• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Do you pop your spine?

lelapinmort

Fen'harel take you.
And how do you go about it? I usually will anchor my feet in a doorway, or sit in a chair, and pull my upper body left to right with my arms. Or I'll lie on my stomach, bring my right knee up beside me, pushing on my right hip with my hand to twist myself gently. Repeat for left side. Sometimes I have my husband sit on my butt and, with the flats of his palms on either side of my spine, gently press in and up in swift, gentle motions. Any tips on how to do this for a better result? Or perhaps in a safer way? Sometimes I worry about popping my joints the wrong way.

lelapinmort

Fen'harel take you.
This might answer your question. You're better off to practice good stretching, posture, and exercise to help build up muscle around your joints.

Hmn. I'm not fond of Fox News, so I'm not 100% confident in the article. It says that it doesn't cause any major damage to bones and joints, but I should check with a doctor since I do it often. I definitely should, for sure. I admittedly am the worst at taking care of myself. I'm always more worried about working best I can, and taking care of bills and house. I've been trying to stretch more at least at work though. Thanks for the info!

Guys, still interested in how ya'll might crack, though. Do you have soft cracks, or do you have brutal, spine-tingling ones?

D

Deleted member 82554

Hmn. I'm not fond of Fox News, so I'm not 100% confident in the article.
Neither am I, but that article is quite accurate. If you won't take Fox News word for it, take the word of someone that has spent time with Chiropractors and done Uni studies on anatomy and physiology.

lelapinmort

Fen'harel take you.
Neither am I, but that article is quite accurate. If you won't take Fox News word for it, take the word of someone that has spent time with Chiropractors and done Uni studies on anatomy and physiology.

I definitely appreciate your advice, thank you. I agree I should stretch more for sure.

Yakamaru

Å nei, cringe
I crack my back, neck, fingers, arms and feet. Come at me, bro.

WolfNightV4X1

King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy
If cracking joints caused any type of arthritis, my entire body would be a shriveled mess

Stadt

Eeriee the Wendigo
I crack my neck all the time and it drives my friends crazy.

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
DO. NOT. DO. THAT!

Trust me. Take it from someone whose spine is FUCKED. Twisting and wrenching your back like that can seriously bork your alignment and grind down cartilage. Once you tweak your back out of place, there's no going back.

i can't get into details now because i'm on mobile, i'll get back to this post soon, but PLEASE take it from FAF's own resident spinally challenged, permanently disabled gimp...

...STOP!​

GreenZone

Banned
Banned
i learnt a way to crack my spine all i need to do flex my shoulder muscles or i put my arms up as if you're flexing your arms push your fists to the side of your head push your fists into your head a little then try to push your shoulders backwards
DO. NOT. DO. THAT!
calm your nipples popping or cracking is just releasing gas there's actually nothing wrong with it ive pinched a nerve myself after jumping off the back of a truck with a 60kg pack on it only took like 2 months to get over with physio

MAN_BURD

burd man
I once made the foolish mistake of going to crack my vertebræ on a particularly warm Saturday in the polders of Holland. A lovely Amsterdammer prostitute—her name was Trintje van der Waals, I believe— was to sit on my trenchcoat-covered back, and pull my shoulders nearly out of their sockets as she always did. Despite my immense furry gayness, I could see that there was something that distinguished Trintje from every other Amsterdammer. She had flaxen blonde hair, a definite symbol of her membership in Die Aryan Brüderschaft, and her skin was as unhealthily pale as the underbelly of a dying salmon. Her muscles were noticeable—I asked her about her regimen after the whole ordeal, and she mentioned that she only ate pure whey. And her eyes—oh, her eyes!—they pierced me like a Roseart crayon.

On this warm Saturday morning in question my arm-bones were locked against my sides. They very rarely came apart without the aid of the beautiful Trintje, and so I had a sort of addiction to visiting her. The only things in Amsterdam are brothels, so I am able to use my Heelys to stake between them.

"Trinjte, my love, do you rest in this home?" I called. Usually there was no answer, but the game was one of numbers. One must simply visit enough houses before Trintje would turn up. Eventually, between multiple congested brothels I found my love. "Trintje!" I called, with nothing but loving in my voice, "My back, dear!" At this time I realized I coughed out a Cheeto I was eating, and picked it off of the floor to put it back in my mouth. "What the fuck do you want, you old man?" was the voice that came back. My beloved Trintje! "I'm going to need extra cash to do this again, MAN_BURD."

"Anything for you, mademoiselle." Only then did I unleash the ultimate trick of persuasion—a delicate tip of the trilby. With this the ladies became like puppies in a kennel. I paid her her fees and let her get to work.

She sat on my back, grabbed my shoulders, and pulled as fiercely as she could. One would almost think she wanted to kill me, she was doing it so enthusiastically! She dug her firm knee into my weak back and I could feel the pops emerge like crackles emerge from a fire. But she didn't stop pulling. She pulled, and pulled, until I felt the final, near fatal snap. It was my spinal cord.

