• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

ED rails on fursuiter killed in the line of duty. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
Something really really made me stop one minute with your post
You looked up their Fursona/ furry name right?
Did you look up their real name which would actually real people would do....

but its ED, why the hell are you giving one too many fucks to it?

T

TheMetalVelocity

I don't even know the guy and I was upset already. I saw a thumbnail of a tribute video on youtube, and I was so upset because I knew it wasn't good news before I even clicked the video. I don't know why I got so sad and depressed. This was like the first time I got so sad even though I barely knew what happen and not even knowing who this guy was.

Fuzzle

Two scoops of Fuzz
I just don't know how a human being can see someone, full of life, then actually mock their death. Not only just not care that they are now dead, killed, but actually take joy in it. I don't accept the excuse that "oh it's just them, it's to be expected." No it's not. I don't care who this guy was, I saw him happy and that's enough for his death to be respected and mourned, not used as further injury.

I don't even know the guy and I was upset already. I saw a thumbnail of a tribute video on youtube, and I was so upset because I knew it wasn't good news before I even clicked the video. I don't know why I got so sad and depressed. This was like the first time I got so sad even though I barely knew what happen and not even knowing who this guy was.

Then I want to congratulate you on being a human. (forget about the fact that's often a Furry insult) It's normal for that to depress and upset you.

Last edited:

Vaelarsa

resident spaceship
You say "ED did this", but ED as a site did nothing.
You know who did? Some random troll. Seriously, go look at the article history. Pretty much all of it was written by a single person.
Said person just happened to submit it to ED, which has very lax quality control as it is, and doesn't give a fuck about "tasteless material." So blame the person in question, not the site.

Although all you're doing, either way, is getting offended by trolling. And offending people is like the central aspect of trolling.

I know I'm just nitpicking, and it is pretty assholish to say this about an EMT worker that died, but it's usually good to understand your source as whether or not to even get this pissed off or point the finger.

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
Pretty sad that they have enough time and devoted enough brain power to write that big and indepth an article.

Machine

Shrieking Possum Queen
You know that you're all just feeding ED trolls by getting worked up about this, right?

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
You know that you're all just feeding ED trolls by getting worked up about this, right?

Yes, although my response to this is as apathetic as when people tell me that saying I don't like damien hirst's art 'just means he's won'.

Hadraz

Personally, I really don't understand the American obsession with freedom of speech, where the right to free speech is used to defend insulting anyone for anything in the worst ways possible. Here in the UK, such behaviour, online or not, would be likely to result in legal action being taken against you. Which in cases such as this I believe to be perfectly justifiable.
Whoever wrote this deserves to be named, shamed, and punished.

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus

I would hardly call them "trolls." Good trolls look for easy drama and then do something funny, which may or may not be offensive, which, in turn, causes butthurt people to become more butthurt. This incident is just wrong. There's no drama here. It's like "Oh let's make this article about a guy who was killed in a home invasion, because that's funny."

I'm starting to think some of these new trolls actually find the material itself funny, rather than the way it's presented or how people react to it. I think these guys spent way too much time on /b/. Some people are just messed up in the head.

Joey

Personally, I really don't understand the American obsession with freedom of speech, where the right to free speech is used to defend insulting anyone for anything in the worst ways possible. Here in the UK, such behaviour, online or not, would be likely to result in legal action being taken against you. Which in cases such as this I believe to be perfectly justifiable.

This isn't really on par with people like the Westboro Baptist Church. Nobody showed up to picket Tim's funeral or bother his family and friends in real life. This is the internet.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
This isn't really on par with people like the Westboro Baptist Church. Nobody showed up to picket Tim's funeral or bother his family and friends in real life. This is the internet.

Oh goodness I forgot about that.

Such attitudes make me lean back in my chair and ask why privileged people living in a country with plenty of food and friends can't just...be...the most basic level of nice to each other?

I don't think I'll ever get it.

Rilvor

Formal when angry

What a brilliant use of the time and resources of the judicial system.

