• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Do you go to local fur meets? If so, what have your experiences been like?

VaeLa

Western PA Furry Weekend is the best furmeet I could ever imagine. It really feels communal, it raises a lot for the local animal shelters, it's very affordable, and there's a lot you can do to contribute to it's betterment each year! It takes place at a park lodge, and borrows traits from all the great elements of a convention-style meet, creating a weekend of productivity and all-round enjoyment for everyone that attends! Love them, would only pass on a local furmeet if I was completely unavailable. I make going to them a priority, I'd go so far to say events like that give me motivation to do anything with my life.

Z

ZeroVoidTime

Never been to one before so I cannot really say that much about it.
Baltimore, MD, near Penn Station...and work near DC, in College Park (I take the train)
Dude at least you have a train to go somewhere Michigan has terribad transportation in general and yes I know it means nothing when you cannot go to places you want to visit. (However I am slightly bias about this as I envy anyone who is able to get transportation without a drivers license.)

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Never been to one before so I cannot really say that much about it.

Dude at least you have a train to go somewhere Michigan has terribad transportation in general and yes I know it means nothing when you cannot go to places you want to visit. (However I am slightly bias about this as I envy anyone who is able to get transportation without a drivers license.)

I hear ya. I'd really, really love to move back up to northern Michigan, near where I grew up, at a spare place my folks have outside of Traverse City: I miss the snow, the cold, the fresh water, the wilderness, and TC is big enough for me. So folks ask why don't I, and the answer: there NO way to get around, if you don't drive. I mean, to get to town, would take hours on foot...and even via bicycle, given the hills, snow and cars...not really feasible.

It's weird how much the US is built upon making people need cars, and how many business interests, in tandem, have pushed the momentum for this.

So...in the meantime, I'm trying to meet some furs I might share a ride with...and hope that if you find some meets, something might work out like this as well.

But I feel your pain. Michigan, home of 'The Motor City', pretty much demands that you have a car.

BackPaw

Resident Foxy Ape
I go to the same meets as @Water Draco , which is cool because it means I get to chat to him :)

First one I attended was a very nervy affair. One of the newly-arrived furs from on here posted that he was at the meet and all socially anxious, so I used that as my excuse to get off my backside and talk myself into going. Realised after I’d arrived that I’d not thought past the turning up bit, looked around at tables of people all having fun, then did a brave thing and walked up to one and asked if I could join them. Best decision I could have made, even though I ended up having a huge row with my partner when I got home. He didn’t understand the whole furry thing back then and assumed I’d gone to some kind of orgy, but he did finally realise that a furmeet is nothing more than a bunch of nerds talking rubbish about cartoons and stuff in a bar or restaurant :D

These days I always check for the newcomers, typically while I’m suiting since I really think a fursuiting hug is what so many who turn up hope for from that first meet. And as always it’s a pleasure chatting to @Water Draco and @Xavier Fox when there too.

M

ManicTherapsid

I've never gone, but I think Lake Area Furry Friends still has a coffee meet near me.

MosquitoBeest

Small but Mighty
It would be fun to go to something chill/low-key. Like, I don't do the suit thing and I'm really just here for creating and developing characters. I guess you can call me "furry-lite" haha. So to go to something and meet some fun and exciting people who I also have a few other things in common with, maybe even more so than this, would be amazing.

Water Draco

Next LondonFurs?? Please stay tuned
It would be fun to go to something chill/low-key. Like, I don't do the suit thing and I'm really just here for creating and developing characters. I guess you can call me "furry-lite" haha. So to go to something and meet some fun and exciting people who I also have a few other things in common with, maybe even more so than this, would be amazing.

Most people that go to meets do not have fursuits. People just go to the meets to chill and hangout together.

BackPaw

Resident Foxy Ape
Most people that go to meets do not have fursuits. People just go to the meets to chill and hangout together.
This is true. LondonFurs typically has about 30-40 suiters out of more than 200 attendees. Nobody needs a fursuit to be a furry, nor do they need one to enjoy a meet.

(Figures for other readers. Obviously Draco knows this already)

Water Draco

This is true. LondonFurs typically has about 30-40 suiters out of more than 200 attendees. Nobody needs a fursuit to be a furry, nor do they need one to enjoy a meet.

(Figures for other readers. Obviously Draco knows this already)

I can often be recognized at the LondonFurs meets by the camera attached to my face. :D

Sam Wamm

I'm a goat plushie
i've been to virtual conventions online.

like a 2d othrographic game with custom made sprites.

that was very interesting.

MadXStitcher

Without dropping too much info, I used to go to local meets years ago. I met some pretty cool people. I also met some very... manipulative and scary people, got pulled in by one, and wound up pretty much falling out of the entire scene for a long time. I've never felt the need to get involved with any local scenes since.

Water Draco

I know they exist where I live, but it seems like most of the people who talk in the online group about attending them are much younger than me. I'd feel a bit out of place with a bunch of people 20+ years younger than me.

At the last meet I was at I was looking after the newcomers. Some of whom are 26 years younger than myself.

Saying that there are people older than myself that also attend the meet.