• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Dumb trends and strange challenges.

Seems like these weird challenges pop up more and more often. Some can be pretty fun, but others just plain strange or taken too far.
Such as this incident :eek:
www.google.com: US driver in 'Bird Box blindfold' crashes

So, whats the strangest, most dangerous, or outright weird trend you’ve seen?

I

Infrarednexus

Eating tide pods

tenor.gif

AppleButt

You know I thought I was dumb for doing the Cinnamon challenge back in the day.

But then tide pods happened, and I don’t feel so dumb anymore.

Dumbest harmless trend I ever saw has to be fidget spinners. (I totally got one though) but they were dumb.

JakeTheFoXx

Ope, 'Scuse Me
A few years ago people were dumping isopropyl alcohol on themselves, lighting themselves on fire, and then jumping in water/turning on a shower to extinguish the flame.... if only the burned victims from this challenge were able to see/smell/hear the pain of a burn victim, they wouldnt have done this challenge.

D

Deleted member 111470

At school, people used to challenge each other to see who'd be able to snort the most lemon salt(lemon acid). I remember 3 blokes from my class had to go to the ER because they wouldn't stop bleeding from their noses.

That was a pretty dumb trend.

Apoc-Volkov

Mechanical Mind
Given that risk analysis is far from being our species' best skill overall, these are bound to happen at some point.

I'd really say that the dumbest and most dangerous trend in recent years is believing in the fallacies of privacy and free will however.

Dumbest harmless trend I ever saw has to be fidget spinners. (I totally got one though) but they were dumb.
It's debatable. Fidget spinners have much in common with stress balls and grip flexers in that they aren't something that's expected to be actively played with. It's more so the case that they're meant for the idle hand, especially if you're prone to subconsciously playing with whatever small object is within your reach.

artichuka

Most internet challenges are pretty weird... The ones where people get hurt or suffer in some way (cinnamon challenge, any youtube challenge video with a [GONE WRONG] clickbaity title tend to get a lot more views so people are surprisingly more likely to do them.
I've heard rumors that the birdbox challenge hashtag was started by bots on twitter, and it only took a couple of dumb people to start the wildfire. Pretty interesting because if it does turn out to have been started by netflix as a publicity stunt for their lackluster movie, a class-action lawsuit would be possible apparently.

mareenaicefin

Protector of Narwhals
I actually endorse terrible challenges. Anything to clean up the gene pool tbh. Winners of the Darwin Awards!

(has never partook in a challenge)

mareenaicefin

Protector of Narwhals
You know I thought I was dumb for doing the Cinnamon challenge back in the day.

But then tide pods happened, and I don’t feel so dumb anymore.

It kinda makes sense that the target audience for fidget spinners lost interest in them so quickly :rolleyes:

Renneon

nose-bleeding disaster
i really don't understand why dangerous challenges are still a thing, because so far i think they've always existed….
i think some of them might be popular because they're funny but people don't know how dangerous they can be (the condom thing, cinnamon challenge…)
but some others ?????? lighting yourself on fire, running next to your car, eating tide pods ?

sometimes i think it's because some sensible people not supervised when they should be ( the tide pod started as a funny meme, it was obvious you weren't supposed to eat them, but some people like children, or maybe people with a unhealthy need for attention, or maybe mental illnesses …. might lack the perspective that some others have to see it's ironic. I think a lot of people need some supervision when it comes to using internet, just as in a way you would maybe allow a child to Watch a lowkey violent movie so they can enjoy it too, but also thoroughly explain that this is a fiction, etc etc.)
It's very easy to say people are stupid ( I mean it's also true a lot of times lol) but I feel that sometimes it's because they don't have a supervision/help that they need, and this is why the Dangerous challenges are even more popular now that internet is Something the majority of people have access to.

Jackpot Raccuki

Fucking Racon
Either way most challenges online are stupid and usually have the same result.
I wonder if those people who do challenges are classed as NPCs since it has always been like some form of code:

Idiots do challenge.
Some idiot gets hurt from obvious stupid challenge.
More idiots get hurt despite seeing one getting hurt, because funny ecks dee.
Media comes and sweeps in for easy views.
Police tell people to stop.
It encourages idiots, and gets new idiots from it trending.
New challenge.
Idiots stop and move onto said new challenge.
Repeat line 1.

If I knew what language they run, I would've coded it like it. : P

I actually endorse terrible challenges. Anything to clean up the gene pool tbh. Winners of the Darwin Awards!

