• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Eastern Block times...

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
People love The USA because we are a Democracy. But we aren't. We are a Republic. People believe our vote counts. But twice now in the last 18 years people have voted for someone, Kerry and H. Clinton, both having won the vote of the people, only to have the Electoral College put the loser in office, Bush Jr. and Trump. It aint rocket science.
The Electoral College worked exactly as designed. The founders didn’t want big states automatically choosing our president because of their large population. The EC gives small states disproportinate power to offset the population of the big states. Hillary’s popular vote edge is almost exactly her margin of victory in California. Before CA clocked in on election night, the popular vote was neck & neck.

But there is something that we the people can do: amend the constitution. A convention of states is one of the two ways the founders gave us to amend the constitution, and they have us that option as a way to get around the problem of the possibility of an autocratic federal government. If Congress won’t act to change the system becsuse it benefits them then we need to push for a convention of states and change it ourselves.

[edit, that post button needs a confirmation]
Poland’s system of government wasn’t chosen by the people. It was imposed on them by the USSR. What you saw in the 1980 was the people rejecting that system, which tesulted in violence because that was illegal. In the USA we have a legal means of rejecting the injustices in our system.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
Ok, I'm sorry but can you make thread for this US situation, beacuse you know... it's "Eastern Block Times"
I was trying to differentiate between the fact that we have a legal means to amend our constitution and the fact that Poland’s government was imposed on them. I just accidentally bumped the “post reply” button before writing the part that tied my post back to this thread. I have since edited it. Sorry; not trying to derail this thread! I love history and this is very interesting to me!

O

Okami_No_Heishi

I was trying to differentiate between the fact that we have a legal means to amend our constitution and the fact that Poland’s government was imposed on them. I just accidentally bumped the “post reply” button before writing the part that tied my post back to this thread. I have since edited it. Sorry; not trying to derail this thread! I love history and this is very interesting to me!
I understand how things are supposed to work. Im saying that they do not work the way they were intended. And I know why the Electoral College was enacted. But how long ago was that? How many more people are there now? And believe me! You can call your representative as many times as you want. They will still do what they think is right for themselves before they ever do what is right for the people. And so what if a state has more people? So their opinion isnt as important as anyone elses? Our system is broken. Period.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
I understand how things are supposed to work. Im saying that they do not work the way they were intended. And I know why the Electoral College was enacted. But how long ago was that? How many more people are there now? And believe me! You can call your representative as many times as you want. They will still do what they think is right for themselves before they ever do what is right for the people. And so what if a state has more people? So their opinion isnt as important as anyone elses? Our system is broken. Period.
That may be true but Black Burn has a point. We should take this discussion into a new thread. It’s just derailing this thread.

O

Okami_No_Heishi

That may be true but Black Burn has a point. We should take this discussion into a new thread. It’s just derailing this thread.
Sorry. Its ok. Politics sicks. Sorry Black Burn.

Black Burn

Well-Known Gopnik
Wow. Just about a third of the way in & I have to go pick up my son but this is a great read so far. Thanks for taking the time to write it!
*blushes* thanks...

Black Burn

Well-Known Gopnik
And I forgot, here's an video thst inspired me to write this, its in polosh but it has some interesting manifestations that I couldn't find, so I can give you moments if you want

Black Burn

Well-Known Gopnik
Ok I know thst I can be annoying, but who have read this document for now? Beacuse I'm very interested what do you think about it...

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
Sorry I have my son. Hard to find time for anything else until I drop him off again!

Black Burn

Well-Known Gopnik
Maybe in the next Friday or Weekend I'll write about Polish People's Army or you can say what interests you, I can do something about other period, but Polish history isn't my favorite one.. Only communist times are interesting for me.

Black Burn

Well-Known Gopnik
I came up with an idea, maybe I would change this thread to "Polish History" and tell about things that are interesting you?

Last edited: