• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Do you think chrisitianity itself is responsible for it's decline in America?

Is christianity shooting itself in the foot?

• yes

Votes: 48 57.8%
  • no

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • maybe

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • meh

Votes: 12 14.5%

• Total voters

greg-the-fox

I think it's partially because of that, but mainly because we're becoming more global (tv/internet) and people who would have otherwise been sheltered by small communities are now open to larger ideas and perspectives

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
The behavior in general of many denominations most certainly plays some factor here. However in general religion is on the decline as it is and not just with one religion. You are also seeing people turn to alternative religions, or turn away completely as they realize that yes they can chose to disassociate or choose a non majority religion.

The information highway also plays a heavy role as well. As people have more access to global news and become aware of what major denominations are doing it starts to deride moral.

Last edited:

Smart_Cookie

I baked y'all an apple pie!
In backwards isolated towns can display the worst of Christians as well.

The giant megachurches aren't really any better. :V

Rick Perry prayed for rain now Texas burns

we;lp

PRAYER AND CHURCH MEETINGS: RESULT IN NOTHING
ATHIEST CONVENTION: RAINED ON SECOND DAY

But yeah, the inability of many religious groups- or worse the fundamentalists who actually praise complete ass-backwardsness- to adapt to changing social norms is a big problem with most religions these days. Among christians, protestants, born-again christians, and calvinists like the WBC are the worst of it and do way more to turn people away from their faith than any atheist could. It'd be nice if the rest of the world didn't have to drag religion kicking and screaming towards civility is all.

Last edited:

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
PRAYER AND CHURCH MEETINGS: RESULT IN NOTHING
ATHIEST CONVENTION: RAINED ON SECOND DAY
Did that actually happen? And if so I so want a link to laugh my ass off.
The behavior in general of many denominations most certainly plays some factor here. However in general religion is on the decline as it is and not just with one religion. You are also seeing people turn to alternative religions, or turn away completely as they realize that yes they can chose to disassociate or choose a non majority religion.
How much is religion on the decline globally anyhow?
I know it's still growing, but that's because of population growth.

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
Did that actually happen? And if so I so want a link to laugh my ass off.

How much is religion on the decline globally anyhow?
I know it's still growing, but that's because of population growth.

To be honest I don't know. I know it's on the decline in America because I've seen the stats. However globally? I don't know of any recent stats. Then again I have not been looking. The hard thing about such stats is there are still places where it's...well not an option to be anything other than the religion of the theocracy.

Last edited:

Torrijos-sama

The Artist Formerly Known as Jesusfish
It's not like you haven't already tried to derail several other threads with this crap.

And no, I don't. I personally think that it's society as a whole that's shifting away from religion in general for a variety of reasons. Probably one of the greater contributing factors I see is that children are taught less to do what their parents want them to do and taught more that they should do what large Lobbying organizations want them to do.

Fix'd.

The downfall of Christianity in this nation is coming from its sectarian nature. There are thousands of sects within our country, and they all interpret the bible in different ways. What has permitted Christianity's continued existence is ultimately leading to persons becoming disenfranchised with Christianity, due to the hostility many churches have towards one another and their ideologies. From this hatred comes a war for church members amongst ever shrinking crowds of Christians, and often times, churches end up proselytizing and end up turning towards increasingly bizarre methods of attempting to sell their church to people, either through radical zeal, or through a relaxed atmosphere that stresses nothing but "communitarian, brotherly love, man."

Smart_Cookie

To be honest I don't know. I know it's on the decline in America because I've seen the stats. However globally? I don't know of any recent stats. Then again I have not been looking.

Christianity is still growing in the strict numeric sense, but relative to the population Islam is now bigger IIRC.

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
Christianity is still growing in the strict numeric sense, but relative to the population Islam is now bigger IIRC.

And yet Atheism and Agnosticism is steadily creeping up.

Kreevox

Groovy Kitsune
wow I'm surprised that Rukh hasn't gone and thrown a shitfit over this thread yet

CannonFodder

Hahahaha!
*slow clap*
Thank you Mojotech, you just made my night.
Also what's even more ironic when you think about it is Texas is the bread and butter for the tea party and denies global warming and Texas is getting it's ass kicked by global warming.
During the summer we had tumbleweeds, that has NEVER happened before.
The main reason why religion isn't going anywhere any time soon is population increase.

Does anyone have the information on decline of religion in the world?
And yet Atheism and Agnosticism is steadily creeping up.
That's no surprise, unlike religion atheism and agnosticism not only has population increase on it's side, but the low percentage of people that remain religious after college and a billion other things.
wow I'm surprised that Rukh hasn't gone and thrown a shitfit over this thread yet
Don't say that name! You're going to summon him!

Last edited:

CannonFodder

Well if finding the decline rate overall in the world is difficult, does anyone know the estimated projections for the USA for the future?

Namba

Fix'd.

