, I guess I enjoy doing it despite not really remembering what it is I've done. Looking at the drawings though I can tell I'm improving though, even though they're still at beginner level. What do you really expect though off having only started again a couple of weeks ago.

Honestly I disagree with that teacher there, as sketching IS a form of art to me. Sketching is basically getting the basics of the form and stuff down with lines and honestly, sometimes a rough sketch looks better than the final painting in my opinion (and I'm saying this as someone that loves to do rough sketches a lot). If you are interested in sketching a lot, I suggest sticking with it as there are a lot of artists that mainly do that as their preferred method of illustration and art style.
Like, did you know that a rough sketch from some dead, famous artist can fetch A LOT on the auction market and stuff? I bet the teacher didn't know that at all.

Last edited:

redflower

here to draw
Everyone's had such different experiences, this is such a great thread @Ratchetjak

I can relate to @Fiorabeast about not posting much online. Although I've had some great experiences, I've had a lot of online attacks, including people to search queer or non-binary tags so they can harass people. That's been pretty off putting. Also, it's wild what some people will pm you if you draw any nsfw content ! wow! So inappropriate.
(I'm new to these forums also, and pretty nervous about it for these reasons.)

I've kept making art, but for a few years haven't had internet where I live. It's pretty difficult not to have the internet, but it's better than being harassed at home, and I can't really afford internet anyway :)

When I've felt really rough about drawing and visual art though, I've taken time to train in other art forms. It's actually how I started dancing which let me stay active and creative till I could go back to paper. On the way, ballet and dance also taught me a lot about bodies which has definitely helped my drawing ! Funny how it can all come around after a while.

Thanks for asking !

Marcl

The Honey Fox
I've been giving up on art several times now. I know once I dedicate, I can go all-in. But at the same time I had various responsibilities, MORE IMPORTANT STUFF (yeah, that one is a terrible excuse), so I avoided it. In most cases once I tried to get back I saw how much I fell back and I was demotivate once again.

Writing is one thing to me. I'm afraid of going back to it, because I will fail at things that I actually have to do.

The drawing... I see those art styles I adore, but simply cannot learn how to draw like that. The other thing I'm terrible at replicating my own art, so even if I have big issues practising parts of a picture (the last month I spent learning how to draw one head). And for several years I was dissatisfied with own drawings because I had problems with my hands (turned out it was stress-related) and I couldn't spend a lot of time drawing and had problems with holding a straight line.

That and everyone around constantly saying 'too many strokes! it all should be done by one stroke!'.

Weirdly enough, watching some art usually helps me to get motivated to draw again.

Ratchetjak

Ratchetjak

I see. Well we all start somewhere and whatever you enjoy is better than nothing so if you like sketching, just keep going with it.

Yeah, I’ve given up on art before, just quit drawing for almost a year after drawing almost daily since I was about 4. But I got back in just like everyone else.

Most of the time I don’t even like drawing any more. I’m mediocre at best, but it’s also my best skill (sad I know), so I just kind of do it because it’s something to make the time pass and it’s literally the only thing I can do...

I can understand. I feel I'm mediocre at best as well but I just enjoy drawing and I can't really let it go since like you, it's the only thing I can do.

Considering the fact that I take breaks all the time, I would have to say that more often than not I do feel like giving up. However, it is one of my best skills and it is the skill I have had the longest. I love to draw, sketch, and sometimes I'll get into the mood to paint. I am not good at coloring, or at shading, but it doesn't stop me from trying. I was in an art class where I would draw and work on art daily, but since I have left public school, I have not done much artwork. I tend to give up whenever I draw something (or try to) and it doesn't appeal to me. Then I won't touch a pencil or my art tablet for often months at a time (longest break was about a year or more). I am trying to stop this process, but either way, I won't be releasing any art until I am satisfied with it.

I have thought of ways to improve so that I feel less motivated to quit, such as; doing a daily art challenge, and/or working on a single piece for an entire month. Both would be submitted (one of my biggest fears) for feedback regardless on how I feel about it. The latter, of course, would require a larger canvas if I was going to work on it for an entire month.

