• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Does it take long for your first commission?

Kope

Artist?
I have been trying to improve my art and make some money while I’m at and was just wondering how long it takes usually for a beginning artist.

Kope

Artist?
I took 1 month to get my 1st customer ever on FAF.
Your art is pretty good so I find that surprising. I often wonder if my art might be lacking so that might be the reason I find it hard getting a commission

RangerReb

Quitters never win, winners never quit.
Have yet to get my first real money commission. But I've under sold myself and done tons of commissions and requests for fake currency (Amino Coins.)

No matter how much I advertise (even created my own website), how good I think my art is, or even offering art for essentially pennies to get my name out there, I still can't get commissioned. People will oggle and comment on my stuff saying how good it is, and whenever I offer free art people clamor all over me begging to get a piece. But when I charge as low as $5 for a piece of art? Crickets. I guess the style I offer is just not what people are looking for.

I wish I could offer you advice, but I can't lol. Just stay in the game and keep grinding and improving your art. Branch out and try different styles to see if you can attract a broader client base. Don't compromise your style completely of course, but don't be afraid to try new things. Best of luck to you. I probably should go back to doing freelance logo and graphic design. Actually made a decent bit of money doing that.

RangerReb

Quitters never win, winners never quit.
the reasons I don't go on amino, the people on there haggle too much. it is only good for easing bordom and earning pocket change.
Pretty much ha. I don't accept requests there anymore. Tired of having thirteen year olds offering pocket change for art that takes hours to do.

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
With the internet, the art market is oversaturated. There are a lot of hobbyists offering similar skill levels for a lot less because it isn't their only source of income (or they just don't care).

Just be persistent. Advertise. And while you're not making commissions, work on bettering your art skills by drawing whatever you want!

Kope

Artist?
Have yet to get my first real money commission. But I've under sold myself and done tons of commissions and requests for fake currency (Amino Coins.)

No matter how much I advertise (even created my own website), how good I think my art is, or even offering art for essentially pennies to get my name out there, I still can't get commissioned. People will oggle and comment on my stuff saying how good it is, and whenever I offer free art people clamor all over me begging to get a piece. But when I charge as low as $5 for a piece of art? Crickets. I guess the style I offer is just not what people are looking for.

I wish I could offer you advice, but I can't lol. Just stay in the game and keep grinding and improving your art. Branch out and try different styles to see if you can attract a broader client base. Don't compromise your style completely of course, but don't be afraid to try new things. Best of luck to you. I probably should go back to doing freelance logo and graphic design. Actually made a decent bit of money doing that.
Sorry to hear that I like your style though.

Kope

Artist?
With the internet, the art market is oversaturated. There are a lot of hobbyists offering similar skill levels for a lot less because it isn't their only source of income (or they just don't care).

Just be persistent. Advertise. And while you're not making commissions, work on bettering your art skills by drawing whatever you want!
Yeah that sounds about right. I try to practice everyday to get better so hopefully one day it’ll commission worthy. Also get to have fun drawing so that’s a plus =)