The downfall of Christianity in this nation is coming from its sectarian nature. There are thousands of sects within our country, and they all interpret the bible in different ways. What has permitted Christianity's continued existence is ultimately leading to persons becoming disenfranchised with Christianity, due to the hostility many churches have towards one another and their ideologies. From this hatred comes a war for church members amongst ever shrinking crowds of Christians, and often times, churches end up proselytizing and end up turning towards increasingly bizarre methods of attempting to sell their church to people, either through radical zeal, or through a relaxed atmosphere that stresses nothing but "communitarian, brotherly love, man."

This is why I'm non-denominational. That whole "house divided among itself" thing? It was ironic to be taught that particuar passage back in my catholic years. Now I'm truly what Catholicism is supposed to be, which is a part of "one church" or "one body." That's what catholic used to mean, at least.

As far as selling the church? Yeah, this one church tried to do that to me when I was already involved in another (which is wrong on so many levels). I think it was invlolving... an iPad giveaway and this big concert feel? Hmmm... say, did you say anything about Jesus? No? Just checkin'. That church was one big performance and I never went again.

As far as a decline, I'd say Christianity is still a pretty strong force, but it's been noticeably declining. Still, I don't think it's going away.

People do realize that the whole Christian thing has never really been a single religion? There's always been a bunch of different sects, maybe not as many as there are now, but that's what the people who decided what is going in and coming out of the Bible, the religious leader peoples were trying to unify people together under fewer religions, but yeah :v

Neuron

It seems like people have been becoming more generalized in their beliefs to just being more agnostic than anything.

It's been too much effort to really study your religious roots for awhile now (see: lots o' christians that have not actually read most of the stuff in the bible) and kids are getting more freedom to choose what they want as they grow up, as well as getting smarter, perhaps seeing prejudices in organized religion and not really liking what is happening. Which happened to most of my Mormon friends.

CannonFodder

It seems like people have been becoming more generalized in their beliefs to just being more agnostic than anything.

It's been too much effort to really study your religious roots for awhile now (see: lots o' christians that have not actually read most of the stuff in the bible) and kids are getting more freedom to choose what they want as they grow up, as well as getting smarter, perhaps seeing prejudices in organized religion and not really liking what is happening. Which happened to most of my Mormon friends.
Actually speaking of which it is true the majority of christians have never fully read the bible.
Found what I was looking for
Also 3/4 of americans identify as christian, only about 44% are active members of a church, 1/5 of americans attend church regularly.
It estimated that agnosticism will be on the rise, but will eventually plateau with the rise in hispanic population, also fundamentalism will continue to slowly rise.

Aha!
Found the projection table for the world.
http://www.wnrf.org/cms/next200.shtml

Last edited:

Smart_Cookie

Seeing prejudices in organized religion and not really liking what is happening. Which happened to most of my Mormon friends.

Generally, the quicker someone is to try to exclude or marginalize another group, the more likely they are to have serious self esteem issues. Possibly due to unhealthy self-loathing.

There's also the issue of people claiming huge worldwide christianity numbers, but who are equally likely to turn around and say "Mormons/protestants/catholicas/etc aren't really christians." and more or less always leads into various shrill screeds on how only their chosen sect is REAL christianity. This of course leads to the problem where every other group is "not really christian" by every other group's standards, leaving outsiders going "Yeah, I guess none of you are."...

Fay V

Lost to this world
Well if finding the decline rate overall in the world is difficult, does anyone know the estimated projections for the USA for the future?
the overall rate is difficult because we're not really seperating developed and developing nations, which have two very different cultural needs. I think the best option it to look at developed nations and their census information.

Onnes

If you're looking for a complete information overload on trends of religion in the US, you probably can't beat this article from the Pew Research Center. One interesting trend is that while younger Americans are less likely to affiliate with any religion, those that do affiliate are in many cases just as religious as in previous generations. All varieties of religious activity increase with age, so a given generation always has the possibility of over time becoming more or less religious relative to others.

CannonFodder

If you're looking for a complete information overload on trends of religion in the US, you probably can't beat this article from the Pew Research Center. One interesting trend is that while younger Americans are less likely to affiliate with any religion, those that do affiliate are in many cases just as religious as in previous generations. All varieties of religious activity increase with age, so a given generation always has the possibility of over time becoming more or less religious relative to others.
Dayuum the millenials are far less religious to the point it's no comparison.

Last edited:

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?
While the behavior of some Christians is drawing attention to its capacity as a force for evil, all it really comes down to I think is the fact that it's the Information Age. With the advent of the internet, the tools to deconstruct any ancient mythology are never more than a few keystrokes away.

Onnes

Dayuum the millenials are far less religious to the point it's no comparison.

Take care when looking at those charts. Since for a given generation the statistics trend with age, you should really only compare Millennials with Gen Xers in the late '90s or Boomers in the late '70s. (These data points are circled on the charts.) What I find interesting is that in a number of cases the Boomers were less religious than the Millennials at a given age.

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?
Take care when looking at those charts. Since for a given generation the statistics trend with age, you should really only compare Millennials with Gen Xers in the late '90s or Boomers in the late '70s. (These data points are circled on the charts.) What I find interesting is that in a number of cases the Boomers were less religious than the Millennials at a given age.

Strange how the <1928 and the 1928-'45 cohorts track counter to each other on the most recent two points for many of those graphs, but otherwise trend similarly. Wonder why that is.