• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Do you think gaming is dieing slowly?

Is the game industry dieing or giving away for new talent?

• Yes to Dieing

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Yes to Talent and Quality

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • No it's not dying

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No it's not dying and learn to use "dying" correctly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roll the die

• Cut the die

• Total voters

Aquin

Haunted
Do you think gaming is dieing slowly? Or making way for new Talent

It feels like every new game that comes out is just an upgraded copy of something else. I mean, yes there are original features in every one, however i seem to be mostly interested in the indie games coming out which are actually done by talented people. Level 5's Ni No Kumi: Wrath of The White Witch for example.

The Ps4 is to be announced later today, and it is already seeing a potential Christmas release? All digital? Hell no. I have often said the Ps3 is going to be my last system, depending on what does come out for the PS4 i might cave and get one but it is not looking like it.

I think indie games are starting to make a good punch in the market (in a good way), and encouraging investors to look at those companies. I am thankful for Kickstarter when it comes to things like this.

I don't know whether i am getting tired of gaming, or i am just not seeing enough from game companies i once enjoyed on the PS2 or PS1. I was pretty upset when Studio Liverpool the makers of Wipeout HD recently closed their doors. I had been hoping they would DLC release the 2048 circuits for HD.

There are some games i will always play no matter what, but if i have to get another system just to play the next game in the series, is it really worth another $400 on top of the actual game? Computers have evolved enough where companies could easily cross release many of these games on PC, but no they stick with Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo and don't bother to cross-release.

Then you have games along the lines of Need For Speed, and Call of Duty that rehash everything over and over again, and charge retarded amounts for new half-assed DLC over multiple systems.

I am a huge adventure gamer, and thankfully that industry is still comming along strong. RIP Myst Series.

It feels like the industry is starting to finally look towards the indie producers for quality games over micro transaction ones. Perhaps the 90s will have a sort of re-visit?

What do you think, is it dieing or are we just seeing the downfall of rehashed overglorified crap making way for talent and fun?

Last edited:

Aquin

Haunted
What

no, gaming isn't dying what the fuck

if anything, it's growing

I ment in terms of certain games dieing out. It is growing when it comes to indie games and new companies sprouting up, yes. However i feel like people are getting tired of the same old thing, know what i mean?

Kalmor

Banned
Banned
No, no it isn't. If anything the videogame market is growing more and more and with new hardware (the next gen consoles) on the way soon we may see some more innovation and experimentation from companies. We already see some of this in the PC market by indie developers.

Aquin

Haunted
No, no it isn't. If anything the videogame market is growing more and more and with new hardware (the next gen consoles) on the way soon we may see some more innovation and experimentation from companies. We already see some of this in the PC market by indie developers.

That is what i am hoping for, that companies who make games like Call of Duty and Need For Speed who rely on rehashing will fall under to companies who actually begin to make GOOD games. Tired of seeing the same old crap and people freak out when a new one comes out thinking its the next best thing. Yet its just the same boring overdone game storyline with new pixels and maps.

The last game I enjoyed was The Walking Dead storyteller game, and before that, Dead Island. I've reverted back to playing older games I know are fun, because the new stuff is becoming less and less interesting while maintaining a price I can't afford anymore. I'm more of a PC gamer now, though i still have handhelds I use now and then.

I'm afraid that gaming isn't dying, but rather, becoming more and more the same. Expanding outwards rather than upwards (so to speak) and becoming bloated. Obviously we're seeing a lot of sequels and prequels, but the new games are just milling the same shit (good or bad) we've seen for years.

I've been checking out Indie games now and then, but they just aren't that fun, or aren't that long (or lack replayability). I used to buy a game and play it for months, if not years, but even a game like Dead Island only lasted me 4-6 months (as much as I enjoyed it, too many issues and annoyances). The last game I played longer than that, was Left 4 Dead 2, played that for a couple years and then that was pretty much it.

I've played tons of games in the last few years, but they rarely lasted me more than a few weeks. I still love the shit out of gaming, and can see me continuing for the foreseeable future, but just...not new stuff.

For now, it's actually more entertaining to read and discuss games than it is to play them, especially memes.

Last edited:

Aidy

they call me yolo swaggins
You seem to only be concentrating on a couple of AAA games there by 2 of the giant publishers (not developers) in the gaming industry. You need to remember that there're publishers like Ubisoft, Valve, Codemasters, Square Enix, SEGA and (when they still existed) THQ who release original games. And then you have things like Desura, Steam Greenlight and Alpha Funding which're getting incredibly popular because indie games are starting to really become a good market. Anyway, a game doesn't have to be done by an indie developer for it to be considered 'good', I can name a few AAA games that I really enjoy (i.e. Assassin's Creed, Grand Theft Auto, Borderlands, F1, Total War, etc...) and those series are just getting better and better as they go along.

Gaming will never die out, just as music, films, literature, art and anything else that requires creativity will never die. I do agree that there're a few games which are basically copies of the previous game, but that doesn't mean gaming is dying out. That just means that series will eventually die.

