• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Does anyone have advice on moving to Canada?

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Healthcare in the US is privatized so if you don’t get a great job with benefits you’re screwed. Plus the minimum wage here in Tennessee isn’t enough to afford a place to live. Even when I made 10$ an hour for 30+ hours I couldn’t afford a decent place :(

Moving to another country doesn't necessarily mean you will be included under their health system.

Immigrants to the UK have to pay extra taxes to be covered, compared to British citizens,
and immigrants to many western European countries have to demonstrate they are healthy and seek private insurance cover.

Your best bet for challenging the problems you have is probably career advancement; are there promotions you can pursue? What additional training might you need to find a higher paying job?
This will be easier than emigrating. Indeed many countries require you earn a certain amount in order to emigrate anyway.

Weirdo9018

Artist?
Moving to another country doesn't necessarily mean you will be included under their health system.

Immigrants to the UK have to pay extra taxes to be covered, compared to British citizens,
and immigrants to many western European countries have to demonstrate they are healthy and seek private insurance cover.

Your best bet for challenging the problems you have is probably career advancement; are there promotions you can pursue? What additional training might you need to find a higher paying job?
This will be easier than emigrating. Indeed many countries require you earn a certain amount in order to emigrate anyway.
Hmm well guess I'm screwed I've only had jobs that paid me around minimum wage and never got great hours

Connor J. Coyote

The ¥oteƵer Extraordinaire
Well - (come to think of it).... if the OP (and others like him) are merely looking for more economic opportunities, (given that there aren't many where they currently are) - then...... there are *many places* right here in the U.S. as well, that can offer up a potentially better life.

There's places even right in the OP's own backyard (regionally), that may be just as much worth taking a look at (as is Canada). Places like Nashville, (which, pre-pandemic) was doing rather well as a city, I hear..... or, maybe some parts of Georgia (maybe the Savannah area; or - down by the coast), or.... even down to Florida (in some areas).... which could certainly offer up a new start for a young person that's looking to better themselves.

And so, looking around (here within the U.S.) can be just as much worth considering, and taking a look at..... (the only thing is) - is that when one is looking at the whole U.S. - it'll largely come down to finding one's own "niche" in a particular area that may work out for them well..... (and that'll depend on the individual, of course), as different people can often times have different needs.

But, I wouldn't consider the Bay Area (the San Francisco area) as a place to relocate to, though..... (in all honesty). As many transplants have found out (the hard way), just like in Canada - that relocating there isn't so easy..... given the cost of living there and the regional issues that many residents are encountering and strugging with.... (both pre-pandemic and currently).

But..... there are some places in the West - that one can look at as well, (that don't have a lot of the Bay Area problems).... places like Arizona, or Oregon, some parts of California (away from L.A. and the Bay Area), or - even some parts of Nevada.... which (unlike L.A. and the Bay Area) - won't be high on your "misery index" and be an economic strain.... which could be just as bad, if not worse - (from where one is relocating from).

Netanye Dakabi

people call me queen
Advice on moving to Canada?

yeah, get the hell out of that hecksite they call the united states.

A friend of mine said across Lake Superior in a bucket to get into Canada a while back.

I can't believe such a "developed" country could be so backwards.

Weirdo9018

Artist?
Advice on moving to Canada?

yeah, get the hell out of that hecksite they call the united states.

A friend of mine said across Lake Superior in a bucket to get into Canada a while back.

I can't believe such a "developed" country could be so backwards.
Ikr it's just pure greed over people ever since Ronald Reagan took over in the 80's unfortunately

Weirdo9018

Artist?
14A1F8CA-8A24-4475-8813-40F88645AA19.jpeg
E1DC948C-D209-4326-841D-5942AFB7CF12.jpeg