• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Do you feel like some animals react differently to you?

The Color 12

The meaning of life
Eh, kinda. this past summer when I visited my mom, who had gotten a dog since I last saw her, and this dog would follow me around and just lay down right next to me whenever I was at the computer. And when I moved into CA, I met the cat that was apparently destined to be my cat, even though my stepsister had gotten it a few years before we even knew each other. Now this cat will sit on my lap at every opportunity and will sometimes even sleep with me in my bed (yes, haha).

Nex

"Tail-wag..."
I do pretty damned well with getting stray dogs and cats to trust me. Actually, just the other day, I was drinking with a group of people that I had just met in front of my buddy's apartment. There is this female pit mix that wanders around the area who is scared of just about anything. I know how to approach a strange dog by simply lowering my head and taking a less threatening posture, in about an hour, she was eating out of my hand and drinking beer with me. I'm decent with domestic cats as well, I can usually get them to 'shoulder cat' after about a week of training. My friends cats seem to like me more than they like him because I actually pay attention to them and show a bit of dominance.

There was a couple of times as a kid where I got this shepherd mix to stop nipping at me by standing my ground, puffing up a bit, and avoiding eye contact. It eventually just walked of, looking over it's shoulder it's shoulder at me like "Well you're no fun.". I simply know how to deal with animals and I don't think it has a damned thing with my choice of internet subcultures. It's all in eye contact and how you carry yourself.

FireFeathers

Mr. Red Flag
Most animals like me, in the same way you described- they don't bark at me, they approach me first, etc. alll except for rabbits. Rabbits freaking hate me. Rabbits and Ferrets; I've never met a ferret or rabbit that didn't bite me.

PATROL

They say animals feel what sort of person are you, like having a 6th sense. Some people have it as well, and no matter how you act all sweet and nice towards them in the first minute when you meet, they can read you if you are really like that and in most cases they are right. I'm not into mystical and other unnatural things and similar stuff like that. But besides me I met another person who had seen me only once for a few minutes and he already knew more about me than I'd like to admit. Well, you get the point.

As for the animals: I don't notice any different behaviour towards me. Except for dogs, I dont get along with some breeds for which I blame my understanding of their expressions. But I've also noticed I get along with shepherd breeds.

Last edited:

aiden749

now I know I usually get along with animals, and I love many and some love me, but something I have noticed is that I actually intimidate animals normally considered fierce, these being dogs.

In the area I live in there are MANY dogs and there's always a chance that you'll meet a bad one. Often when walking in the past and now I'll see a doberman or german shepherd that will snarl and gag on it's chain and if at all I say something like be quiet or to shut up, it does immediately. I thought that maybe they were doing that because that's what their owners, until I would see the same dogs get yelled at by the owners when barking at others and they don't listen.

I also noticed that many dogs normally willing to play with strangers would curl their tail and stay away from me, but they would play with everyone else.

probably nothing special though, just something I've noticed over time.

inb4 they don't like you cause you're ugly ;)

Volkodav

Dad****er
I've never met a dog that didn't like me. Only way a cat has ever attacked me is if I was pissing it off [when I laugh at my cat, he gets pissed and tries to scratch me]

I believe animals can sense who is nice to animals. An example of this that I've witnessed is when a dog meets my brother and I at the same time. The dog usually hangs out around me and won't approach my brother. I think they can sense who really loves animals and who doesn't know how to treat them properly.

aiden749

I've never met a dog that didn't like me. Only way a cat has ever attacked me is if I was pissing it off [when I laugh at my cat, he gets pissed and tries to scratch me]

I believe animals can sense who is nice to animals. An example of this that I've witnessed is when a dog meets my brother and I at the same time. The dog usually hangs out around me and won't approach my brother. I think they can sense who really loves animals and who doesn't know how to treat them properly.

and that's EXACTLY what bothers me because i really like animals and don't do harm. maybe i just seem mean to them or i smell different, i don't fuckin know

Volkodav

Dad****er
and that's EXACTLY what bothers me because i really like animals and don't do harm. maybe i just seem mean to them or i smell different, i don't fuckin know

Animals can judge a lot about people just by looking at them. They can't "smell" fear. They sense fear through body behavior.

Also, yelling at dogs does not help them like you :\

aiden749

Animals can judge a lot about people just by looking at them. They can't "smell" fear. They sense fear through body behavior.

Also, yelling at dogs does not help them like you :\

never said i yelled, and why are you talking about fear?

Volkodav

Dad****er
never said i yelled, and why are you talking about fear?
"Often when walking in the past and now I'll see a doberman or german shepherd that will snarl and gag on it's chain and if at all I say something like be quiet or to shut up, it does immediately."
Dogs do not care what you're yelling at them. They don't speak English, when you walk by and yell "SHUT UP!!!" at a barking dog, he thinks you're barking back and it agitates him even more and he thinks you're challenging him. The best way to deal with a barking/snarling dog when you walk by is to just look ahead and pretend he isn't there.