Now, I am paralyzed from the waist-down. The Dutch government has covered my medical bills to the last Euro, and now I can live with my love Trintje. Sometimes she cries, sometimes she drinks, sometimes she falls asleep for hours at a time. It's been a tough time for us all. But I know that I will grow as a better person with her, as well as my anime VNs.

Last edited:

GreenZone

Banned
Banned
I once made the foolish mistake of going to crack my vertebræ on a particularly warm Saturday in the polders of Holland. A lovely Amsterdammer prostitute—her name was Trintje van der Waals, I believe— was to sit on my trenchcoat-covered back, and pull my shoulders nearly out of their sockets as she always did. Despite my immense furry gayness, I could see that there was something that distinguished Trintje from every other Amsterdammer. She had flaxen blonde hair, a definite symbol of her membership in Die Aryan Brüderschaft, and her skin was as unhealthily pale as the underbelly of a dying salmon. Her muscles were noticeable—I asked her about her regimen after the whole ordeal, and she mentioned that she only ate pure whey. And her eyes—oh, her eyes!—they pierced me like a Roseart crayon.
On this warm Saturday morning in question my arm-bones were locked against my sides. They very rarely came apart without the aid of the beautiful Trintje, and so I had a sort of addiction to visiting her. The only things in Amsterdam are brothels, so I am able to use my Heelys to stake between them.

"Trinjte, my love, do you rest in this home?" I called. Usually there was no answer, but the game was one of numbers. One must simply visit enough houses before Trintje would turn up. Eventually, between multiple congested brothels I found my love. "Trintje!" I called, with nothing but loving in my voice, "My back, dear!" At this time I realized I coughed out a Cheeto I was eating, and picked it off of the floor to put it back in my mouth. "What the fuck do you want, you old man?" was the voice that came back. My beloved Trintje! "I'm going to need extra cash to do this again, MAN_BURD."

"Anything for you, mademoiselle." Only then did I unleash the ultimate trick of persuasion—a delicate tip of the trilby. With this the ladies became like puppies in a kennel. I paid her her fees and let her get to work.

She sat on my back, grabbed my shoulders, and pulled as fiercely as she could. One would almost think she wanted to kill me, she was doing it so enthusiastically! She dug her firm knee into my weak back and I could feel the pops emerge like crackles emerge from a fire. But she didn't stop pulling. She pulled, and pulled, until I felt the final, near fatal snap. It was my spinal cord.

Now, I am paralyzed from the waist-down. The Dutch government has covered my medical bills to the last Euro, and now I can live with my love Trintje. Sometimes she cries, sometimes she drinks, sometimes she falls asleep for hours at a time. It's been a tough time for us all. But I know that I will grow as a better person with her, as well as my anime VNs.

i can't tell if you're legit or a troll anymore i swear to god

lelapinmort

Fen'harel take you.
I crack my back, neck, fingers, arms and feet. Come at me, bro.

Omgggg same. Your arms and feet, do you mean your elbows and shoulders, and ankles and toes? I do this thing with my ankle where I hold it out with my toes pointed, and push down on the top of my foot with my hand or some surface. Gives a pretty loud pop in my ankle. Feels good bro.

If cracking joints caused any type of arthritis, my entire body would be a shriveled mess

Lol it's something hereditary, so I'm pretty sure I'm doomed to have it no matter what because my mother has it so bad.

I crack my neck all the time and it drives my friends crazy.

I wonder if I bother people too lol.

DO. NOT. DO. THAT!

Trust me. Take it from someone whose spine is FUCKED. Twisting and wrenching your back like that can seriously bork your alignment and grind down cartilage. Once you tweak your back out of place, there's no going back.

i can't get into details now because i'm on mobile, i'll get back to this post soon, but PLEASE take it from FAF's own resident spinally challenged, permanently disabled gimp...

...STOP!​

That's awful! I'm very sorry that you;re in that condition now, that must be miserable. :( I can't promise I'll be able to stop immediately, but I would like to better my body.

I chose life thanks

I mean I'm not dead if that's what you're saying.

i learnt a way to crack my spine all i need to do flex my shoulder muscles or i put my arms up as if you're flexing your arms push your fists to the side of your head push your fists into your head a little then try to push your shoulders backwards

calm your nipples popping or cracking is just releasing gas there's actually nothing wrong with it ive pinched a nerve myself after jumping off the back of a truck with a 60kg pack on it only took like 2 months to get over with physio

Oh my, I can't envision how you're doing that so I'm not going to try lol. What an interesting way!

"MAN_BURD."

Haha what. Don't make me get my broom, troll.

WolfNightV4X1

King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy
@MAN_BURD Why are you wasting your talent on this trash website?

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
I can't promise I'll be able to stop immediately, but I would like to better my body.

