• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Easier to get watchers when I was an abysmal artist D:

Melazzee

Advance!
You know, I noticed that I used to find it much easier to get followers, but nowadays I find it hard to gain them. On my old account, I did pretty much all fan art, but I was a terrible artist. Now I've improved, I'm developing my own stuff, and I'm putting that out there on a brand new account. I have no idea if my style just doesn't appeal, or if people exclusively want fan art, or if there is a huge amount of competition now, or if I'm utilising social media all wrong, or what?

Also, back in the day, I remember getting $200 for a commission. 5 years (and hopefully much improvement!) later, I find it extremely difficult to land a commission, and I noticed there seems to be many more people competing in the job forums than before, with everyone underselling themselves and everyone else.

Perhaps it's to do with my refusal of underselling my art nowadays, since I have actually worked a few years in the games industry professionally, but I think it's either that my style just doesn't appeal to the masses (I'm okay with that), or maybe there is just much more competition now than there used to be.

What do you guys think? Do you find you have more trouble now than before?

Last edited:

Kebechet

As I've become a better artist, I've gotten more commissions, but I also use multiple places to try to find art-related work. Even then, it's difficult. There's a ton of competition, and the perceived value of artwork by non-artists often doesn't reflect the hours put into the work. There's also the issue of places like Fivr, which encourage people to value art and related works less and less. We're also dealing with a more global market now, and I think that's contributing to lowering the rates that people think are reasonable. The furry art market used to be based more in USD, CAD or Euros, as it was largely a European/American phenomenon..and now we're getting more people from countries where what we consider market rate isn't feasible... I think at least in part because of that, their market rates are lowering the perceived rates of the overall market. I have no proof of this, but I'm extrapolating based on how many more furries I see from non-english speaking countries than I used to.

As for watchers... I find it harder to get watchers now than it was several years ago, when I wasn't as good of an artist as I am now. I think it's because a lot of the well known artists produce content on a very frequent schedule, and do regular streams, and adoptables, YCH etc.. I don't do those things. I also don't have a tumblr. Pretty much all of the popular artists do.

My advice... don't lower your prices. I know it's hard, but you're a professional, working at market rates that are normal for your area and industry. If you want to get more watchers, produce more content frequently, and set up streams. From my understanding, lower priced commissions are where the market is at...sketch commissions, adoptables, icons, telegram stickers etc. If you can do work quickly, and involve your watchers via streams or social media, that seems to be where people get more followers. I almost never get asked to do big, highly detailed pieces of artwork in the price range you're mentioning. I get a couple of commissions a year at that level. Most people would rather save for multiple smaller pieces than a big expensive one. Most of my work at that level has been part of larger projects, like when I was hired to do work for the Dragon Sex Calendar. (NSFW - www.furaffinity.net: Ocean Orgasm - Dragon Sex Calendar 2017 by silverback2001 )

As for myself.... At this moment I have other things I'm occupied with, and I'm in the process of setting up a better workspace with better equipment so that I will be able to offer more to the people who do watch me, and prospective watchers. Currently my computer doesn't have enough RAM/Processing power to run my art programs and stream at the same time. You might be in the same boat as me there, I don't know.

Either way, that's my advice. Your art is great. You've got nothing to worry about there.

Melazzee

Advance!
Interesting reading other people's thoughts! Perhaps I just haven't updated my methods for interacting with people on social media. It's all moved on a lot from when I was doing all this before, and it seems like streams and the like are the way to go. I don't have much issue in the computer power department, so I should be able to do something like that. I suppose I just feel self-conscious showing work-in-progresses, since my art tends to look shoddy until the last 10% :p

As for producing content more frequently, I suppose I need to come up with a more efficient workflow. Currently, I'm pretty slow at producing content frequently due to my full time job, so maybe I need to feel more okay with submitting sketches and the like. Lots to consider!

KILL.MAIM.KILL

Angry Lizard King
Banned
People would rather see low-quality drawings of Renamon mating with Sonic the Hedgehog than any kind of originally designed content.
That's just how the internet is.

Latur Husky

Buzzkill
You know, I noticed that I used to find it much easier to get followers, but nowadays I find it hard to gain them. On my old account, I did pretty much all fan art, but I was a terrible artist. Now I've improved, I'm developing my own stuff, and I'm putting that out there on a brand new account. I have no idea if my style just doesn't appeal, or if people exclusively want fan art, or if there is a huge amount of competition now, or if I'm utilising social media all wrong, or what?

Also, back in the day, I remember getting $200 for a commission. 5 years (and hopefully much improvement!) later, I find it extremely difficult to land a commission, and I noticed there seems to be many more people competing in the job forums than before, with everyone underselling themselves and everyone else.

Perhaps it's to do with my refusal of underselling my art nowadays, since I have actually worked a few years in the games industry professionally, but I think it's either that my style just doesn't appeal to the masses (I'm okay with that), or maybe there is just much more competition now than there used to be.

What do you guys think? Do you find you have more trouble now than before?

Seems like pretty normal market response to growing supply with lower or stable demand. You have to adjust to stay competitive, but at the same time don't go too low with the prices compared to other artists. Try to categorize qualities of art on the market and decide where is your place ie. low/med/hi quality. Then categorize prices and adjust them to fit into right category.

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
First off, is that adorable bat one of your characters? I love bats.

Second, unfortunately, the difference is what you draw. I find that, regardless of quality, I tend to get more faves if I draw Charizard than Benny Jackdaw or Ricky the Hedgepossum. I don't let it bother me, though, since I draw for fun. What do you draw for?