"maybe i just seem mean to them or i smell different"

Some of my family says i'm good with animals if that counts. My uncle's cockatoo bites most people but lets me feed him and is nice to me ( atleast by that bird's standards lol) and yet the little 20 something year old cockatiel he has hates my guts. XD

aiden749

Dogs do not care what you're yelling at them. They don't speak English, when you walk by and yell "SHUT UP!!!" at a barking dog, he thinks you're barking back and it agitates him even more and he thinks you're challenging him. The best way to deal with a barking/snarling dog when you walk by is to just look ahead and pretend he isn't there.

yeah so I'm a little drunk right now and I apologize (shhh don't tell anyone) but I'll have to a go a little tit for tat on your comment

again, I didn't yell. if you look at my post I used the word "say" but you keep ignoring it and stuffing words where they don't belong, I'm not sure why and it's a little annoying so I'd greatly appreciate if you read my posts closer

to interject, yelling is pointless, animals don't get it, most ppl should understand that

also, I joined a fucking FURRY forum. yeah dude I love to yell at animals all day, it's the only way i communicate then I go home and dick around on a furry forum. c'mon, really? that's retarded.

when i communicate to a dog that's freaking out I SAY something, and not even in an agitated voice, for example using what i said above.

then they're quiet and sometimes sulk away, even though at anyone else they bark at snap to their hearts content even with the owner demanding they stop.

THAT'S what bothers me, dude

thanx for your time, hope it's clear

Subrosa

Recycled words
Only thing I can think of is that I've never been swooped by a magpie.

I don't know if they can't be bothered or what but, I've walked by places where they've been swooping other people and they just look at me.

Fere

Wolves and dogs tend to be very .. well almost reverent around me. Had a very eerie thing happen in Scotland a while back involving a pack of wolves at a nature park. If I can 'tune in' enough, I can also make dogs go quiet.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Regarding the original question, I wouldn't say so.

LLiz

Use your flippers to get down!
Only thing I can think of is that I've never been swooped by a magpie.

I've been swooped by magpies a couple of times, but they happen to be my 2nd favourite bird so I forgive them (my first favourite bird are the Pied Currawongs, they have these really menacing yellow eyes, and I really love their call). Surprisingly, the birds that swoop me the most are they Myna birds (the grey native ones not the Indian Myna birds).

I do seem to have a way with certain animals (there are some animals that have hated me).

For 12 years I had a pet pigeon (died last year :( ), it used to think of me as its mother and was really protective of me. Back when I lived with my parents I would get it out and it liked to sit at my feet. If someone like my brother ever came near me it would literally chase him away, nipping at his feet. It was such an interesting bird, I could easily put it in a trance and it'd go to sleep in my hands.

At mum's place we have a Siberian Husky, we have a pretty special bond. Perhaps that is because I used to be the only one who'd take him for walks, etc. These days when I visit he's always pretty happy to see me. Once I visited and he was inside the house, I walked in and said a big loud "hello" to everyone, and Cosie (husky's name) lets out this growl that sounded like "Herrrrow", it was hilarious.

A neighbour's cat that is usually unfriendly to strangers was instantly really friendly to me.

My brother has a bearded dragon, last week I was visiting, and he let me get it out the cage, it was really calm while I was nursing it (apparently unusual) to the point that it went to sleep in my hands. My brother had never been able to get it to eat out of someone's hands and apparently it also did that for the first time while I was nursing it.

Volkodav

Dad****er
yeah so I'm a little drunk right now and I apologize (shhh don't tell anyone) but I'll have to a go a little tit for tat on your comment

again, I didn't yell. if you look at my post I used the word "say" but you keep ignoring it and stuffing words where they don't belong, I'm not sure why and it's a little annoying so I'd greatly appreciate if you read my posts closer

to interject, yelling is pointless, animals don't get it, most ppl should understand that

also, I joined a fucking FURRY forum. yeah dude I love to yell at animals all day, it's the only way i communicate then I go home and dick around on a furry forum. c'mon, really? that's retarded.

when i communicate to a dog that's freaking out I SAY something, and not even in an agitated voice, for example using what i said above.

then they're quiet and sometimes sulk away, even though at anyone else they bark at snap to their hearts content even with the owner demanding they stop.

THAT'S what bothers me, dude

thanx for your time, hope it's clear

Okay well either way, reacting to a barking, aggressive dog does nothing good. Saying, yelling, shouting, etc. It does nothing good, the dog sees you "barking" back. You don't talk or look at an aggressive, barking dog. You walk by.

grygon

out ot my mind
They do. But I don't think it's cause the animals "know" that I am different with them, I think I have learned and am still learning how to adjust my behavior and body language and spoken language and all the other little nuances of what makes me me... is just different when dealing with them. If that makes sense. Such little things like- not only squatting down to make myself "smaller" but the way I look at them and how I place my hands before, during, and after their approach. What sounds I make to interest them, to calm them, etc. even if only I can hear it (they can too, though the people standing 5feet behind me won't). Things other people don't even think about cause they just don't have that kind of detailed-thinking when dealing and learning from animals. The animals don't know all this, they just know "hey, someone safe!" cause of all those little details that make them feel so.