• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Dog food... for People

Aetius

It's Me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa
This already exists, it is called Chef Boyardee.

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
I know! I don't even see Willow's comment as potentially insulting, just a blunt point.
Well then again, anything can be seen as insulting to furries. I dunno why I was so surprised

And noticing I was new could imply two things. Either you are talking about my post count, or its a jab insinuating my ignorance of FAF etiquette. Given the attitude of your posts, I'm leaning toward the latter. Either way, you could stand to lighten up a bit.
I was neither talking about your post count nor insinuating that you were ignorant of FAF """""""etiquette"""""""". If you're seriously that insulted by my post then I'm not sure what to say other than you shouldn't use big words if you really don't know what they mean.

This isn't a super srs thread.
Your other posts say otherwise

Kalmor

Banned
Banned
Back to the topic, pet food contains tons of additives and other chemicals that you may not normally find in human food. It may not be good for your health if you consume it.

C

Cid_Nielcen

I was neither talking about your post count nor insinuating that you were ignorant of FAF """""""etiquette"""""""". If you're seriously that insulted by my post then I'm not sure what to say other than you shouldn't use big words if you really don't know what they mean.

Your other posts say otherwise

Me being insulted = I shouldn't use big words. Very logical. As for me actually being insulted, that's an assumption made by you. The tone of my posts should appear neutral to the unbiased eye. Maybe I need to start using :V at the end of every sentence.

I would ask, "well what did you mean then by saying you noticed I was new," but I'll save you the trouble of back-peddling or making up some BS :V

And to everyone else who is jumping on the Willow bandwagon, screw you :V

And and and... if one asshole makes a dick comment, it's not surprising that another asshole would find that comment appropriate :V

But seriously, I apologize for all the misunderstandings. It was just a crazy idea I once had that I thought it might be fun to throw out there. There really is no need for anyone to post anything more in this tongue-in-cheek thread, but if you must have the last word then have at it. I've already had mine.

Kalven

In regards to the 'Monkey Chow' thing, here it is: http://www.angryman.ca/monkey.html

Apparently he nearly went insane in a week... I see where you're coming from with the whole 'human chow' thing, but for me it wouldn't really work. It'd be efficient and so, so easy to just eat a tin of chow or take a pill which is a supplement for all your dietary needs, but I just love cooking and great food too much.

Get yourself to a classy restaurant and order your favourite meal - then tell me you can survive without ever tasting that again :p

I want a snack now...

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
Me being insulted = I shouldn't use big words. Very logical. As for me actually being insulted, that's an assumption made by you. The tone of my posts should appear neutral to the unbiased eye. Maybe I need to start using :V at the end of every sentence.

I would ask, "well what did you mean then by saying you noticed I was new," but I'll save you the trouble of back-peddling or making up some BS :V

And and and... if one asshole makes a dick comment, it's not surprising that another asshole would find that comment appropriate :V

But seriously, I apologize for all the misunderstandings. It was just a crazy idea I once had that I thought it might be fun to throw out there. There really is no need for anyone to post anything more in this tongue-in-cheek thread, but if you must have the last word then have at it. I've already had mine.
I think you need to calm down and just eat some puppy chow

puppychow2.jpg

Kalmor

Banned
Banned

I love you too. :V

Jaseface

Bark! Bark!!
As said above me I can see the point but i agree cooking is fun and I love when you create something really good by just experimenting with different ingredients. But I do think it would be cool if we had the technology to put a tablet or such into something like a microwave and it comes out as a meal. Two movies that reference what im talking about are "The fith Element" and "Back to the Future 2" but even then I would not stop cooking my own food.

Kosdu

You do realize dog food, to my knowledge, has little overwatch?I personally blame it for the large amount of cancer in dogs I have owned.Buy Grape Nuts, and vitamins for all the proteins and other vital things you need?

Last edited:

DarthLeopard

Has lost his Soul
Dog food for people, that isn't dog food, but people eat it.....I think we call that cereal.

