• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Does anyone else NOT have a fursona?

Iracuse

Just sort of curious about this. I've been sort of an outside member / observer with the furry community for a few years now, and I've never got around to creating a fursona (mostly because I could never decide on a species). I have plenty of furry / anthro characters, but I never bothered having a self-insert / version of myself. Anyone else like this?

homie

the homiest of the homies
I've never truly "connected" with a character enough to call it my fursona without at least some hesitation.

Iracuse

Is it that hard to choose a species other than a wolf or canine? Damn, I didn't know
I'm a notoriously indecisive person. One day I'll think "Y'know what, I think a rat is just the one for me", another day I'll think "Y'know, maybe it'll be a horse. Sounds perfect.", then I'll bounce around from bunny to moth to something else entirely.

I've never truly "connected" with a character enough to call it my fursona without at least some hesitation.
I've got a signature character I use in all my writing and RP, but she's so drastically different from me that I don't think calling her a fursona would be justified.

homie

I've got a signature character I use in all my writing and RP, but she's so drastically different from me that I don't think calling her a fursona would be justified.

All of my characters are extremely different than me and I really feel you about not feeling like referring to any of them as a fursona is justified. If anyone asks and seems put off by those without true fursonas, I just go ahead and call one of my primary characters mine, though I feel like I'm lying.

Though, I think the beauty of the fandom being based solely on art and expression is that it doesn't really matter if you choose something specific to represent you. You're always changing so why not let your artistic vision of yourself change alongside that? Anyways, you can always redraw your character/fursona or have someone do it for you!

Iracuse

All of my characters are extremely different than me and I really feel you about not feeling like referring to any of them as a fursona is justified. If anyone asks and seems put off by those without true fursonas, I just go ahead and call one of my primary characters mine, though I feel like I'm lying.

Though, I think the beauty of the fandom being based solely on art and expression is that it doesn't really matter if you choose something specific to represent you. You're always changing so why not let your artistic vision of yourself change alongside that? Anyways, you can always redraw your character/fursona or have someone do it for you!
Eh, I never got why people would judge regarding NOT having a fursona. A member of the community is still a member of the community, after all.

Aye, I could probably do something like that. If I had any shred of artistic talent in me I'd draw my own fursona (I already have a design in mind. If only there were a way to transfer thoughts into an image file...), as for the latter... I'd either be spending a fortune on commissions (which I already do), or I'd be sitting around and waiting for someone to do a request for me (Which nobody does. I understand why, art's a difficult thing so nobody wants to do it for free).

homie

Eh, I never got why people would judge regarding NOT having a fursona. A member of the community is still a member of the community, after all.

Aye, I could probably do something like that. If I had any shred of artistic talent in me I'd draw my own fursona (I already have a design in mind. If only there were a way to transfer thoughts into an image file...), as for the latter... I'd either be spending a fortune on commissions (which I already do), or I'd be sitting around and waiting for someone to do a request for me (Which nobody does. I understand why, art's a difficult thing so nobody wants to do it for free).

I'm actually free right now if you want shoddy ideas/doodles of your potential fursona, dude :')

All the details for my owed work were on FA so I can't really work on those right now and I'm super bored. Dx

Iracuse

I'm actually free right now if you want shoddy ideas/doodles of your potential fursona, dude :')

All the details for my owed work were on FA so I can't really work on those right now and I'm super bored. Dx
Well, if ya wouldn't mind... I'll send you a PM and we'll go from there. Much appreciated.

shapeless0ne

it's a moth! it a dragon! no, it's a avali boi!
yep i've had this issue for years..... at this point I think it's a new fur thing that no one likes to talks about.

shapeless0ne

honestly i think it has something to do with not having a reference sheet.

Caraid

Classy cat
My character was a deer at first, and then I changed my mind and made her into a cat because that's just more "me", but it took me having a deer first to come to that realization. It's fine to choose and change your mind later. Might even make it easier if you decide first and run with it for a while. If it doesn't feel right, change. Or maybe it'll grow on you. Just pick something - it's not exactly a life or death decision.

shapeless0ne

I started out as a wolf, then became a shape-shiftier, then t-rex ,then raptor, and finally dragon.

DrawWithLaura

Wow WTF is going on?!
I consider myself a part of the furry community, but not I'm not actually a furry myself ahaa.
I recently made a sona (my avatar <-- ) and she is furry, but not sure if she'd count as a fursona . ^. anyways, this was after 6 years of being in the community, so maybe you'll have one later? Or never? Or just a series of characters that are related to you in some small way. I'm sure anything is fine c:

TidesofFate

Your friendly neighborhood Executioner
I consider myself a part of the furry community, but not I'm not actually a furry myself ahaa.
I recently made a sona (my avatar <-- ) and she is furry, but not sure if she'd count as a fursona . ^. anyways, this was after 6 years of being in the community, so maybe you'll have one later? Or never? Or just a series of characters that are related to you in some small way. I'm sure anything is fine c:
Same here. I don't actually consider myself a furry. I thought I was a few months ago, realized I wasn't, was gone for a few months from the forum, and stuck around when I saw the site was back up because the people are fun.

Katriel

I didn't exactly have one from 2009 - a little over a month ago, though my participation tended to be intermittent / lukewarm. I needed the name ... x)

xanderless

I've tried desperately to make a fursona for years, but for various reasons I just don't have an emotional connection to even my ART so being able to make that personal 'this is me' connection with a character.. Basically impossible. Doesn't stop be from drawing different attempts though. I feel out of place without one, like I don't have anything to represent myself in this community.

RinkuTheRuffian

Punished "Venom" Rinku
Yep, I was on the same boat as you at one point. I just had a lot of characters that I abandoned recently, then suddenly my fursona was realized out of bits and pieces of the recycled characters until it just became me in dog form.
Now it's just my fursona, and as for my one other character: a personified Windows error in the form of an anthropomorphic female gecko made out of electricity and early 90's advertising aesthetics who lives only to observe human conflict... don't ask.

A lot of people I see who don't have fursonas just like the subject, but don't consider themselves furries. Maybe they're embarrassed, or are struggling to find a species they relate to, something like that.

NplusD

I need to make one tbh, although I suppose that I do have a somewhat fursona with my nonfur boyfriend (who finds furs heavily cringe worthy and thought he'd never be caught dead dating a fur), although it's just a lil Pomeranian I doodle with him as an Alaskan Malamute for lil lovey dovey pictures. Tbh I need to make myself at least a character to be my main or someone who'd be fun to have a suit of when I'm older; a character to click with.

Rhee

Nope I really only have characters, there are a few I'd love to be, but that would end up giving up a few of my core personality and that's not going to happen ever

PandashK

i was pretty much in the same situation, until like.. yesterday xD, just got inspired and liked huskies (plural for husky? sorry i'm not native english-speaker). Not 100% sure if this is going to be my definitive fursona but i pretty much like how it's going so far :3

Xenguy

Snail
Raises hand

Meee

After I stopped calling myself a furry and my obsession with anthros faded, my fursona turned into my character, so I don't really have a 'fursona' per say anymore.

I might make another though, just for the sole reason of being my furry fandom self, a sort of 'new fursona', separate from my characters.

And this time he's gonna be a snail (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
I kinda have one, but I don't really identify with her like I do when I draw myself as myself. It's more of a "oh, hey, there's that dog thing I'm using for animal artwork examples right now".