• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Does anyone have a Sound Blaster Live! and if you do, what do you think of it? Is it recommended?

Sodapopfox69

I was recently planning on building a PC for games from around 2009-2013, and was looking at getting a Sound Blaster Live! card. I was just wondering if anybody has/had one and, you if do if you would recommend it.

Gabriel Foxx

An absoultely trustworthy fox. Trust me.
I have one, but it's early 2000s, so I don't know what the new ones are like or if there are new ones. It gave me a few compatibility issues, and in the end sound cards aren't really imperative to computers nowadays, especially for not 100% modern games, and just add more complication than necessary for minimal gain. All in all, I'd just stick to buying a better processor, but that's just me. :) Hope I could help, and if you have any questions about pc building just ask :)

Kinare

RAWR
My desktop has the "Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium" in it and I love it. If you're going to be listening to music a ton on it and are a bit of an audiophile like me, getting a good sound card will be nice. It's also something that lasts an extremely long time. I've even got a different motherboard (and thus CPU + RAM) and the sound card works just fine still.

If all you're going to be doing is playing video games and maybe playing occasional media on it, then it's not going to make much difference for you and the money is better put into getting a better GPU or CPU, maybe more RAM depending on what you'd settle with otherwise.

It's also meant for use with Creative's now Deprecated/Discontinued EAX (Environmental Audio Extensions) technology used in many PC games from the late 1990s until the Mid-to-Late 2000s.

rekcerW

The last soundcard I had was a Soundblaster 2, and it was pretty kickass lol. I haven't had one since.

Can't remember if that was on the Pentium II or the Duron lol. Man that brings me back.

hara-surya

Deviated Prevert
It's also meant for use with Creative's now Deprecated/Discontinued EAX (Environmental Audio Extensions) technology used in many PC games from the late 1990s until the Mid-to-Late 2000s.

The changes in the sound subsystem introduced by Vista made it impossible for the drivers to work like they did with older versions of Windows. Creative tried a kludge with OpenAL, but the reality was that between the software-side improvements introduced with Vista, along with Realtek and Broadcom putting out high-quality chips compatible with it and motherboard makers taking sound quality seriously (like isolating the traces to prevent crossover noise) they became irrelevant. It didn't help that Creative drivers were (and likely still are) an absolute dumpster fire (the only BSODs I got with Windows 7 were because of Creative drivers) and they burned what little goodwill they had with gamers (which wasn't much, I recall they were despised). It doesn't help that it really doesn't take that much computational power to make high-quality sound.

Frankly, I'm amazed they're still in business.

Of all companies, though, nVidia is getting into the high-quality sound business because of their raytracing silicon on the 20x0 and newer cards. In reality they're simply an array of SIMD registers that perform math used by raytracing faster than more generic GPU SIMD registers. (And "cores" on graphics cards are in reality what Intel or AMD would call a register and modern x86-64 chips have a few dozen of them per full-fat core.) It doesn't care if it's calculating light, sound, radio waves, Newtonian particles, or whatever it simply speeds up the math. So, what's going on is they're providing toolkits (which might simply end up in DirectX) to calculate the path of sound waves.

Now, professional sound cards that cost four figures to walk in the door and the sky's the limit on price are a totally different story.