• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Does anyone know what youkai are?

Fruitythebeetle

Goes by kappapeachie now
Sorry for the random question here, don’t see many furries with a interest in Japanese culture that isn’t just anime. Hell some folks think Japanese culture is all anime when’s it’s really not. East Asian culture has been something I found a lot of interest in especially now a days. I made my fursona a kappa for this reason alone.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
Yea. They're represented in a lot of videogames.
I haven't been able to find an organized list of them to choose from, so I'll just pick the vampire tree. Gives me a lot to work with in one of my stories.
Wouldn't be too happy having it represent me as a character though. Bark secs is not good secs imo. Too much chaffing.

Kuroserama

Just a fox.
I love Japanese culture~ the language, styles, religions, history, peculiar love for odd television ads...

I really like the chochin obake, the lantern ghosts/demons (so cute!). But I would hope to be a kitsune yokai. I feel that kitsune are probably a popular choice. Maybe one day I’ll obtain that status, but for now I am but a humble fox.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
I designed one, inspired by a dream that itself was likely inspired by Big Man Japan ( a movie that features all sorts of different yokai)
Very good movie BTW I recommend it

tamara590

curious wolf
im super interested in japanese culture, especially yokai, nice to see more furs who like them, and kappa and kitsune are my faves.
id love to have a kappa char too, i think they are pretty cute^^

JuniperW

Birb Fanatic
Yep, I know a few (you can thank Pokemon for that!)
Yokai are very interesting and I plan to eventually use the mythology surrounding them to inspire some kind of project.

Meta_Tiara

I’m pretty sure that the cyclops and umbrellas in Pumpkin Zone from Super Mario Land 2 are yokai. They, along with the other enemies there really stand out from a visual department.

zandelux

AKA Kardek
I’m pretty sure that the cyclops and umbrellas in Pumpkin Zone from Super Mario Land 2 are yokai. They, along with the other enemies there really stand out from a visual department.

Wow, TIL!

I did, however, know about the zombie-like guys in the first Super Mario Land (https://www.mariowiki.com/Pionpi). They're not yōkai but they do come from Chinese folklore and have a similar vibe to me.

I've got a great book called Yokai Attack, which is the best English-language guide I've seen: https://www.amazon.com/Yokai-Attack-Japanese-Monster-Survival/dp/4770030703

Rassah

I have watched my share of Inuyasha (a few times), so yes, I know what youkai are -.-

dragon-in-sight

mane diva
Yokai are sprites from the japanese folklore, they belong to the Obake that are a genus of all different kinds of spirits in the shiinto religion. Yokai however are often discribed as tricksters of malevolent and mischievous nature. They are basicly like the Kobolds of western folklore but more diverse in apperance.