Oh, and it has been proven that the longer someone (not everyone) stares at their own artwork, they will begin to feel self conscious and will also begin to point out flaws. No one else will actually do this when they are viewing your work. This also goes for 'selfies.' The fact of the matter is- No one is going to be as judgmental as you will be to yourself! Also, don't listen to the people who say 'don't erase your mistakes, work off of them.' In my own experience, that has never helped me to improve, and all it caused for me was more unhappiness with my work. Every artist has their ideal image of what their artwork needs to look like, and if they are not happy with the result, it is okay to rework it until they find a correction that makes them happy. Now, I will say not to scrap it. Set it aside, work on other projects if possible, and then come back to correct it once you have been 'refreshed.'

Anyway, that is the biggest issue I have. I lose motivation due to not being satisfied with my own work.

Wow I can somewhat relate. I remember back in 2011, I went through a massive art block that lasted the entire year so I definitely feel that struggle. I think that the best solution to feeling not satisfied is to continue pushing on and at least finishing pics. I'm not satisfied with a lot of my pics as I sometimes find myself looking at them and thinking on what I could've done better but I just apply it to the back of my mind when I work on a new pic and try to implement them. But really, I think finishing a pic even if you end up not liking it as much is good for growth because for example, that's how I got better with my shading skills by completing pics that I may not think too highly today but were good in developing that skill.

You can't quit art if you never started in the first place

ZutViCi.gif

Fair enough lol

Everyone's had such different experiences, this is such a great thread @Ratchetjak

I can relate to @Fiorabeast about not posting much online. Although I've had some great experiences, I've had a lot of online attacks, including people to search queer or non-binary tags so they can harass people. That's been pretty off putting. Also, it's wild what some people will pm you if you draw any nsfw content ! wow! So inappropriate.
(I'm new to these forums also, and pretty nervous about it for these reasons.)

I've kept making art, but for a few years haven't had internet where I live. It's pretty difficult not to have the internet, but it's better than being harassed at home, and I can't really afford internet anyway :)

When I've felt really rough about drawing and visual art though, I've taken time to train in other art forms. It's actually how I started dancing which let me stay active and creative till I could go back to paper. On the way, ballet and dance also taught me a lot about bodies which has definitely helped my drawing ! Funny how it can all come around after a while.

Thanks for asking !

Well... I have no comment on the "non-binary" thing because people would not like what I have to say about it but it's cool that you still managed to get back to drawing as well as adding another skill (dancing) to get into.
I've been giving up on art several times now. I know once I dedicate, I can go all-in. But at the same time I had various responsibilities, MORE IMPORTANT STUFF (yeah, that one is a terrible excuse), so I avoided it. In most cases once I tried to get back I saw how much I fell back and I was demotivate once again.

Writing is one thing to me. I'm afraid of going back to it, because I will fail at things that I actually have to do.

The drawing... I see those art styles I adore, but simply cannot learn how to draw like that. The other thing I'm terrible at replicating my own art, so even if I have big issues practising parts of a picture (the last month I spent learning how to draw one head). And for several years I was dissatisfied with own drawings because I had problems with my hands (turned out it was stress-related) and I couldn't spend a lot of time drawing and had problems with holding a straight line.

That and everyone around constantly saying 'too many strokes! it all should be done by one stroke!'.

Weirdly enough, watching some art usually helps me to get motivated to draw again.

That's understandable, it's really all a slow learning process so you gotta keep trudging on, even if it means doing simple little doodles. That's usually how I motivate myself (doing little doodles). But I'm the same way especially with watching drawing videos lol

Lawkbutt

Hobbyist
Sometimes I think I should give up, but I eventually end up just picking up the stylus again. I dunno why.

GemStoner

I'm right there with you RatchetJak.

for what it's worth I have been watching you for many years and I can say that I've honestly seen a huge improvement. I think it may take some time because you might not branch out enough, like practicing with poses that are very different from what you normally do, but a little of that would go a long way for you because you are doing really good!

It seriously kills me inside that there are people on FA who can have literally nothing posted, even say on their profile "I'm just a watcher I don't know why anyone would watch me" and have 300+ watchers.