RegencyBroughamDeluxe

Now with 100% more velour
What you're talking about has basically already been done. They're known as "therapeutic foods," and they're usually used to treat malnutrition (usually resulting from famine.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therapeutic_food#Ready-to-Use_Therapeutic_Food

Plumpy'nut is probably the best known of these. It's basically just caloric paste that's fortified with micronutrients and designed to be easily digestible for children. I guess that theoretically, if you were willing to regiment yourself extremely, you could live off this stuff and water. That's also the idea behind emergency military rations (like C rations).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therapeutic_food#Ready-to-Use_Therapeutic_Food
Anyway, humans should never consume commercially available pet food. It's not manufactured to the same tolerances as human food, which means it contains impurities that would be harmless to most animals but potentially fatal to humans. Most of the ingredients are designated as "animal grade" before they even get processed into chow. Taco Bell had to recall and destroy a large number of taco shells a few years back because they were accidentally made with this "animal-grade" corn.

wtfjinx

Medic
Commercial grade pet foods have a lower tolerance for their meats, which include allowing the use of animals that died from sickness and disease. This can include animal product that include prions, that can cause encephalopathies (I.E - "Mad Cow", BSE), and diseases such a ecoli, botulism, etc. They state that have proteins and fibers, but they are "crude" which have no nutritional value what so ever. They also include urea and ammonia, which can cause uric acid level elevation, causing gout, and ammonia toxicity.

Rilvor

Formal when angry
I can't imagine taking the joy out of my life that is the emotions brought on by delighting in my own cooking, the experience of flavors and textures. It is my opinion that someone that wants to get around that has forgotten to stop and smell the roses along this unfortunately short road.

Kangamutt

You do realize dog food, to my knowledge, has little overwatch?I personally blame it for the large amount of cancer in dogs I have owned.

You and my mom both. I'm still a little iffy on believing that fact, but my mom has taken to making food for the dogs herself, cooking rice, vegetables, and meat for them. The only time we ever use the kibble now is if there isn't enough homemade food for them at the time. The dogs love the stuff, so I really can't complain, they love good home cooking too! :p

C

Cid_Nielcen

I said I've had my last word in this thread, which actually, surprisingly and effectively brought things back on topic. Well if people want to keep posting, I'm game.

I can't imagine taking the joy out of my life that is the emotions brought on by delighting in my own cooking, the experience of flavors and textures. It is my opinion that someone that wants to get around that has forgotten to stop and smell the roses along this unfortunately short road.

Please try to imagine that there are people in this world who are different from you. To play off the cliche, I haven't forgotten to stop and smell the roses, I don't care to stop and smell the roses. I'd rather stop and smell the tulips. Cooking doesn't do the same thing for me that it does for you, and in no way would a product like this prevent anyone from continuing to cook. A good example mentioned earlier in this thread by DarthLeopard is cereal. Cereal doesn't stop people from making home made breakfasts, and doesn't put Denny's or Ihop out of business. I myself enjoy cereal as part of a well balanced breakfast, but I will also cook an omelet from time to time.

People shouldn't eat dog food and the acceptable quality of dog food is lower than what is acceptable for humans. This is good information and good advice, however it is irrelevant to this thread since this thread isn't about people eating dog food. If there were such a thing as "people chow", it would be held to a higher standard, which would make it more expensive than dog food but still probably cheaper than MREs.

And to people saying "stop being lazy", please understand that I am not insulted by this, I just want to clarify. All I've said so far is I'd rather spend my time doing other things, but I have not said what those other things are. By saying "stop being lazy", you are suggesting that I would spend that extra time sitting on my ass doing nothing. This isn't true.

I've also looked into Therapeutic foods and noticed that Ensure was listed in the wiki. For those who do not know, Ensure is a fortified milkshake drink designed primarily for the elderly. It would be nice if there were more products like this that were designed so you could live off it and be healthy. More brands, more flavors, different compositions designed for different dietary needs, all that good stuff.

More examples of convenience food found in movies: The stuff that looks like cream corn in The Matrix. And who could forget, lembas bread from LOTR.

