• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Do you like TCGs? If so, tell me about it

.Antho

Valentine
I mainly play Yu-gi-oh and Pokémon, and learning MtG and Force of Will.
I play a life force aromages deck in Yu-gi-oh, a Sirfetched fighting deck in Pokemon, a 3 color planeswalker army deck in MtG, and a Ghost in the Shell deck in FoW. What do you play? What are some of your favorite playstyles, archetypes? Cute or cool cards? Tell me all about it!

FoxWithAName

Still new only older
Used to play Yu-gi-oh! a few years ago, I played ABC and Crusadia.I quite enjoyed the FTK approach of Crusadia a lot. Time was the limiting factor back then and I kinda lost track, maybe I will try it again, because the locals were very fun.

Arishipshape

TFed Ex-Knight
I do! I have a couple of Pokemon card decks, and I find them great fun. My favorite play styles are the ones that totally break some basic rule. For example, when I’m playing the Mega Lucario deck, there aren’t any Lucarios or Riolus. I use Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick to bench Mega Lucario straight from the discard (also avoiding the “your turn ends” mega clause). That feeling of having a mega out and energied 2 turns into the game by bending my deck over backwards to accommodate it... it’s awesome. I also have a Deluge Keldeo deck (which completely ignores the “one energy per turn” rule) and a Dynamotor Rayquaza deck (which also ignores the rule but in a very different fashion). I have the Reshiram and Charizard League Battle Deck, so I know what it’s like to play a more “standard” deck, but I like ignoring basic game premesis.

Have you ever played Dominion? IMHO, it’s the deck builder that puts all other deckbuilders to shame.

.Antho

Valentine
Used to play Yu-gi-oh! a few years ago, I played ABC and Crusadia.I quite enjoyed the FTK approach of Crusadia a lot. Time was the limiting factor back then and I kinda lost track, maybe I will try it again, because the locals were very fun.
Awesome! If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend checking out a website called Dueling Nexus, let's you build decks and duel for free. Great for refining your gameplay or trying something new, cause some cards are hella expensive.

.Antho

Valentine
I do! I have a couple of Pokemon card decks, and I find them great fun. My favorite play styles are the ones that totally break some basic rule. For example, when I’m playing the Mega Lucario deck, there aren’t any Lucarios or Riolus. I use Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick to bench Mega Lucario straight from the discard (also avoiding the “your turn ends” mega clause). That feeling of having a mega out and energied 2 turns into the game by bending my deck over backwards to accommodate it... it’s awesome. I also have a Deluge Keldeo deck (which completely ignores the “one energy per turn” rule) and a Dynamotor Rayquaza deck (which also ignores the rule but in a very different fashion). I have the Reshiram and Charizard League Battle Deck, so I know what it’s like to play a more “standard” deck, but I like ignoring basic game premesis.

Have you ever played Dominion? IMHO, it’s the deck builder that puts all other deckbuilders to shame.
672.png
First of all. That mega lucario deck sounds absolutely terrifying. Second of all I have actually never heard of Dominion, I'm gonna have to take a look into it!

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
I was a big Yami fan so I ended up playing almost a straight yu-gi deck. Nothing fancy. Just whatever characters I thought were cool at the time.

My ex got me into MTG. On steam, before they purged all of the cards for whatever reason, I was black and green. Blue is fun but irl I can't seem to get anything other than black and green strats.

Arishipshape

TFed Ex-Knight
View attachment 100364First of all. That mega lucario deck sounds absolutely terrifying. Second of all I have actually never heard of Dominion, I'm gonna have to take a look into it!
It’s illegal in tournaments, I’m a filthy casual and it’s inconsistent enough to still be fun against the few people I play against. There is a similar deck that is legal utilizing deluge, Kingdra GX and Archie’s Ace In The Hole (which is Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick for water types). I can’t afford it lol, turns out being tournament illegal makes cards cheaper!
I highly recommend Dominion.
I just read the Wikipedia article, are you familiar with Android Netrunner, it sound just like it.
I’ve never heard of it. In what ways is it similar?

FoxWithAName

Still new only older
I’ve never heard of it. In what ways is it similar?
It "was" (it is basically dead because of licensing) a Deck-Building game which does not had booster packs. The game was playable with the base set, new cards and play styles were added with expansions. It is quite fun, because it is an asynchronous game. I try to find a deck building game which does not cost a fortune to play, maybe i give it a try.

FoxWithAName

Still new only older
It "was" (it is basically dead because of licensing) a Deck-Building game which does not had booster packs. The game was playable with the base set, new cards and play styles were added with expansions. It is quite fun, because it is an asynchronous game. I try to find a deck building game which does not cost a fortune to play, maybe i give it a try.
Nevermind i just read the rules... Its absolutely not like it.

Arishipshape

TFed Ex-Knight
If anyone is interested in learning Dominion, make a free account on Dominion Online and hit me up on Discord, I’ll teach you the basics!

Arishipshape#3437

Firuthi Dragovic

World Serpent, overly defensive
Magic: The Gathering occupied my time for a bit but by the time I had a reliable group, I was so many sets behind (most of my cards were from Tempest to Urza's Saga) that I just sold off what I had at a loss. No way am I keeping up on that these days.

Never really got into Yu-Gi-Oh or did much with the Pokemon TCG either, although I still have some of my Pokemon cards. Might get rid of them soon too.

Did you know that both the Marvel universe and Werewolf: The Apocalypse had TCGs at one point? Marvel's was called OverPower and Werewolf's was called Rage. Got a few cards from both a long time ago (and still have them - can only build one decent deck with the OverPower ones but the Rage ones I could potentially make enough decks to play a game) but those two are WAY out of print. Would kind of be interested in a digital reconstruction of both honestly.

.....other than that, frankly I'm more into deckbuilding board games (or even just deck-BASED board games like Red Dragon Inn or Sentinels of the Multiverse) than TCGs.

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend
I used to collect Pokémon cards as a child. Have a bunch of first edition ones just sitting in my garage. Never learned how to actually play it. I just liked the artwork on the cards as a kid.

I played mtg for a few years as a teenager through the original mirrodin block. Was tons of fun and I still have all my old decks, but all the people in my group went their separate ways in college so didn’t have anyone else to play with. Hobby just fell by the wayside after that.

MagnusLucra

MTG has been a good investment. I only play EDH, but I love longer games with less consistency. Means you get a lot more mileage out of your deck, and sometimes you REALLY need to believe in the heart of the cards to pull whacky stuff off.

Kinare

RAWR
In high school there was a group of us who played Yu-Gi-Oh. I wanted to get into Pokemon to play (even made a baller dark/water deck), not just collect, but shockingly there were no Pokemon groups. I also collected Digimon and InuYasha cards, those just for fun, not to play. A couple other little side collections too. I so wish I had all of my old cards from when I was a kid - we (bro and I) weren't allowed to have them because "they're demons", but we still snuck them and had some pretty good ones. Mum found them cut up and burned hundreds of dollars worth of cards, if not thousands... *smol crai* Eventually I got gooder at hiding them (buried them in the sandbox in a Bionicle container, lul) and so I built up a decent collection in my teen years.