• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Does furry have something to do with your "inner-child"?

Does furry have something to do with your "inner-child"?

• Yes

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Kinda

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • No

Votes: 34 45.3%

• Total voters

Aktosh

I actually smoke that much.
It seems to me that many furries think of furry as something to connect with their "inner-child" or the fursuiters do it to "feel like a kid again" and many furries came into the fandom through movies for children.

To me it really isn't that. Idk it just doesn't have anything childish for me. I just like anthro animals nothing more.

Let me know what you think.

Volkodav

Dad****er
I agree
I think it does have a lot to do w/ being able to act like a kid again. I remember when I was young I always wanted to be a "blue cat when I grow up".

Eske

Don't believe the mask...
I voted 'kinda', because I have difficulty understanding how the idea of having an 'inner child' actually works (in the figurative sense obviously, I know where babies come from. :V).

For me, I guess a lot of the furry art I enjoy is rather childish from an outside perspective -- other people see it as being typically me, because in real life I'm a rather quiet, naive, animal-loving, child-like person. So drawing cute animal-people cartoons seems to fit that. But personally, it doesn't make me feel more like a child than anything else in my life. I'm still the same 'me' I was ten or twelve years ago, it's not like I separated into two different personas somewhere along the way, and need to consult my 'child side' once in a while.

On the other hand, it is something I've been intrigued by since I was very young (much like a lot of my current interests, actually), so there is a link to my childhood there. I always preferred those cliché furry-kid movies (Robin Hood, Lion King, etc) to anything starring people, and I never drew anything except animals and animal-people. It's not that I'm revisiting my past self, I just never stopped being that same person.

So.. does that make my answer a 'yes'?

Aktosh

I voted 'kinda', because I have difficulty understanding how the idea of having an 'inner child' actually works (in the figurative sense obviously, I know where babies come from. :V).

For me, I guess a lot of the furry art I enjoy is rather childish from an outside perspective -- other people see it as being typically me, because in real life I'm a rather quiet, naive, animal-loving, child-like person. So drawing cute animal-people cartoons seems to fit that. But personally, it doesn't make me feel more like a child than anything else in my life. I'm still the same 'me' I was ten or twelve years ago, it's not like I separated into two different personas somewhere along the way, and need to consult my 'child side' once in a while.

On the other hand, it is something I've been intrigued by since I was very young (much like a lot of my current interests, actually), so there is a link to my childhood there. I always preferred those cliché furry-kid movies (Robin Hood, Lion King, etc) to anything starring people, and I never drew anything except animals and animal-people. It's not that I'm revisiting my past self, I just never stopped being that same person.

So.. does that make my answer a 'yes'?

I think kinda was the right answer.

Stormtail

I agree with Eske, but I answered no. I think that furry is just a part of who I am, not specifically something from my childhood. My love of animals and anthropomorphism isn't something I connect with my childhood at all.

Aktosh

General-jwj

Prime Minister of Belgium
I voted kinda too. Because I always answer every question with kinda. Or sorta. Or maybe. It sometimes bothers people. Anyone heard of the neutral race in Futurama ? I'm kinda like that, but not really because that's a very bold statement to make. In my opinion.

Right, quit messing around :p

What I'm saying is there is a childish element to it as far as I'm concerned, but it's not a quantifiable quality so I just can't tell if it's all childishness or not.

Radiohead

Apply directly to forehead.
I answered no. I had no interest in animals beyond my pets in childhood. I watched Disney movies, but that's par for the course in childhood. Simply put, I didn't have an interest in the fandom until I met someone who did. I've realized that I'm different from the majority of furries (my parents are amazing, I was never awkward or at a loss when it came to being social, and I loved getting out of the house). Sometimes I wonder why I'm here.

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
Erm..no. I've always liked anthro art, but it doesn't have anything to do with my inner child.

Aktosh

I answered no. I had no interest in animals beyond my pets in childhood. I watched Disney movies, but that's par for the course in childhood. Simply put, I didn't have an interest in the fandom until I met someone who did. I've realized that I'm different from the majority of furries (my parents are amazing, I was never awkward or at a loss when it came to being social, and I loved getting out of the house). Sometimes I wonder why I'm here.

I think it's just a stereotype that all furries are those weird social retards. I am very popular at school and everybody knows me, I used to hang out just with the "cool kid's" (but I stopped that. Just because they're "cool" doesn't mean they're nice people and I just got tired of all that goddamn drama.) I used to go out with friends all the time (srsly, ALL THE TIME) but I kinda slowed that down a little bit (mostly because my grades went down, I got drunk/smoked pot all the time and so on. "Absturz" as we call it here in Switzerland) but i still go out, just not that often.

EDIT: and my parents are awesome.

Last edited:

Ben

Banned
Banned
Considering I'm still attached to the idea of writing a novel loosely based on characters I made when I was seven, and was kind of exposed to sexuality at a young age, I can't help but think yes. I mean, there's a lot of childhood whimsy attached to the concept of cartoon animals, so voting no just seems like a really strange concept to me.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
My childhood's anus is bleeding.

FlynnCoyote

Takin it slow.
I think yes. I remember all the usual childhood enjoyment of those animal based cartoons, and even though I have moved into a more mature aspect in the past decade (I`m 23 now) I will admit there is a part of me that never grew up. And it is this part of my psyche that enjoys the fandom most.

So... Yes. For me at least.

Tiger In A Tie

Say what now?
My answer is kinda. I've been drawing since I was 9, and back in 5th grade I started drawing anthros (no idea what furry was or anthro was) in armor and weapons because I loved the way they looked. Also, my entire life I've been surrounded by many pets and have always loved animals, so animals are a huge part of me. So my childhood (well, late childhood) was filled with animals and anthros.

And I strive to stay connected with my inner child. That's part of the reason I want to illustrate children's books as a career. I don't do furry for the sole purpose of my inner child, but I have always liked animal people.

Tanginello

Highly Overrated
I said "no".

I mean, I've been drawing furry since I was young but I don't think that indicates that furry has anything to do with my inner child. I also used to cook as a kid and travel and play video games but doing these things now certainly doesn't make me "feel like a kid again". You can enjoy things you enjoyed in childhood without still having a child's mentality or reverting into a "younger self".

My interest in "furry" grew as I grew, from that fun thing I did as a kid into the much more grown up thing I do because it helps me pay for groceries.

RayO_ElGatubelo

My gif animation doesn't work
Nah, I hate children.

My multilingual, world-traveling, hedonistic, promiscuous werepanther fursona hardly screams childhood.

General-jwj

Prime Minister of Belgium
Anthropomorphic literature. >_>

Holy Shit ! Sentences and words that look like people ? That sounds AWESOME ! How come I haven't seen any on FA yet ? Is it a niche or something ???

:V