(has never partook in a challenge)
Wasn't tidepods and other challenges just a "natural" selection anyway?
Encouraging the idiots to eat it as a joke so that way the gene pool can have smarter people who won't eat tide pods? Or potentially people immune to the harm of tide pods.

Either way as dark/grim it may sound, I do agree and like that idiots do this challenge and get hurt, it teaches them a lesson;
Or at least I hope it gets through their thick skulls, though wouldn't want it to happen to people not meant to be in it, obviously.

Tendo64

Cat With A Guitar
I hated dabbing so much when it was unironic. I wanted to bash my head into a wall whenever my friends said something dumb and dabbed. They weren't bad friends, but I question their sense of humor sometimes.

As for "oof," it used to be funny as a sound effect before everybody started saying it, now I hate that too.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Looking back at this, in some ways, it doesn't seem like anything all that 'new' in terms of the way of human behavior: kids have made 'dares' among themselves for centuries, and for any number of psychological reasons; the sheer excitement of it, the thrill of breaking a taboo, to try to 'prove' themselves, to be tough, to fit in, and of a variety of reasons. What seems to have changed is that now, these dares take place in a digital landscape of social media, and become amplified to 'challenges', or, in essence a dare that has become a sort of meme.

It'd be interesting to look more at the psychological and developmental psychological aspects of dares, and risk taking activity in general: after all, in some ways, even many more sane things, like various tricks skating or in BMX are in part exciting because they are dangerous. Not, of course, that I suggest eating Tide Pods, competitively or otherwise!

luffy

Administrator
Staff member
yo planking is pretty dumb, especially on public things (how is she not moving due to the conveyor arms?), but if you ever wanna feel like you have abs... plank.

Renneon

nose-bleeding disaster
This is absolutely ridiculous to me
Funny-Planking-29.jpg

Not that related to stupid challenges, but i thought i'd just tell you about it anyway

A coworker of my cousin (or a classmate, i have no idea how old he was at the time) was hanging out in a mall with a group of friends, and they were all completely drunk. He wanted to impress them by going down the escalator using the ramp.
What happens when you try to do acrobatic exploits while being drunk ?

well, he fell directly onto the stairs, and his ear got caught in between the steps (you know, when they get flatter at the top/Bottom of the thing). I wouldn't be able to say if it was completely ripped off, but the dude got permanently disfigured.

anyways moral of the story, doing stupid challenges can be fun, only if you have enough perspective to tell if they're dangerous or not. Because when you lack it and nobody is here to supervise you, well… bad things happen.

Oh also, what's with the dab and "oof" ? even if not everyone finds it funny, it's harmless, so it's a good thing if it can make people laugh, ironically or not ! As we say in french "Ridicule does not kill " :p

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Not that related to stupid challenges, but i thought i'd just tell you about it anyway

A coworker of my cousin (or a classmate, i have no idea how old he was at the time) was hanging out in a mall with a group of friends, and they were all completely drunk. He wanted to impress them by going down the escalator using the ramp.
What happens when you try to do acrobatic exploits while being drunk ?

well, he fell directly onto the stairs, and his ear got caught in between the steps (you know, when they get flatter at the top/Bottom of the thing). I wouldn't be able to say if it was completely ripped off, but the dude got permanently disfigured.

anyways moral of the story, doing stupid challenges can be fun, only if you have enough perspective to tell if they're dangerous or not. Because when you lack it and nobody is here to supervise you, well… bad things happen.

Oh also, what's with the dab and "oof" ? even if not everyone finds it funny, it's harmless, so it's a good thing if it can make people laugh, ironically or not ! As we say in french "Ridicule does not kill " :p

Ouch, that sounds painful! It is amazing what seems like a good idea, after when had a a few too many drinks, to be certain.

Also, I was never aware what dabbing is, until the ironic use of it. In fact, I'm still not really sure exactly what is, why it exists, and where it came from. There's certain odd holes in my pop-cultural knowledge :p Also, I've always used "Oooooof!", maybe having grown up reading a lotta comic books, where it's a sound effect? Again, had no idea of an "Oof" trend.

Maybe I should start a 'funny, harmless' trends thread, just for giggles :p

Ravofox

back to Aussie foxying!
As we say in french "Ridicule does not kill " :p

I actually think that phrase is also relevant for those who feel pressued by friends or the like to do dangerous challenges. That it's better to be called 'chicken' than to get badly injured or worse. :)