• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Downloads

I'm sure this has been said before, and if it hasn't for SHAME!!!

I think there should be a way to make art/submissions non downloadable....

This is mostly to protect people who cover songs from newer bands who'll sue them because they need the money from the lack of sales of their terrible records/CD's and internet mp3 downloads on 1 mp3 per crappy album.

But yeah, if there is a way, I can't find it, and if there's not...why isn't there? With the amount of lawsuits I've seen lately, I'd make that feature first on my list x.x

Let's face it: not EVERY cover/remix has written approval of its usage, and even if the download is free, I'm sure they'll find a way to sue.

Just protecting the site, 'tis all ^^

Hanazawa

Would Like To Play a Game
Even if they remove the download link, it's still quite easy to grab a file if you really want to.

The only way to keep someone from downloading your file is to not upload it at all.

DavidN

Yes, I think it'd be pretty pointless - even if you block every possible script from accessing a page you can still just record it from the speaker output!

Why are you concerned about covering "terrible songs" anyway? :p

Hanazawa

Hanazawa said:
Even if they remove the download link, it's still quite easy to grab a file if you really want to.

The only way to keep someone from downloading your file is to not upload it at all.

wut

Uh...

Don't upload cover tracks then?

nobuyuki

FA is not responsible for what you upload if they comply with valid DMCA takedown requests anyway, so I don't see what you're scared of. Placating money grubbing losers is lame anyway. Just give Hitler Poland, why don't cha. (Yeah, I went there -- thread closed!!)

In all honesty though, copyright concerns aside it's still a dumb feature on its own.

^great points, I'm just protecting myself, that's all, I mean, I write/play every song I do, even if it's a cover, I rewrite it and play everything you hear.

But i'm also worried that someone may stream an actual copywrited song....with the people who are complaining, I'm afraid the site'll be routed from the internet...

Hanazawa

DruoxTheFurrinator said:
But i'm also worried that someone may stream an actual copywrited song...

We report them in harassment/violations (and sometimes we wait a very long time), they get taken down. the end.

Hanazawa said:
DruoxTheFurrinator said:
But i'm also worried that someone may stream an actual copywrited song...

We report them in harassment/violations (and sometimes we wait a very long time), they get taken down. the end.

That's true, if some one DOES take the music report it, and thats it. Plus, users of FA post their artwork at thier own risk. So the person can't sue FA, the sue the theif. So truly, the only way to not get your music stolen is to post it on a site that allows you to post music where the only way for them to download is to by it. Thier must be a site like that. Or you can take Hanazawa's approach and don't post it at all if your really worried.