• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Do you prefer laptops, tablets, phones and other portables or desktops?

KippLink

LVL 1 Magic Apprentice
I am kinda curious on this topic as ever since we stepped in to the age of mobile tech the desktop has been slowly vanishing. Yet it is still pretty much an unbeatable choice if you have a need for a powerful system and plan to perform upgrades which is a bit more tricky on mobile tech. However in the past few years i havent really seen a desktop at any of my friends except very few who use it for either gaming or some powerful software needs. I am curious if people still prefer the desktop computer or a laptop or none of the above and are happy with their tablets and phones.

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
I used to have laptops because I was always on the go. Now, after 3 of them dying less than 2 years in, and scummy computer centers doing illegal things instead of repairing the damn thing, I decided Desktop is safer and lasts much much longer since it's built for the stuff I use it for.

In a store called Future Shop (Best Buy bought them out later on) I sent my laptop in 3 times to get repaired. There was a warranty that, after the third time, they'd replace the laptop completely. Out of these three times, screws were missing, my USB slots had collapsed and people were saving files and even blackmailing people. My laptop cam was permanently on after that so I just taped it up. Oh yea...and by the third time I sent it in, they got bought out so the warranty was now void.

Never owned a tablet but I've used them before and they're so much slower/unreliable.
My phone is for talk and text.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
I am kinda curious on this topic as ever since we stepped in to the age of mobile tech the desktop has been slowly vanishing. Yet it is still pretty much an unbeatable choice if you have a need for a powerful system and plan to perform upgrades which is a bit more tricky on mobile tech. However in the past few years i havent really seen a desktop at any of my friends except very few who use it for either gaming or some powerful software needs. I am curious if people still prefer the desktop computer or a laptop or none of the above and are happy with their tablets and phones.

I pefer a desktop...no question. No other device can handle the sheer horsepower with the proper cooling and heat sink room. Total customization easily, liquid cooling options for near silent operation, proper room for true graphic card hardware heat-sinks/fans and not "emulated equivalent", no question about it, I'll take a desktop any day!

The_biscuits_532

Scary Ancient Wombat
Desktops. Because of lockdown and uni I'm currently stuck 200 miles from my computer. Which I do most of my art on. So that sucks.

I've been practicing on mobile in the meantime. It's definitely a different experience
sketch-1608160728182.png

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
If I'm doing work or writing, I'd rather use laptop since it is just easier type at speed on keyboard. I do like typing at the home desktop we have set up because it has three monitors so if I'm writing, I can have Word or LibreOffice open on one, Scrivener on another, and webpages I have open plot research stuff on the third. It also lets me have multiple documents open at once. I also prefer to code at the desktop.

I hate mobile phones, mainly because typing on them is annoying if you have big hands. I will admit to secretly liking my Kindle since it makes reading faster and easier.

The_biscuits_532

Scary Ancient Wombat
If I'm doing work or writing, I'd rather use laptop since it is just easier type at speed on keyboard. I do like typing at the home desktop we have set up because it has three monitors so if I'm writing, I can have Word or LibreOffice open on one, Scrivener on another, and webpages I have open plot research stuff on the third. It also lets me have multiple documents open at once. I also prefer to code at the desktop.

I hate mobile phones, mainly because typing on them is annoying if you have big hands. I will admit to secretly liking my Kindle since it makes reading faster and easier.
Oh I love my mobile phone just for the sheer accessibility. Never been able to get into ebooks though :/

100% prefer Desktops but there's a place and space for the other, though I am not sold on the idea of a tablet since it's such an "inbetweeny" of a laptop and phone that I cannot justify getting one or find a good usage area.

A free day, I typically probably spend 90% on my desktop if not more, while the other 10% is phone sometimes split with my old laptop. A comfy desk, comfy chair with a big monitor, clicky keyboard and instant loading of anything is just preferred. On lazy days I may slouch a bit on the sofa in front of the TV and whip up the phone, but in most cases I remain at that desk until it's bed time, and If I'm not tired enough I go on the laptop as I rather type on an actual keyboard than a smartphone. However some days I am just too tired or lazy to plug in the charger, or have a small laptop propped up in bed and just want to sleep, that's when the phone comes out again with a youtube video or two to fall asleep to.

I don't really have a livestyle where I move around a lot or need to bring a good laptop somewhere or do work on the go. A basic smartphone gets me through the day if I'm out really and the rest I spend at home in front of a big desk and a big computer.

Monosuki the Aurian

Kyu the Braixen
I prefer laptops. On the go for hasty situations, yet portable enough to store away in a backpack or so without anything else getting in the way.

Sure, you'll have those moments where you...sometimes lose the charger or something, but it's a little bit better in my opinion. That, and the main reason why I prefer a laptop over a phone?

No text to speech. The autocorrect feature is seemingly non-existent on this laptop, so I don't have to worry about any wrong words or misaligned meanings coming into play.

When I type, it's my words alone, not what it assumes to be correct. And that, and the speed of it all is a lot easier than a phone. Bit too small and restrictive for me in my opinion.

In conclusion, laptops. They've never failed me yet, so I'll keep coming back to it, time after time!

Now to get a more modern laptop...