Virtually every other account I've checked has more watchers than me, even people whose gallery consists of like 3 messy, mediocre sketches, get like 300 watchers.

I feel like I'm cursed and it takes everything I have every day not to give up.

Ratchetjak

Ratchetjak
I'm right there with you RatchetJak.

for what it's worth I have been watching you for many years and I can say that I've honestly seen a huge improvement. I think it may take some time because you might not branch out enough, like practicing with poses that are very different from what you normally do, but a little of that would go a long way for you because you are doing really good!

It seriously kills me inside that there are people on FA who can have literally nothing posted, even say on their profile "I'm just a watcher I don't know why anyone would watch me" and have 300+ watchers.

Virtually every other account I've checked has more watchers than me, even people whose gallery consists of like 3 messy, mediocre sketches, get like 300 watchers.

I feel like I'm cursed and it takes everything I have every day not to give up.

Aw thank you dear and you're so right, I should really branch out and do some more dynamic poses because I do see myself doing the same poses repetitively so I'll definitely work on that. :)

And oh man you are so right, I have seen those accounts. The ones that either have nothing on their account or have not many picture and haven't posted in the last 6 months or even a year yet they have a lot of watchers and it makes you wonder how. I mean the people who get a lot of artwork done for them via commission, especially the NSFW make sense since they get the popularity for their character/fursona but the former example? I'm just shocked and baffled.

And oh hon, don't give up. Your work is great, the coloring is phenomenal in my eyes. I totally hear you that it can be frustrating when you put your all into a picture and it barely gets recognized but just know there are people who do appreciate your work, I know I do. I know it doesn't help one get more followers/watchers but I hope the sentiment helps at least

coldbrew

Nitro coldbrew whenever!
There has never been a day I haven't "worked" on my art. Whether that was writing new plots or story beats for my comic; watching documentaries to better understand what I'm writing about; researching on the web; gesture drawing; hell or even just tapping some new beats on my desk or table at work; or thinking up new ways to layer and tweak sounds in my DAW/Maschine.

This. Even when I'm not drawing, I'm gonna be thinking about art one way or another. Be it in the car or shower imagining new scenes, writing down character ideas and prompts, talking to friends about it and generally planning for the next things regardless of whether I actually draw it or not. Hell even listening to music would sometimes make me imagine another art scene that I can draw. I may not be physically sketching or painting but my head and heart's always with art :)

I used to think about quitting art as a serious profession since I can't afford going to a proper school to learn and network, and I'm too arsed to be disciplined with myself. That was a long time ago though when I was a brat, and I used to be depressed about being unable to do art for a living. Fast forward a few years and some time in another community, I rekindled my love for drawing (mostly concept sketches for the models I was building). An art director friend wake-up slapped me in the face as well and asked me why I was wasting life in a deadbeat job instead of honing my art skills. He never saw my drawings, but he felt that the way I built and designed dioramas showed him that I had the mentality and eye for the kind of work art directors are looking for. Suffice to say I was in tears hearing that.

So I quit my job and...never actually did do art xD

...my art's nowhere near the level or style I want it to be, BUT I'm perfectly content with where I am. I got a new job as a part-time teacher, and have started drawing for the love of it again. Teaching pays my bills, and I never have to worry about doing art for money anymore, because that mentality hurt me more than it'd ever helped.

I'll get to that place I want to someday, but just not today, and I don't expect myself to be a great artist anytime soon with the work I'm putting out. I'm just enjoying life and tapping into that joy of drawing-for-the-sake-of-drawing that had led me to some of the best years I had in dA, back when I wrote and drew for personal love than for fame or gain.

tl;dr I quit once, but found art again in another hobby, and got back to art because it'll always come back to me in one form or the other. Even a freaking sitckman doodle on a napkin.

