• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Doesnt "furry fan" sound better then "furry"?

depthjacks

If you have drugs you better call me in.
I never understood the grammar behind this. Why are we calling ourselfs the thing we are a fan of? Thats like calling myself a ps3, because im a big fan of said console. Do you see what i mean? Man, the internet does not like grammar.

D

Deleted member 82554

Good grief Joey, can't believe you're still here.

But to answer your question, when it comes to hobbies and interests, then yes, yes I do think that saying you are a fan of something is a lot more appropriate then saying you are that something.

However, in the case of the fandom there is no definition of what a furry really is, that is a term we coined or adopted ourselves in relation to anthropomorphic animals and how they are generally portrayed in fictional work. At least that's my take on it.

Jackpot Raccuki

Although half canine, is not a wolf.
I'd prefer to be called a fluffy. You furries got nothing on my fluffy fur.

Joke aside, there's no reason to say you're a "furry fan", it just sounds too much when furry does the job.

Sir Thaikard

GOTTA WRITE FAST.
I don't understand the question. You can be a furry yourself but hate furries. Or you could like other furries but not be a furry yourself.

Where is it implied that two need to be mutually exclusive?

MosquitoBeest

Small but Mighty
I'm most likely in the minority but I like that. Better than "anthropomorphic animal fan" and i don't like the "furry" label for myself as I am just a fan of the art, it's not my life or anything like that.

N

Nyro46

tbh I only call myself a furry if I'm either kinda joking, or actually talking to other people apart of the fandom. Otherwise, I just say I'm a "cartoon animal artist" or the like. I've never been a really big fan of labels anyway and would rather not deal with the stigma "furry" has for the most part.

but then people assume I draw anime for some reason

quoting_mungo

I never understood the grammar behind this. Why are we calling ourselfs the thing we are a fan of? Thats like calling myself a ps3, because im a big fan of said console. Do you see what i mean? Man, the internet does not like grammar.
Not really comparable, though; furry fandom is one of few fandoms where the majority of content is original content produced within the fandom. We're not just sitting on the sidelines consuming or interacting with someone else's content, as with console gaming, or even necessarily working off of someone else's intellectual property. Individuals may be solely-consumer fans, but the fandom as a whole is sort of... self-referential. We both consume and produce content. (This is a fairly wide sense of "produce content" I'm using, which includes things like roleplaying.) So in a sense we are both fans and the thing we are a fan of.

That, and, like... it wouldn't be the stupidest name for a fan group ever. Trekkies aren't so bad, naming-wise, but don't people who swoon over Justin Bieber call themselves "beliebers" or something?

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
As stigma goes, I can't say I mind....I guess I have always been a rebellious sort, and know I have a good set of ethics, so if people see me as 'scary' there is something bearing a kinda appeal like in the 80s, when skateboards were 'bad', and punk rock was new(er), and such.......so that if 'furry' carries taboo connotations, it makes it a bit more thrilling, somehow.

Last edited:

Jackpot Raccuki

Although half canine, is not a wolf.

Filter

uwu
"Furry fan" is used in contrast with "furry lifestyler".

Types of furry:
- Furry fan
- Furry lifestyler

A furry fan is the less extreme of the two. They're more likely to say that their interest in furry things is just a hobby. A furry lifestyler is more obsessive, perhaps to the point of being an otherkin.

LameFox

I don't exactly pretend to be an expert on the topic, but are you sure you don't mean "therian" rather than otherkin? I'm still sorting out the differences myself.
I thought otherkin was a broader category that also includes therians? I'd suggest it probably does fit furries better since a lot of their identities aren't even based on real animals.

Z

ZeroVoidTime

Only is there is a dom at the end of fan. (I.E. Furry Fandom sounds a lot better than Furry Fan.)

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
This comes under the heading of "A rose by any other name". It's just a label. Don't worry about it.

MadXStitcher

I'm most likely in the minority but I like that. Better than "anthropomorphic animal fan" and i don't like the "furry" label for myself as I am just a fan of the art, it's not my life or anything like that.
This. I don't have any character I identify with. I don't fursuit, or draw avatars of myself. The goat in my icon is the mascot for my YT channel; not any kind of representation of me or anyone else. I only went with the goat imagery because I used a goat as my placeholder for about a year before I decided to actually start branding properly, and by then, the goat was part of my branding by dint of association.

I like the art style, but really don't associate with any other aspect of the fandom. It's the difference between Doctor Who fans and Whovians. I like Doctor Who, and dabbled in the fandom for a time, but I am not a Whovian. I like furry art and dabble in the fandom, but I am not a furry.