• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Do you ever think of your characters as real part of your life?

Enzay

I often like to pretend that I am my fursona, I think about what he would or wouldn't do in certain situations. Obviously, people would think I'm strange because I have an alternate personality of a cartoon fox, but its because of this alter ego, I am more social and I get along with almost anyone.

Bonobosoph

4 hands good 2 hands bad ;)
No because I'm not a fucking weirdo unlike you people.
Weird? Psshhh nah.
loHWAuE.jpg

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned
This pretty much describes everything other writers have told me. I give them personality and a rigorous back story and whenever I'm writing with them in the story I try to put myself in their place; so I guess you can say they are real, but at the same time not so much because I know they aren't real creatures or people, just a figment of my imagination.

Being a writer myself, I consider "imagination" to be a part of life just as "real" as what I had for breakfast. So, whatever my imagination comes up with, whatever I do with it, it's part of my life. I create characters to entertain myself and (hopefully) others. I put them in stories so I can tell their lives, share how they view their "reality"... and by that means, perhaps, allow my reader to learn a little, to see a different view of their own life potential. Tweak their own imaginations. You know, the whole "I can identify with that" scenario.

Even if identifying with some alien/fantasy creature might be stretching things.

Krank

wannabe tinker
I often like to pretend that I am my fursona, I think about what he would or wouldn't do in certain situations. Obviously, people would think I'm strange because I have an alternate personality of a cartoon fox, but its because of this alter ego, I am more social and I get along with almost anyone.

That's kinda along the lines I feel about my fursona too. I don't actually believe he's real or anything, but he becomes a coping mechanism at times for me. He helps me to feel good about myself and understand that people really do like me for who I am.

MegaMew

Jäger
Yea, I can relate to my fursona as I please. I feel that I chose the panda because I contain the personality of one in many ways, so yes, he does play part in my real life. It adds ascertain playfulness and overall enjoyment in life that I can't find elsewhere. Also mimicing his personality also helps me with social situations, thinking of what'd he do.

Last edited:

Syk

Neon Wuff
My characters are usually linked to certain aspects of my personality, with a bit of exaggeration; like a playful side, a nerdy side or a quiet side. So generally, if I want to think of what my characters will do in that situation, I'll go with what I'll do in that situation if I'm feeling, let's say, nerdy if I'm using my nerdy character. So for me, it may seem the other way around. XD

Schelt

This is an interesting question. I don't consider them real in a way that I believe I have a relationship with them. But I do think of them as a facet of my subconscious. When I am attempting to make a decision on something that is difficult, I imagine my characters giving me different counterpoints to each choice. It is one way I am able to look at all of the angles of something.

DammitMax

Max Fally
My characters feel like my children to me. I think about them often and I care for them. It'd be cool if they were real and I could have an actual conversation with them. I would freak the hell out if they came to life, but it'd be pretty cool.

Maugryph

My characters feel like my children to me. I think about them often and I care for them. It'd be cool if they were real and I could have an actual conversation with them. I would freak the hell out if they came to life, but it'd be pretty cool.

So if you get bored with your characters.. do you... kill them? :(