Oh, my friend. My nipples are the CALMEST! MY TiTS ARE SERENE!! UNMOVED, EVEN!!! DOWNRiGHT TRANQUiL, GODDAMiT!!!!

i'm just staying... i used to pop'n'crack my lumbar all the time. i often got kinks that needed adjusting but rather than consulting a doctor, i made a habit of (incorrectly) realigning my spine in the only manner i knew how. After a decade or so of "adjusting" my own back without proper know-how, it turns out i'd actually done more damage. i wasn't just adjusting my back to relieve pain. i often did it simply out of habit, which is what the OP sounds like they're doing. Unless you know exactly how and are shown by a doctor, i don't recommend self-adjusting one's back every day. if you truly feel you NEED to adjust it, i suggest consulting a doctor to diagnose why your spine is kinking. There are stretches that one can do that can relieve tension and pain without "popping" your back and there are even more ways to change your posture and gait to stop the "need" to make adjustments.
Popping your spine doesn't work the same way as popping your fingers. (i am by no means a doctor or expert on this but this is what was explained to me) There's a spinal fluid and cartilage between your discs, unlike your knuckles. Popping the discs in your spine doesn't work the same as cracking your knuckles. Knuckles "pop" when gases are released between joints. Your spine's discs don't separate like that. They slide between each other, potentially damaging the cartilage between them. if you do enough grinding, you increase your chances of cartilage over-growth that can actually KEEP your spine from sitting naturally, much like a "spondy" or slipped disc. Constantly adjusting your back incorrectly or needlessly can put more strain on your back. if you feel the need to do it daily, you need to see a doctor. -And i don't mean a chiropractor either; i mean an actual doctor! Some MDs are chiropractors but not all chiropractors are MDs.

Also, i misread the OP. Those methods are more common (and possibly safer) than what i was picturing in my head. While i have a better understanding, i still don't recommend it. if you really feel like you need daily adjustments, you're doing something else wrong in your daily life. Even without stretching, just sitting up straight with an exaggerated arch can help. Consciously walking straighter, holding your chin up, practicing safer lifting and bending (in the work place AND at home) and changing the way you sleep can greatly improve your back's health. -And those changes won't grind down your discs!

The Alchemist

The main way I do it is a few methods.
Primary way is stretching. Taking both arms and placing my finger tips on my shoulders and then stretching slowly to the left and then slowly to right, Then back and forward.
Then the other method at work is using a small roller ball that I place down at the bottom of my chair, just above my hips and sit back with that there.
at home though, since my chair isn't made the same as work, I mostly just put my hands on the handlebars of my chair and lift myself up and let the weight of my butt and legs stretch myself out.

And if all else fails, I just go to sleep.

lelapinmort

Fen'harel take you.
Oh, my friend. My nipples are the CALMEST! MY TiTS ARE SERENE!! UNMOVED, EVEN!!! DOWNRiGHT TRANQUiL, GODDAMiT!!!!

Insert the rest here-

I AM DECEASED LOL.

Yeah as far as my knuckles go, it's done kind of out of habit, but I do get pain in my hands so it helps. My right thumb is gruesome when it pops lol. Very audible. But for my spine and neck, it's all about bad posture and hard labor. I'm fucked lol. I'm also only 4'11" so that puts a strain on me when it comes to jobs sometimes. What I'm tryin to say is yeah, I know I need to see a doctor, and I will, as soon as I have insurance and money to do so, and I know that adjusting myself is not good for me, but I do it as safely as I can without forcing it in the mean time, because sometimes stretching isn't enough. I mostly made this thread because I was curious as to how other people do it. Not because I condone habits that may be damaging. Thanks for your input! I can't imagine how you must feel every day with the condition your back is in. :(

The main way I do it is a few methods.
Primary way is stretching. Taking both arms and placing my finger tips on my shoulders and then stretching slowly to the left and then slowly to right, Then back and forward.
Then the other method at work is using a small roller ball that I place down at the bottom of my chair, just above my hips and sit back with that there.
at home though, since my chair isn't made the same as work, I mostly just put my hands on the handlebars of my chair and lift myself up and let the weight of my butt and legs stretch myself out.

And if all else fails, I just go to sleep.

Oh, the lifting yourself up thing! I love doing that. Feeling that stretch on your spine feels so good e///w///e

"I just go to sleep" I lol'd.

Benthehornyhyena

Too many stories, too little time
My fingers, my spine, my wirsts and my neck (almost every day for this one), and the fact I crack easily doesn't help (my knees crack when I bend !)

lelapinmort

Fen'harel take you.
My fingers, my spine, my wirsts and my neck (almost every day for this one), and the fact I crack easily doesn't help (my knees crack when I bend !)
I tend to spend a lot of hours hunched over a computer, and so I crack my joints a lot.

For my back specifically, I just roll my shoulders back to relieve the tension back there. I probably shouldn't crack as much as I do, but I don't really want to change my habits, either.

Wow same on both accounts lol. If I'm not standing for about nine hours at work, I'm hunched over at my "desk" at home. Lots of cracking ensues.

Cloudyhue

Certified Fuzzbutt
I stretch when I wake up, but that's it. I don't think I even crack my back most of the time.