Car Fox

Formally "Torsion Beam"
Re: Do you think gaming is dieing slowly? Or making way for new Talent

It feels like every new game that comes out is just an upgraded copy of something else.
This is largly because gaming is in the part of the cycle where people are now stumpt on how to innovate something without it being bland, boring, or too radical. So to counter it, they expand upon pre-existing ideas.
I mean, yes there are original features in every one, however i seem to be mostly interested in the indie games coming out which are actually done by talented people.
This is because they are produced by indeviduals under an alias, or by small groupes of people. This generally gives it all the more hype, because it took less time and less people to make a commersial quallity game. Though alot of indie games are actually shot down by critics as opposed to people or vise-versa.
I don't know whether i am getting tired of gaming, or i am just not seeing enough from game companies i once enjoyed on the PS2 or PS1
This is because alot of these companies are either now subsidary companies of larger, big-name corperations that practically tell them what to do, or are low in funds because these comapanies have been outsold, and lack the funds to make games of better quality.
Computers have evolved enough where companies could easily cross release many of these games on PC, but no they stick with Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo and don't bother to cross-release.
One word: Money.
What do you think, is it dieing or are we just seeing the downfall of rehashed overglorified crap making way for talent and fun?
It isn't a downfall so much as people losing what it means to truely play a game. I think that just because something isn't socially viable, doesn't mean it isn't good, or for that matter great. Too me, too much exposer to online play is morally bad for some people, inclueding myself. To be a "true" gamer is to understand the meaning of gaming in general, and to play a game for what it's worth, not for what it has.

Last edited:

ADF

I've almost totally lost interest in gaming, and quite frankly when I look at modern gaming; I don't feel like I've lost out. I hear my friends who are still into gaming talk about the latest titles, and it's a perpetual stream of disappointment and poor production quality. What was once a unique platform, PC, has been forced into becoming a fourth console by gaming industry. One more platform for mega publishers to copy/paste the latest cross platform titles on, and let the gamer worry about upgrading their hardware to accommodate their never ending decline in optimisation standards. One of my friends has the new Alien's game, and for whatever reason performance substantially improves for him when he's running at the console's resolution. If he goes one resolution lower, performance falls off a cliff... god knows.

Platforms have largely become arbitrary beyond what the 1st party is willing to throw money at. It doesn't matter what the next Playstation has over the next XBox and vice versa, the majority of their titles are going to be a carbon copy of the same game. Games that rarely do anything interesting, because they're so expensive to make these days they have to appeal to the broadest audience possible. So we've already played 95% of what is going to come out next gen, it's just shinier and with whatever gimmicks they come up with. It's gotten so bad that even Nvidia has jumped on the gimmick bandwagon to try to sell new GPUs, because there is no demand for new hardware beyond accommodating developers shitty porting.

So I'm quite happy to just sit back and not care if gaming continues to stagnate, the odd title does me, I'm looking at other things to fill that gap where gaming once was for me.

Percy

o-o
It's not dying. Sure, there may not be as many quality games being churned out now, but people will still game. Especially on the PC.

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
Gaming has been "dying" since the 1990s. And yet here we are in 2013 still going...

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
Build your own computer, play EVERY GAME. the playstation 1 was a great console, the rest of the consoles turned gaming into a giant fucktarded money hungry baby who ruins everything. the newest game i own is 3 or 4 years old? the games i regularly play are way older than that. i remember when games used to be exciting when they came out, and you rarely saw a sequel, and if you did, it was only one. now gaming is like hollywood, the more they can milk some half baked shit the better. ill bet we'll keep going to ass creed 15, COD 99, and whatever the fuck else piles of shit that i will never spend money on but millions piss out hard earned dollars for. the only thing that has "grown" in gaming is the bullshit factor, the need for shinier, bigger, easier games. count me out.

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
I don't think it's dying. There are still games coming out that are excellent so things must be going well.

Can I advise you to ignore what you don't like and focus on what you do like OP? I went through my "CoD sucks video gaming is over!!" phase too.

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
Gaming isn't dying, but very much like the movie industry before it it's going through a less than stellar transitional phase. I expect things to pick up again about a year into up coming console cycle either during or after some big in industry shake ups.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
Gaming isn't dying, but very much like the movie industry before it it's going through a less than stellar transitional phase.
Yeah. It's getting to be like TV or movies where we're seeing lots of rehashes and remakes. But like a lot of us have said the industry is fine. It's just going through an awkward phase.

Also Dark Souls only came out last year so all is well :V

Aleu

Deuces
Video games won't die so long as there are those that contribute to entertainment. If there were to be no more story tellers, artists, innovative thinkers, etc etc THEN video games will die.

I know there's the argument "b-but rehashes!" Dude, Madden's rehashes been going on since the 90's and yet we still got some great games since then. Some of the rehashes are so noticeable because the companies that put them out there are BIG NAME COMPANIES. So of COURSE that's all you're going to see because they make sure that is the game that you buy by advertising the fuck out of it.

Car Fox

Formally "Torsion Beam"
Trust me, if gaming was dying, we'd be seeing less and less, not more and more. It's the same way with the automotive industry I care so much about.

Caden_The_Dingo

Submissive
Saying the gaming industry is dying because of less AAA titles is like saying the movie industry is dying because each director doesn't release two movies a year.

Furry Anarchy

No idea what to write here...
I think the gaming industry is rapidly growing because of the new technology that keeps on coming out so more game companies can make better quality games and people will always want to play video games in my opinion.

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
Where's the "no" option

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.

Demensa

Characterless sack of potatoes
NO! Of course not.
Many people seem to think "Oh, we don't see enough games with storyline, or -insert genre here- games" when most of the time there are plenty of games coming out; you just need to look harder for the games you want.
The general perception of quite a few people seems to be that action and FPS games with a lack of story are taking the place of 'good' games. From what I've seen however, this can't be further from the truth.

There will always be demand for games that people want to play. It's not like developers will make systems and games that people don't like... If they do, then people will complain, and buy something better.
The talent in both indie game producers and large companies seems to be increasing steadily.

Alastair Snowpaw

The Skull Paw
the sheer stupidity of thinking gaming is dieing because of Triple AAA titles for whatever dick fuck things they do is profoundly huge. Also poeple constantly have said that since the start of video games so please just stop being silly in the dumbest kind of way >.>