• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Do you have any Uncommon Phobias?

Half

Paragon of the Flawed
What uncommon fears or phobias might you have?

I, personally am haphephobic - meaning I dislike being touched, regardless of who or why - and vehiphobic, meaning I am terrified of operating vehicles or riding in them.

What about you?

Zipline

Noodle Fish
I do not like deep water (for fear of creatures I can not see through the murk), now that I think about it, I do not like water in general. It is prob due to being a cat, but i prefer to stay dry. I also do not like bright light but spend most of my time outside during the hottest part of the day. I used to be afraid of children because of my childhood but after working around them at the store most every day I am fine with them now. I do not like dead bodies. I have been around and touched too many and always think they will wake up and grab me.

If there is anything that scares me the most, it's prob when someone gets really close to ur ear dude, and just breathes....just sitting there right next to your ear just breathing right into it. I mean, just about every strand of hair on my body sticks up, it's the weirdest feeling ever

mzfantic

Just a stupid dog
What's the scientific term for fear of power lines? Cause that's what I'm afraid of. I'm not afraid of the wires or getting shocked. I'm afraid of the giant lattice towers standing there overpowering everything around them.

Half

Paragon of the Flawed
Wow. It's interesting to see such diversity of fear, particularly the reasoning.

Do you cringe away when people try to touch you or if they approach you too fast?
It's more "Contact makes me wanna pull away." I squirm, I startle easily at the touch. If I see it coming or expect it it's not so bad, but the longer it lasts the more I want to pull away. So generally, no, it's better to have some kind of warning. If someone startles me with a touch (i.e. slap on the back, poked in the shoulder, unexpected contact) I've jerked away/flinched, and there were a couple of instances where the fear prompted me to wind up a punch of self defense. I've never actually hit someone, but I have thrown people off me pretty roughly from pure reaction. I did come close, actually throwing the punch once, but the person (who was a friend) was short enough to be missed entirely.

mzfantic

Just a stupid dog
It's more "Contact makes me wanna pull away." I squirm, I startle easily at the touch. If I see it coming or expect it it's not so bad, but the longer it lasts the more I want to pull away. So generally, no, it's better to have some kind of warning. If someone startles me with a touch (i.e. slap on the back, poked in the shoulder, unexpected contact) I've jerked away/flinched, and there were a couple of instances where the fear prompted me to wind up a punch of self defense. I've never actually hit someone, but I have thrown people off me pretty roughly from pure reaction. I did come close, actually throwing the punch once, but the person (who was a friend) was short enough to be missed entirely.
I'm actually very similar to you in that regard then. For me it's not so much of a fear, it's more of a reaction. I don't like being touched by anyone except for close friends with warning. I don't even like being hugged by my parents. Although if I touch someone else it's perfectly fine. I wonder if I suit at a convention if i'll end up getting in trouble for decking someone for randomly hugging me, cause' I've heard hugging happens a lot at furry conventions.

TheKC

Fuzzy drawing dragon!
I'm scared of sharp things near my head. Knife, fork, anything poky near my head makes me nervous. This comes from when I was really young, I had to have ear surgery. I knew they cut open my ear to work on it and that idea seems to have become a phobia. I know it comes from this because I will sometimes cover my ear that got worked on.
My husband likes to go though haunted house attractions. They don't really scare me at all. but one time, one house had work shop room with saws and blades hanging from the ceiling. I pushed him yelling, "KEEP GOING KEEP GOING!! O n O"

Daven

bilo
I'm actually very similar to you in that regard then. For me it's not so much of a fear, it's more of a reaction. I don't like being touched by anyone except for close friends with warning. I don't even like being hugged by my parents. Although if I touch someone else it's perfectly fine. I wonder if I suit at a convention if i'll end up getting in trouble for decking someone for randomly hugging me, cause' I've heard hugging happens a lot at furry conventions.
My x was like that i touched her shoulder
Once and she corndoged me and i puked all over my science teacher

