• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

East Coast Earthquake Thread

Kreevox

Groovy Kitsune
I felt it around 2 p.m. over her in bedford, pa

ramsay_baggins

WINTERFELL!
Funfact:

Earthquakes happen everywhere. All the time. We just can't feel them.

Yes, it's relatively rare for an earthquake large enough to feel happens far from a plate boundary, but it's not unheard of. In fact, there have been a few minor ones in the UK in the last few years, and we're ages away from the right kind of plate boundary.

Also, may I also add:
I wish I could experience an earthquake. Just a small one, but I really want to <=[ Damn being a geographer and my curiousity into these things.

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
Why? Earthquakes happen at fault lines along the Earth's crust which is why the West Coast of America, Japan, and Turkey have earthquakes but Virginia has no fault lines. So why did it just happen?

L

LizardKing

My mind just broke because Fox News had the best report on this whole thing and I don't know what to do with myself anymore.

[yt]-iTTKJXrV38[/yt]

That is hilariawful. It's like he barely even knows what an earthquake is and starts mumbling something he heard in a film once.

ramsay_baggins

WINTERFELL!
Why? Earthquakes happen at fault lines along the Earth's crust which is why the West Coast of America, Japan, and Turkey have earthquakes but Virginia has no fault lines. So why did it just happen?

You can get shifting where there are hotspots, or just the earth resettling. Honestly, earthquakes are so incredibly difficult to predict (oftentimes impossible) that geographers/geologists are still trying to work it out. Just one of those things the earth does.
Also, fault lines don't have to be the massive well known plate boundaries. There are loads across the earth.

Last edited:

Rilvor

Formal when angry

BouncyOtter

I was in lab waiting for an incubation period to finish. I felt a rumble and thought "that's how I guess an earthquake would feel, but I'm in Baltimore". One of my PI's (primary investigators) runs in and says "did you feel that?!" I told him yes, and then the building shook again. My PI then bolted for the door and was gone. Hopkins made us evacuate our building for a bit. Let me tell you, if that had been a major earthquake, I would have I felt safe being "evacuated" onto a street surrounded by large buildings. :V

Anyways, that was the first earthquake I have ever felt in my life.

moonchylde

He's like, this guy, you know?
I find it funny that Ohio, Illinois, Tennessee, Indiana, and of course, Virginia, felt the ground quake... but no one in Kentucky felt a thing. And here all these years I just thought they were useless states, but it turns out they're actually shock absorbers. Who knew? :V

Kryn

Flyin' Sooo High
I live in southern Virginia and it wasn't that bad down here. The house shook for about 30 seconds and nothing feel over or anything. Reminded me of a quake we felt here a few years back.

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
I should have felt it. God knows everyone else did. Apparently Costco is immune to them though. :V

Tissemand

Random furfag
w7270m.jpg

Edit: Wow, really? :| I just found this image like a minute ago -.-

Dr. Durr

Misses The Point Frequently
I didn't even know there was an earthquake until like a few hours ago.

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
You can get shifting where there are hotspots, or just the earth resettling. Honestly, earthquakes are so incredibly difficult to predict (oftentimes impossible) that geographers/geologists are still trying to work it out. Just one of those things the earth does.

It's been on my bucket list to actually feel an earthquake strong enough to be felt yet not really harmful. I've heard weak earthquakes caused by drilling causes earthquakes in Arkansas and I'm wondering if this particular earthquake could be caused by the mining in Virginia.

Torrijos-sama

The Artist Formerly Known as Jesusfish
All I can say, is that I think that the New Madrid fault line is going to bring the ruckus in the next decade or two.

T

Tycho

ARE YOU READY TO RUMBLE?!

No.

Because you're East Coast fgts.

lol.