Ratchetjak

Ratchetjak
This. Even when I'm not drawing, I'm gonna be thinking about art one way or another. Be it in the car or shower imagining new scenes, writing down character ideas and prompts, talking to friends about it and generally planning for the next things regardless of whether I actually draw it or not. Hell even listening to music would sometimes make me imagine another art scene that I can draw. I may not be physically sketching or painting but my head and heart's always with art :)

I used to think about quitting art as a serious profession since I can't afford going to a proper school to learn and network, and I'm too arsed to be disciplined with myself. That was a long time ago though when I was a brat, and I used to be depressed about being unable to do art for a living. Fast forward a few years and some time in another community, I rekindled my love for drawing (mostly concept sketches for the models I was building). An art director friend wake-up slapped me in the face as well and asked me why I was wasting life in a deadbeat job instead of honing my art skills. He never saw my drawings, but he felt that the way I built and designed dioramas showed him that I had the mentality and eye for the kind of work art directors are looking for. Suffice to say I was in tears hearing that.

So I quit my job and...never actually did do art xD

...my art's nowhere near the level or style I want it to be, BUT I'm perfectly content with where I am. I got a new job as a part-time teacher, and have started drawing for the love of it again. Teaching pays my bills, and I never have to worry about doing art for money anymore, because that mentality hurt me more than it'd ever helped.

I'll get to that place I want to someday, but just not today, and I don't expect myself to be a great artist anytime soon with the work I'm putting out. I'm just enjoying life and tapping into that joy of drawing-for-the-sake-of-drawing that had led me to some of the best years I had in dA, back when I wrote and drew for personal love than for fame or gain.

tl;dr I quit once, but found art again in another hobby, and got back to art because it'll always come back to me in one form or the other. Even a freaking sitckman doodle on a napkin.

That was a great story, thanks for sharing and happy to hear you're in a happier place.

Jay98

The violent man-eater
to me art is a way to spend my time whilst i'm stuck here unable to do much.
but then again i was my own worst critic and it stopped being healthy for me so i quit.
but i've matured now and i really want to get back in the game.
i haven't done much else but write for about 10 years.

Ratchetjak

Ratchetjak
Sometimes. I haven't had real motivation in years.
Oh I'm so sorry about that...

to me art is a way to spend my time whilst i'm stuck here unable to do much.
but then again i was my own worst critic and it stopped being healthy for me so i quit.
but i've matured now and i really want to get back in the game.
i haven't done much else but write for about 10 years.
Ah I see. Well I hope you have a fun foray back into drawing. :)

shixane

Is kinda weird cause i think some of us well mostly in my case have went thru a period in time where our artistic passion kinda withered for abit

My case was when my elementary school teacher prefers other's students work rather than my own cause i guess cartoons? i really am not sure what her deal was cause everyone else pick the easy question in their art examination while i pick the preferable version where we were given artistic liberty. Then again my art suck balls then but it did got me in a period where i threw away my pencils and drawings for the time being.
Honestly, i'm not sure if its weird or not i drew a short comic about it

"(You Can't Draw) (If you wish to see it but no worries if you dont have the time.)"
12729291_1256709771023768_5212317512212670816_n.jpg
Heck There was even a point in time I had an argument with my sibling and he tore all of my drawings thus i had to either throw them away or pitifuly tape them together whatever scraps i have left. It hurt then and still does now but i've move on.

Overall, i pick up art again around 2013 and have not stopped since despite alot of harsh criticism which lead to my improvements :eek:

BunBunArt

Princess Bunny ♥
I did a few years ago, I was about to abandon it but then I said maybe one more try... so I started the 365 days sketching challenge, see here https://sta.sh/21phbg9z93vz
That made me realize I was enjoying drawing and I was perfectly capable to get better just by keeping it going.

It's true not getting feedback is frustrating, I feel the same way, but eventually you will learn to live with it and just enjoy your art with your friends, because at least my very few friends do like my drawings and they do leave me feedback so... that's enough for me.
People usually comment art if it's fanart of something they like or +18 art. That's how it is and there isn't much to do about it, sadly 8'(

Minerva_Minx

Sheogorath is my co-pilot
You will always give up what you love. Always. It's the moment you come back and can find nothing else you want to do, nothing else you can think of doing, that love becomes desire. And when you put it down, it will come back even harder. And that's the moment, the moment you can't live without it, that it becomes passion. And with passion comes the attraction from others. So don't feel bad dropping it or walking away. Feel bad when it comes back and you want it but don't take it back.