PsychicOtter

Otter Missionary
I respectully disagree. Sure it's a horrible thing to write, but it's just an opinion, which you should be allowed to express. It's not a crime, in my opinion.

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
There's a difference between an opinion and an outright attack.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17515992
So what? Dude went to JAIL for 56 days for talking racist trash on twitter whilst drunk. Congrats you are now an orwellian society, enjoy. Nobody goes to jail in the street for saying racist shit every day, do they? So what makes that right?

Know what I don't understand? Why people feel the need to push out platitudes like "Oh thats sad" or "My condolences" or "He died too young", when not a single motherfucker who says it has ANY kind of personal connection to the person. You don't even mean that shit, even though you think you do, you are just saying it because you think it "appropriate". Well its not, because who are you saying it too that matters? The family? The friends? Or is it just to yourself so other people will think good of you?

Kalmor

Banned
Banned
So what? Dude went to JAIL for 56 days for talking racist trash on twitter whilst drunk. Congrats you are now an orwellian society, enjoy. Nobody goes to jail in the street for saying racist shit every day, do they? So what makes that right?

Know what I don't understand? Why people feel the need to push out platitudes like "Oh thats sad" or "My condolences" or "He died too young", when not a single motherfucker who says it has ANY kind of personal connection to the person. You don't even mean that shit, even though you think you do, you are just saying it because you think it "appropriate". Well its not, because who are you saying it too that matters? The family? The friends? Or is it just to yourself so other people will think good of you?
There's such a thing called empathy and compassion.

While I think the people who write this kind of crap are morons, I don't think it's the government's job to punish them for it.
Laws are not supposed to stop you from doing what's immoral, like insulting people; they are supposed to stop you from doing things that violate the rights of others.
Maybe, maybe, but what is the level at which someone may consider something as hate speech or in this case, libel?

Hadraz

While I think the people who write this kind of crap are morons, I don't think it's the government's job to punish them for it.
Laws are not supposed to stop you from doing what's immoral, like insulting people; they are supposed to stop you from doing things that violate the rights of others.
So calling someone a horrifically racist term just to cause them emotional pain Isn't violating their rights? Though I understand where you are coming from, I do think that the government needs to show people that certain behaviour is just unacceptable in a civilised society. Because sadly, if people think they can get away with bad behaviour, they'll keep doing it and it will just escalate.
I do think some degree of freedom of speech is needed, but to use it just to cause harm to others is just wrong, online or in real life.

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
There's such a thing called empathy and compassion.
And in this case it is faceless, pointless, and sourceless. I'd much rather reserve my empathy and compassion where it is well applied, instead of for a stranger who I've never met and never will meet. To mourn the unknown to me is a waste of feelings better applied. But people can be wishy-washy if they want to, I simply think them foolish. Nobody here was soothed by their overtures, being that they were applied because they were EXPECTED.

Neoi

Lone Wolf
Its people like those of ED who make me sick and fill me with anger. Even though I never new lemonade coyote before news got out about his passing, He doesn't not deserve such cruel words put against him. Still, you cant real do anything when it comes to ED, they will cross any line.

Cairn

So calling someone a horrifically racist term just to cause them emotional pain Isn't violating their rights? Though I understand where you are coming from, I do think that the government needs to show people that certain behaviour is just unacceptable in a civilised society. Because sadly, if people think they can get away with bad behaviour, they'll keep doing it and it will just escalate.
I do think some degree of freedom of speech is needed, but to use it just to cause harm to others is just wrong, online or in real life.

The problem is, I don't trust any government enough to give it the power to decide what behavior is "acceptable". What I view as acceptable might be completely different from what other people view as acceptable.

Laws that regulate what people can do based on what society thinks is right is one of the biggest problems societies have faced.

Look at: women's rights, gay rights, rights for various races, etc.
They were ALL limited because society didn't think certain behaviors were "acceptable."

Status
Not open for further replies.