Last edited by a moderator:

thoron

Isn't that what we call cereal? Fortified with various nutrients, its dry and even years after it expires so long as it remains dry and free of vermin its still edible? Plus all you have to do is pick your favorite kind just like how we do with dog food for dog. :p

wtfjinx

Medic
Cereal still does not contain the nutrients that we require. The best choice would probably be the Theraputic Foods that was posted on here. But be advised, they probably taste awful, and they will not curb your hunger. They might stop the pain for a minute, but they are not to make you feel full, they are to put nutrition in your body.

Rilvor

Formal when angry
I said I've had my last word in this thread, which actually, surprisingly and effectively brought things back on topic. Well if people want to keep posting, I'm game.
Please try to imagine that there are people in this world who are different from you.

Okay, see now this is where we have a problem. I'm going to call shenanigans with your behavior of verbally flailing that people are giving you a hard time when you lead off with obnoxious comments like this. I am coming to the conclusion that if you need more time for anything, it is examining your own behavior.

Look guy, if you have time to post like this on an internet forum you aren't so busy.

Also, the food from Alien comes a bit closer to the slop you're going for.

Tiamat

Sex nuts and retard strong
Banned
This thread has gone to the dogs.

:cool:

Fuzzle

Two scoops of Fuzz
I don't know why so many threads have to end up like this. It's a silly thread, with a silly idea, not a political campaign that effects your life. It always seems to end up in the situation where multiple people demand the OP defends his position on a relatively light hearted topic of discussion with bitterness baked right into each sentence, the OP gets upset that people are attacking him, so he defends himself and then everyone criticizes him for defending himself and it all becomes a big drama llama pinata.

Tiamat

Sex nuts and retard strong
Banned
I don't know why so many threads have to end up like this. It's a silly thread, with a silly idea, not a political campaign that effects your life. It always seems to end up in the situation where multiple people demand the OP defends his position on a relatively light hearted topic of discussion with bitterness baked right into each sentence, the OP gets upset that people are attacking him, so he defends himself and then everyone criticizes him for defending himself and it all becomes a big drama llama pinata.

Because furries.

Kangamutt

Okay, see now this is where we have a problem. I'm going to call shenanigans with your behavior of verbally flailing that people are giving you a hard time when you lead off with obnoxious comments like this. I am coming to the conclusion that if you need more time for anything, it is examining your own behavior.

Seriously. OP, if you're getting this upset over people disagreeing with you, especially with those who have said so in a thoughtful manner, you might want to step back and look at how foolish you're making yourself look. Sure, your thread subject was a bad idea. We all make bad ideas. But that doesn't mean you throw a tantrum when someone simply disagrees with your opinion.

This thread has gone to the dogs.

:cool:

AUGH. I'd throw a tomato at you for that awful pun, but I used all of mine to make a tasty tomato sauce for my homemade pasta. >:[

C

Cid_Nielcen

I'm not really all that upset, but yeah you pretty much summed it up. I am glad at least one person can see the big picture here. There really is nothing I can say that someone wont find some way to spin in the most negative possible manner.

Like the guy that said I lead off with an obnoxious statement... That was a sincere post with a valid point. It is my opinion that the statement in question is only obnoxious if the person reading it is guilty of being narrow-minded and is offended at the very notion that they might be at fault, not to mention the valid point I made was never even addressed.

As for people saying this topic is uninteresting, boring, or was a bad idea... then why are you posting in it? Of course you are entitled to post, you are entitled to your opinion, but if you don't have anything new, constructive, or relevant to add then shut the fuck up and get the fuck out of my thread.

I apologize for the tone of the previous paragraph. As I have said, I'm not really upset, but I do like to get a point across. It's kinda sad that it takes a sledge hammer to do so. But enough with feeding the trolls.

To everyone who has shown interest in this thread, has posted informational or thought provoking statements, or has expressed your opinion, for or against, without snide remarks or baseless personal attacks, to you I give a big thanks.