Half

Paragon of the Flawed
Well, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one! It's something that was awkward to explain to people I know, and a lot of them disregard it until they see a legitimate reaction come of it. If I had to give some advice for that convention - Wear a backpack, it would discourage people from coming up from behind for a hug. You'd at least have some warning!
I'm scared of sharp things near my head. Knife, fork, anything poky near my head makes me nervous. This comes from when I was really young, I had to have ear surgery. I knew they cut open my ear to work on it and that idea seems to have become a phobia. I know it comes from this because I will sometimes cover my ear that got worked on.
My husband likes to go though haunted house attractions. They don't really scare me at all. but one time, one house had work shop room with saws and blades hanging from the ceiling. I pushed him yelling, "KEEP GOING KEEP GOING!! O n O"
That's a fairly common one - though it's interesting to see what inspired the fear. If it's anything like needles, the best way to get past it (or at least disregard it) is to distract yourself.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Dentists. They are evil people who like to inflict pain. And then you get the bill, and that hurts even more.

I used to have a fear of needles, but that has gone away, after I had a series of acupuncture sessions for this facial pain syndrome/TMJ, and it felt amazing, and brought about a great deal of relief. I counted the needles he put it one time: 27. One at each wrist, a pair at the elbows, several in the neck and more in the face and skull, sometimes one in the stomach, and a pair at the ankles. It brought about an oddly relaxed state, so that I thought I was awake, but I was actually dreaming, and there was no clear line as to when I even knew one from the other.

Half

Paragon of the Flawed
Dentists. They are evil people who like to inflict pain. And then you get the bill, and that hurts even more.

I used to have a fear of needles, but that has gone away, after I had a series of acupuncture sessions for this facial pain syndrome/TMJ, and it felt amazing, and brought about a great deal of relief. I counted the needles he put it one time: 27. One at each wrist, a pair at the elbows, several in the neck and more in the face and skull, sometimes one in the stomach, and a pair at the ankles. It brought about an oddly relaxed state, so that I thought I was awake, but I was actually dreaming, and there was no clear line as to when I even knew one from the other.
You'll be a den-tist! You have a talent for causing things pain! ...

Wow. That's actually quite a story for inverting a fear. Maybe an extreme exposure like that helps to eliminate it for some? It does remind me of a friend of mine who faced their fear of brains by holding one in his hands (in a laboratory setting, for psychology).

The Llamakiin

Phonophobia. Loud noises. I have suuuper sensitive hearing, which is why for the fourth of July I thoroughly plan on hiding in the basements with headphones, tissues and a blanket. x_x

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
You'll be a den-tist! You have a talent for causing things pain! ...

Wow. That's actually quite a story for inverting a fear. Maybe an extreme exposure like that helps to eliminate it for some? It does remind me of a friend of mine who faced their fear of brains by holding one in his hands (in a laboratory setting, for psychology).

Hmmm, holding a brain does send a shiver! But I guess because I don't have to see exposed brain tissue, it's not big a phobia!

Phonophobia. Loud noises. I have suuuper sensitive hearing, which is why for the fourth of July I thoroughly plan on hiding in the basements with headphones, tissues and a blanket. x_x

I have this somewhat myself: the sounds of certain things especially: guns, motorcycles, loud engines, airplanes, helicopters. Thunder is OK. It seems to be mostly man-made things.

Sergei Nóhomo

Spicey Memes
Banned
Hmmm, holding a brain does send a shiver! But I guess because I don't have to see exposed brain tissue, it's not big a phobia!

I have this somewhat myself: the sounds of certain things especially: guns, motorcycles, loud engines, airplanes, helicopters. Thunder is OK. It seems to be mostly man-made things.

Aww yiss thunder is THE shit

Baremen

I have a fear of latex balloons. I cant stand them popping, rubbing or even be in close proximity to me. I will freak out and go the opposite direction of them.

My fear stems from when I was younger and tried to inflate one when it burst and I almost choked to death from the shards that went down my throat.

Sergei Nóhomo

Spicey Memes
Banned
I have a fear of latex balloons. I cant stand them popping, rubbing or even be in close proximity to me. I will freak out and go the opposite direction of them.

My fear stems from when I was younger and tried to inflate one when it burst and I almost choked to death from the shards that went down my throat.

How do you feel about clowns

Sergei Nóhomo

Spicey Memes
Banned
They are alright, don't really find much humor in them. But they don't technically scare me.

What about killing clowns from outter space with latex balloons of all shapes and sizes?