• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Drawing On the Right Side Of The Brain and other books on drawing

Anodracs

Hey all, my name is Anodracs, and I'm relatively new to Furaffinity. I like to draw, but I'm far from a good artist, and I often find myself getting frustrated when my sketches don't turn out the way I'd hoped. I was wondering if anybody could recommend books or other resources that they find especially helpful. I have a copy of Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, but it belonged to my father, so it's an older copy, dated 1979. I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy a revised edition, or to buy the workbook? Are there other books on drawing that I should look into?
Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

Moogie

♡Kupo♡
The Vilppu Drawing Manual is one I recommend to everyone and personally my favourite. He's got other books as well but that one is a great starting point.

ThePumu

Opening file: Redemption.exe/
The whole "left brain/right brain" is false so Id suggest working out different ways to learn to draw.
Have to agree.
I own a copy of the book myself.
i found that it did not help to further my personal drawing capabilities in anyway.
Was a good read at least. i enjoyed wasting my time and moneez

Maugryph

Hey all, my name is Anodracs, and I'm relatively new to Furaffinity. I like to draw, but I'm far from a good artist, and I often find myself getting frustrated when my sketches don't turn out the way I'd hoped. I was wondering if anybody could recommend books or other resources that they find especially helpful. I have a copy of Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, but it belonged to my father, so it's an older copy, dated 1979. I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy a revised edition, or to buy the workbook? Are there other books on drawing that I should look into?
Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

The brain info part is out of date. However the excerises in the book are standard and are taught in most art schools. I would also recommend loomis

The whole "left brain/right brain" is false so Id suggest working out different ways to learn to draw.

Yes the right side the of the brain jargon has been proven false. However the book itself has drawing exercises that are commonly taught in art schools. I learned a lot from that book when I first started drawing.

Have to agree.
I own a copy of the book myself.
i found that it did not help to further my personal drawing capabilities in anyway.
Was a good read at least. i enjoyed wasting my time and moneez

Did you actually do the exercises?!

Despite the right/left brain thing being false. The exercises and techniques in the book are standard drawing techniques taught in art schools. Useless my ass. Just because it doesn't teach a recipe to draw a bad anime head, doesn't make it useless