• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Drawing with a tablet...help!

Sylox

boi...chill out!
Hey guys, so I just started using a tablet and it's the hardest thing to work with. I can't seem to make straight lines at all, which makes it hard for me to ink drawing or do other stuff. Can you all give me some tips on what I should be doing as well as linking any tutorials? It'd be a big help.

F

foussiremix

You can use the tool for straight line^^

Drawing with a tablet needs time and practice.

Sylox

boi...chill out!
I use the tool for the straight line and yet it's so hard. Ugh...I'm getting into that mood I had when I first started sketching. I want instant results, but it doesn't work like that. I'm willing to put in the work to get better, so I'll take the advice given to me.

Depending on your tablet, you might want to try going to the manufacturer's website and installing the latest drivers (the tablets usualy dont come with the most up-to-date software) when I first got my tablet there was a ton of awful "jitter" in my lines whenever I tried to draw. I would also recommend getting a program that has a stabilizer. Paint tool SAI has one built in and there is a free stabilizer plug in for Photoshop called Lazy Nazumi

Alexxx-Returns

The Sergal that Didn't Vore
It all comes down to practice. You're learning how to use something entirely new for your hands, eyes and brain, so it's gonna take time to build up the co-ordination it needs. Just keep at it and soon it will be entirely natural to you.

There are also some good tutorials on Ctrl+Paint on navigating the tablet, also I think some people play Osu to get themselves more familiarised with the tablet.

nastacula

Depending on your tablet, you might want to try going to the manufacturer's website and installing the latest drivers (the tablets usualy dont come with the most up-to-date software) when I first got my tablet there was a ton of awful "jitter" in my lines whenever I tried to draw. I would also recommend getting a program that has a stabilizer. Paint tool SAI has one built in and there is a free stabilizer plug in for Photoshop called Lazy Nazumi

^ THIS! Manga Studio also has a kick ass stabilizer. Even if you have shaky hands it will make your lines pretty. But I'm also curious as to what tablet you are using? And can you screenshot what your lines look like? You may POSSIBLY have an issue with the pen's calibration or something along those lines...happened to me years back on my cintiq.

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
I cant do straight lines in traditional art at all.
I sketch using little small strokes and then add a new layer with the pen stabilization on the highest setting and ink it

You just need to practice. Just draw straight lines on a sheet of paper. Try using your arm rather than your wrist to do it.

Unsilenced

Mentlegen
I have a similar problem with tablets, and deal with it one of two ways. Either I do the "erase and repeat" methold, where I make the line in a quick, fluid motion and just undo if I don't like it, or I go in with a very small eraser afterwards and fix everything. The second one is probably more labor intensive overall, but usually ends up being my choice due to poor foresight.

shiy0

A.K.A the greeting wolf
I have a similar problem with tablets, and deal with it one of two ways. Either I do the "erase and repeat" methold, where I make the line in a quick, fluid motion and just undo if I don't like it, or I go in with a very small eraser afterwards and fix everything. The second one is probably more labor intensive overall, but usually ends up being my choice due to poor foresight.

seems like i use the "erase and repeat" option and it usually works pretty well. also if i want to correct some straight line i sometimes do it with the mouse and then keep going with the tablet as soon as it looks like it should do.

Volkodav

Dad****er
Too many people go out and buy a tablet, thinking or expecting it to be super easy and as easy as drawing on paper. They think that art skill will just come to you magically. (this is especially common in people who want to get Cintiqs)

The reality is that it takes practice no matter what and if you go out and buy a Wacom Bamboo or a Cintiq 21UX, neither is going to make you a great artist, that takes years of practice and skill.
I've been drawing animals since i could draw, but picked up the furry stuff and started drawing that about 8 or so years ago, and I still use my very first tablet. (It's going to be so hard to transition to a cintiq when I get one)

The transition from paper/"traditional" to digital takes a lot of work.

SkyeLegs

Reet Mazer
I know some people get very good at it with a lot of practise, but I feel the Intuos tablets aren't very ideal for sketching and inking. They're great for painting and working with colours and shades, but the hand-eye coordination to draw on a tablet while watching a monitor is quite different from drawing on paper. I still draw on paper, scan, and only use a tablet for colouring. I imagine even the Cintiqs take a lot of practise to adjust to, but I think it would feel more natural to draw with that kind of tablet.

Otherwise, just keep practising and follow some of the advice from above posters, and you'll get the hang of it.