• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Easier gallery download

AllenR

I doubt this might get deeply looked into but I thought I would suggest it anyway.

I recently had gone through a hard drive issue and had lost all my files, including my furry art. Now I'm having to right now go back and save all the work that is lost. But so far, even on wireless DSL, it's taken me almost 2 hours just to go through one persons gallery.

So I thought, it might be a bit of a challenge, why not include a sort of complete gallery download system? I don't know what ideas could be used, but one thing I can think of is maybe something where every image in a persons gallery (and scraps if wanted) could be zipped into a file and downloaded in an instant.

Assuming that idea is a bit of a bandwidth hog, I had a second idea of how to maybe do this. Perhaps a lite versions of peoples galleries? Rather than just a bunch of thumbnails on one page that leads to a full version of the image submission with comments and favorites, the lite gallery could be just a page with thumbnails of the artists images, and each image could just link directly to the artists image itself.

Something like this would be something I'd like to see done for the site. It could maybe even cut back a bit on bandwith use for those people who just go to galleries and open images, save and go to the next one. Or it could use a little more. Not really sure, but I'm just throwing my idea out there to hopefully be thought about.

yak

Site Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Heh, well, that suggestion is a bit on the cheeky side if you ask me. Personally I don't feel this is the right thing to do for FA; to make content distribution like we own the stuff.

AllenR

I can see your point there, but I doubt majority of people who visit this site would see FA as anything other than that.

No big deal if the suggestion isn't used though. I just thought a lot of people might enjoy the idea in case the majority of people who visit this site tend to lose all their files frequently and maybe at the same time, think of a way to save up some FA space.

Ainoko

The Wild And Crazy Hybrid
AllenR said:
I doubt this might get deeply looked into but I thought I would suggest it anyway.

I recently had gone through a hard drive issue and had lost all my files, including my furry art. Now I'm having to right now go back and save all the work that is lost. But so far, even on wireless DSL, it's taken me almost 2 hours just to go through one persons gallery.

So I thought, it might be a bit of a challenge, why not include a sort of complete gallery download system? I don't know what ideas could be used, but one thing I can think of is maybe something where every image in a persons gallery (and scraps if wanted) could be zipped into a file and downloaded in an instant.

Assuming that idea is a bit of a bandwidth hog, I had a second idea of how to maybe do this. Perhaps a lite versions of peoples galleries? Rather than just a bunch of thumbnails on one page that leads to a full version of the image submission with comments and favorites, the lite gallery could be just a page with thumbnails of the artists images, and each image could just link directly to the artists image itself.

Something like this would be something I'd like to see done for the site. It could maybe even cut back a bit on bandwith use for those people who just go to galleries and open images, save and go to the next one. Or it could use a little more. Not really sure, but I'm just throwing my idea out there to hopefully be thought about.

Well, your idea does sound good on the surface, but, and I mean but, the best way to avoid losing all your files in the first place is to make at least two copies on backup devices, IE external HD, secondary internal HD, CDr, DVDr, Flash drive to name a few. Trust me, I have my ALL my files backed up, on both an external HD and DVDr (I burn no less than four sets of DVDr's in case I may lose a disc or set).

As I have well over 40GB of furry art and stories on my PC and about 50GB of other random stuff, it is in my best intrest to make all the backups I want, because it would kill me to have to search all over the net again to retrieve my lost data (and that does include the furry art and stories as well, as there are some artists who have either left the fandom, removed all thier art from the net, passed away etc, which makes a good 35% of my collection extremely valuable).

AllenR

Ainoko said:
Well, your idea does sound good on the surface, but, and I mean but, the best way to avoid losing all your files in the first place is to make at least two copies on backup devices, IE external HD, secondary internal HD, CDr, DVDr, Flash drive to name a few. Trust me, I have my ALL my files backed up, on both an external HD and DVDr (I burn no less than four sets of DVDr's in case I may lose a disc or set).

As I have well over 40GB of furry art and stories on my PC and about 50GB of other random stuff, it is in my best intrest to make all the backups I want, because it would kill me to have to search all over the net again to retrieve my lost data (and that does include the furry art and stories as well, as there are some artists who have either left the fandom, removed all thier art from the net, passed away etc, which makes a good 35% of my collection extremely valuable).

Actually, I did have all my art backed up onto my laptop. Problem is, both the laptop and my PC decided to take a dive into wreckville at the same time. So there really wasn't a whole lot I could of done.

RailRide

The Real Wheels of Steel
I keep backups of all the stuff I post, and the project files that went into creating them, organized with folders for each project.

They are backed up on three seperate external hard drives, so if any one of them fail (one has so far) I can replace it and clone the data before any other drive has a chance to go kaput. When not reading or writing data to them, they are kept disconnected and powered off to save wear and tear on the drives.

In addition to that, I keep projects on USB thumb drives while I'm working on them, and when they're done, I copy them to the backup drives and leave the data on the thumb drive as well--at about $20US for a 2GB drive, I can afford to leave the original files there and simply buy another in a few months when they fill up. That makes for a fourth level of backup.

I also go one step further and save copies of the descriptions I wrote (since mine tend to be a bit long-winded), so I can easily reconstruct my gallery/ies in a new (or the same) place if it ever becomes necessary. I have yet to start a collection of artwork from other artists, but if I did, I would employ the same tactics.

---PCJ

Laer

*uses Revive on the old thread* :p

I'd actually like to see this. I mean, it wouldn't only be used for people who lose all their stuff or whatever, but for someone who is new to the furry community.

yak: people will download the images anyways; this suggestion would just make it easier for people who want to start a gallery of all their favorite pieces on their computer, or if they want to expand their already started gallery (or even for the people who don't back things up to an excessive degree :p).

When people put artwork or music or whatever up on FA they are basically saying "I give permission to FA to distribute this as they see fit as long as they don't make a profit on it and/or do not use it without the creators permission."

bane233

the cowboy wolf/roo
Actually, I did have all my art backed up onto my laptop. Problem is, both the laptop and my PC decided to take a dive into wreckville at the same time. So there really wasn't a whole lot I could of done.
thats why i back everything up on disks.

Quiet269

The problem is that the easier they make it for people to download content, the easier it will be fore them to distribute it. Which is something we do not want.

Alchera

I find this idea rather disturbing.