• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

dog collar hurting neck why?

So to the people in here that wear dog collars allot, after wearing mine for a couple of weeks it has started hurting my neck. Like i get a stiff neck from wearing it. Anything I can do to alleviate the pain? aside from not wearing it. I do wear it as loose as it will go and it is a 2 inch width x large dog collar. Any help is appreciated.

I am thinking of wearing it for a bit then giving my neck a rest and slowly building up so i get used to it. Would that work?

Thanks

Volkodav

Dad****er
What material is it? If it's nylon, that could be bothering you.
If you're getting a stiff neck from it, it's probably because it's too heavy.

TyDye

The puns, they burn

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
There are places online where you can buy collars that are made for people, and you can get them tailored to your specs.
If you are wearing one on your person, and not a suit or costume of any kind, I suggest something like that.
This is one place that I am aware of, but there are probably plenty more.
Hope this helps. :3

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
wait so dog collar will hurt when woren on people?
Assuming you're serious and not trolling with this comment:
Well, it is designed for a dog. The properties of a dog's neck differ from that of a human. Consider the structure of a dog's head and neck, in comparison to that of a human's. Their collars can be thicker and heavier, because their necks are in such a way that they can comfortably bear that weight. It's especially going to be more irritating if you're wearing it as loose as possible and if you have a bunch of stuff hooked to it. The back of your neck will feel it the worst.

Now, collars designed to be worn by humans, while practically identical in design, are likely made from lighter, gentler material. If worn fitted and comfortable, the weight should distribute evenly and not by as cumbersome as a dog's collar.

At least, these are observations I have made, regarding collars. I'm in no way an expert, so I suggest researching around for other opinions.
I have tested dog collars, but the one I received from Collarfactory is very comfortable (lightly lined for extra comfort :3) and I still have it, (appr 6) years later.

Assuming you're serious and not trolling with this comment:
Well, it is designed for a dog. The properties of a dog's neck differ from that of a human. Consider the structure of a dog's head and neck, in comparison to that of a human's. Their collars can be thicker and heavier, because their necks are in such a way that they can comfortably bear that weight. It's especially going to be more irritating if you're wearing it as loose as possible and if you have a bunch of stuff hooked to it. The back of your neck will feel it the worst.

Now, collars designed to be worn by humans, while practically identical in design, are likely made from lighter, gentler material. If worn fitted and comfortable, the weight should distribute evenly and not by as cumbersome as a dog's collar.

At least, these are observations I have made, regarding collars. I'm in no way an expert, so I suggest researching around for other opinions.
I have tested dog collars, but the one I received from Collarfactory is very comfortable (lightly lined for extra comfort :3) and I still have it, (appr 6) years later.

Ahh ok cool I didnt think there would be that much of a difference.

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
Ahh ok cool I didnt think there would be that much of a difference.
Sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't. I think it depends quite a bit on the person, their build and their tolerance levels.
Maybe, after wearing your collar long enough, you will simply become tolerant of its weight and no longer get a stiff neck or anything.

jtrekkie

Feathered
Good link, but they come in lizard skin...

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
Unless you have a long neck, two inches is pretty thick. I have an inch thick people collar and even that feels a bit too big.

i'd say go down a size in that regard. Get something skinnier. Something lighter. If you're hanging a bunch of tags/bells/shit on it, take some of it off.

Also keep in mind that dog collars come pretty stiff and are meant to be broken in. Dogs have all the fur and muscle where that isn't going to be much of a problem to them, but we humans don't.

Since it's nylon, maybe try running it through the wash. I don't think that would cause it to fall apart, but it might add some looseness to it.

-Sliqq-

Silo
Is this some sort of furry fashion statement? Maybe you just need a bigger collar(if you want to wear one) or a smaller one(in width). Does it feel like it's pushing down on your neck? Describe the feeling please :3

Why are you wearing a dog collar?

Furry fashion

Is this some sort of furry fashion statement? Maybe you just need a bigger collar(if you want to wear one) or a smaller one(in width). Does it feel like it's pushing down on your neck? Describe the feeling please :3

It feels like it is pulling down on my neck like it takes effort to keep my neck straight. I can get large that is 1 inch thick. 2 inch is an xlarge. Also I wear them as loose as possible.

So am I the only furry that wears an actual dog collar? the reason I do is cause the cat collars don't fit me. I thought this was a staple furry thing like referring to your hands and feet as paws or calling your hair your mane/ fur.

Volkodav

Dad****er
They can - but that doesn't mean it will feel comfortable xD

True, lol. When I was like 14-15 I was really into that shit. I learned the hard way that nylon/very cheap collars are garbage, don't get em. Go a step up and get that nicer woven nylon and it will feel better. Leather is good, but reacts poorly to sweat or moisture.

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
Here's a question: are you wearing it for you, or are you wearing it to show how dedicated you are to furry and to become more popular? Always do things way one: do it for you, not to become popular.

I get the feeling people do the second a lot, with all the "help me with my fursona" or "how do I chirp like Telephone" questions.

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
It feels like it is pulling down on my neck like it takes effort to keep my neck straight. I can get large that is 1 inch thick. 2 inch is an xlarge. Also I wear them as loose as possible.
Sounds like it's too big. Get something smaller and lighter.

Honestly, your best bet really is to go with people collars. They're more expensive, but they're also made with higher quality material, light as hell, and are fitted for your neck and not that of a dog.

That being said, I do have a nylon dog collar (no i don't wear it out of the house) that's perfectly comfortable. It wasn't exactly expensive either, so I dunno what you're doing wrong OP.