• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Does your sona have to be the same ages as you?

Dexin

Your friendly neighborhood space dog
Would it be okay to have my sona be younger than I actually am?

Or would that be weird?

I kinda want to make my sona 21 but my real age is closer to 30...

so would that be weird or is it fine and I'm just overthinking things o_O

D

Deleted member 82554

No, that would be stupid. It's all about personal preference.

Dexin

No, that would be stupid. It's all about personal preference.

Hehe thanks, I figured I was just overthinking it XD

Also, your signature is awesome btw and so true

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
No? Why should it?

I have entire life written out for my sona so depending on rp I will be either 18 year young musketeer which is afraid of louder noises, 30 year old colonel with more ambition than skill or 50 year old bitter general with skill and experience but lack of will to live anymore and the last option I play out mostly.

And I am 25

Arix

Ladies, form a line.
The feral version of my guy is in his early 600s.

Thing to remember is that ultimately, a sona is a fictional character, no matter how closely they represent you. And as such, they can be whatever you, the creator, feels is right for them.

DariusTheLoony

Darius Nack
Before my character have the same age as me but now that he is a doll, age has no stop it for him as he may grow facial hair and his body May age in the inside but his looks will not change unless his body breaks down.

Tendo64

Cat With A Guitar
Until this year, my fursona was older than me. Even though I plan to make her age when I age from this point on, there's no reason why there would be rules to your fursona in general. It's your character, do what makes you happy!

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
My fox does, but my bird is probably younger (in calendar years that is).

WitherSDL

CEO of SDL
My sona is older than me by a few years.

Rayd

profound asshole
i plan on my sona being perpetually 21, but i imagine it'll get more and more depressing the more i surpass my sona's age with my own. not excited for that.

i'd say that hopefully i won't be a furry by the time i'm 30 but i've kind of figured i'm stuck here forever awhile ago.

ConorHyena

nazi hunter
My sona's older than me by a year, but eventually I'm propably going to have him age with me.

But I'm seeing no issues with a younger sona.

TheCynicalViet

He's 16 so he's 4 years younger than me but I need him to be young and stupid for the character development I'm gonna give him.

Dexin

i plan on my sona being perpetually 21, but i imagine it'll get more and more depressing the more i surpass my sona's age with my own. not excited for that.

i'd say that hopefully i won't be a furry by the time i'm 30 but i've kind of figured i'm stuck here forever awhile ago.

I've had a few people talk about "outgrowing the fandom" or "hopefully won't be here when I'm older". Is that a thing? Personally, I was kinda planing on be in the fandom indefinitely, but is there like a cut off that I don't know about? Is it weird/unpopular to be over 30 and still a furry? O~O'

Rayd

profound asshole
I've had a few people talk about "outgrowing the fandom" or "hopefully won't be here when I'm older". Is that a thing? Personally, I was kinda planing on be in the fandom indefinitely, but is there like a cut off that I don't know about? Is it weird/unpopular to be over 30 and still a furry? O~O'
i just personally always held onto that thought of shame of being a furry for that long. not as in a general thing for everybody, but a personal thing. the furry fandom doesn't really do a whole lot of positive things for me, so i'm hoping by the time i'm 30, i'm into other things that does do positive things for me, so that my life has meaning and whatnot.

i assume certain other people are sort of the same?

Dexin

i just personally always held onto that thought of shame of being a furry for that long. not as in a general thing for everybody, but a personal thing. the furry fandom doesn't really do a whole lot of positive things for me, so i'm hoping by the time i'm 30, i'm into other things that does do positive things for me, so that my life has meaning and whatnot.

i assume certain other people are sort of the same?

Ah, I see. Yeah. If someone has internalized guilt about it or is experiencing negative effects from it, then I could see why they'd want to leave/move passed it at some point. That's understandable.

For me the fandom does both positive and negative things for me. But mostly positive, so I consider it something I'd want to keep in my life, at least for a good while ^_^

kiroku

I see a ton of post asking is sonas "have to" be X or "can sonas do this" or something about color/species. The cool thing about making your own sona is, exactly that, you get to make it up! There are no rules for any of this. Yes, there are common themes and guides people use, but it's not like you're out the group if you break them!

Arix

Ladies, form a line.
I'm 31 and have absolutely no plans on leaving any time soon.

Personally, I don't really believe in "outgrowing" things at all. You're allowed to like whatever you like, and no one has any right to call you wrong for it. A real sign of maturity isn't outgrowing "kiddie" things, it's in learning that it's okay to like such things. CS Lewis once said something along the lines of "There is nothing more childish than the fear of appearing childish".

Dexin

I'm 31 and have absolutely no plans on leaving any time soon.

Personally, I don't really believe in "outgrowing" things at all. You're allowed to like whatever you like, and no one has any right to call you wrong for it. A real sign of maturity isn't outgrowing "kiddie" things, it's in learning that it's okay to like such things. CS Lewis once said something along the lines of "There is nothing more childish than the fear of appearing childish".

hehe well put. Personally, I don't think hobbies and fandoms are things we outgrow either. We may stop finding enjoyment in them, but that has nothing to do wtih age. I was just curious what other people thought, since four or five people have mention "outgrowing" the fandom to me recently.

Kinare

RAWR
As many others have stated already, your sona can be the age you want. A key thing to remember in creating a sona is it's all fantasy in the end, so it can be or do or act like anything your mind can make sense of, even if others may scoff at it because it doesn't fit their definition of "what works". I haven't decided the age of my sona yet, but I think younger than me, if not by much. The way my story works she can't possibly be super old, despite it being possible for her species to live far longer than humans.

On the minor topic above of outgrowing things, I too am 31 and still like Disney or other animated films and video games and action figures - all stuff normally for kids, though the action figures are not something a kid can just go buy from the store and aren't meant for playing with, so I can sorta argue they're made for adults... I will probably never stop liking those things, and there's nothing wrong with that! It harms no one, so any nay-sayers can bugger off.