Ziv

PokéManiac
Desktops.
I work in a field where people use (and buy) compute nodes. An analysis that takes 30 seconds on my desktop will take several minutes on my laptop, and I don't have time for that.

KippLink

LVL 1 Magic Apprentice
Wow i am actually impressed how many desktop pc fans there are, this makes me very happy to know as despite moving to a laptop few years ago i still miss the full power system especially the bigger screen. Funny enough i got myself a laptop only because i needed portability but ever since i finished my studies and work experiences my laptop hasn't left my house in years lol

Yakamaru

Level 32 Knight
Desktop. Always desktop. Nothing beats being able to have 3 large screens where you can pay attention to and watch everything that goes on. Be it on Youtube, Odysee, Bitchute, Discord, Telegram, +++.

I miss having 4 actually..

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
Laptops are for finance work in my eyes. Carry it around, solve people's money issues and then put it away. MAYBE for creative writing too, to write when the muse strikes instead of waiting and losing the moment?

Smartphones are for just those - contact people and look something up in an urgent situation. They're a supplement for intelligence, not a substitute.

Tablets? A portable and generally less-searchable way to read, and maybe a portable movie or film station.

For ANYTHING else, and definitely anything where mobility is not an issue, a desktop is the best option. Easier to fix if it goes wrong, easier to custom-tune to exactly what you need.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
Desktops. Cheaper, better for typing, and you can fix them yourself.
That is another upside to desktops. It's easier to fix them on your own without specialized tools. While portability has its benefits, the smaller components in newer tablets, phones, and laptops are a strain to repair.

zeroPony

I prefer the desktop, because it's more powerful than laptops.
However I use my laptop from work, because all software is already set up.
Phone for anything else (reading e-books, youtube, maps, navigation, browsing in spare time and so on).
Month ago I took my brother's 7" tablet for a while. It's quite interesting to see and draw from a tablet rather than from a monitor or phone. Reading books is also quite easier.

M

Mop

I think they're all very useful, just for different purposes. I don't have a preference since I use each enough (other than desktop) that it would be a real nuisance to lose any of them.

My main setup is a laptop for productivity + gaming, and a 10" tablet for youtube/twitch/netflix so that I can watch stuff while cozy in bed.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
I tend to prefer laptops for work but desktops for everything else.
If I'm laying in bed...obviously a phone, for the ease of just relaxing.

If I'm playing something like dnd with a friend I might buy a tablet...just because their smaller and more maneuverable than a laptop.

I guess I like using different things for different purposes.
But if I had to base it off of utility...desktops are my preference.

Kinare

RAWR
Desktop preferred for when I'm able to be at home.

Laptop is nice because transportability, but it's also a pain and more expensive to get similar specs. I only have one myself because I work nights and need something to keep me awake at work, but I can't game much on it anymore (too uncomfy for where I have to sit in this house and the wireless mouse I got really strains my hand to use). It's mostly used for just watching stuff and playing simple games now, ha. I did use it as a primary PC though for a solid few months when my desktop died and I didn't have money to repair it, but I was also able to sit at a desk with it at home so it was almost the same setup minus some QoL things (like good speakers, better keyboard, enough USB ports for all of the things, and just flat out better specs).

Vesper The Coyusky

Eh this one's kinda uneven for me. I use a laptop/smartphone. Desktop is nice, but having tangled cables is a problem. Not to mention the buildup of dust overtime. It gets annoying having to keep it maintained from time to time. Even though it's cheaper than a laptop, it's just limited in my eyes. I now have a desktop, but I kind of want everything available (keyboard,mouse,monitor). on one device, and thats a laptop. I don't get the latest one (too expensive). I have a Macbook Pro from 2013 that had a bad screen got for less than 400$ replaced the screen it runs 720p and 1080p YouTube videos, without lag. Also plays retro games very well.
I'm pretty tech savy myself and I like my devices to be portable whether I need it to take it with me. Less cables to get tangled and the buildup of dust is less suseptible. But if you prefer a desktop, nothing wrong with that. In fact I have a desktop now, but I don't use it because of my moving situation.

ConorHyena

nazi hunter
Both the desktop, the smartphone and the laptop are indispensable for work - The desktop I would be sort of able to do without if I attached a mouse and keyboard to my laptop, but it's just not the same + I have hte more sizeable files on the desktop - my laptop only has a small SSD - cause it keeps the price point down. The laptop I do most of my work on + it's portable. I don't need hideous amounts of computing power regardlessly, most of my stuff is text processing anyway.
Smartphone is indispensable for contacting people, contact management on the go, etc.

MagnusLucra

School: Tablet PC - I used a microsoft surface while I was in school, and it was awesome for note taking.
Work: Laptop - Docking stations, portability is great. Also just good security practices having employees always be near their machines.
Art: Ipad - That new pen is hot.
Gaming: Desltop - I've had several, all amazing, but I always get offers from people to buy them... Gaming on a laptop is not ideal.

FunniValentine

Valentine
Personally, the dream set up would have to be a thin and light laptop, egpu, and nice monitor, keyboard & mouse to dock into. Portability and a low-profile when you need it, and an absolute gaming beast when you don't.

D

Deleted member 82554

Phones, by a landslide. They are just so much more convenient than anything else on the market right now and are able to do most of what full PCs can do minus the raw horsepower.