• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Electric Shocks.

RoseHexwit

Puts the "fang" in "fangirl".
One of the cash registers at work has bad grounding. I was leaning on the metal part one day, and my hand started to tingle. I thought nothing of it because I have bad circulation and low blood pressure. My extremities tingle every so often. It doesn't usually last that long, though, so I was a little confused.

I took my hand off of the metal part, and the tingling stopped. Curious, I put my hand back on and left it there... Ow.

X

The Monster Under Your Bed
tried to turn on a light switch that didn't have a cover, hands were wet from washing dishes.

when i was 7 i stuck a fork in an electrical socket; Never Again!

Beastcub

cut through xmas lightswhile taking the lower branches off the tree to make room for the presents.

found out the hard way a squrriel had chewed a light of the line and that is why they were not ligting.

stuck my hand in the fish tank with wet feet (was swimming) and got zapped as the tank heater had broke....

fish tank dripped on the powerstrip and i touched it.

pool filter cord was a in a puddle and i stepped in said puddle.

....i cannot effing use an electric shaver as it reminds me of a low volt shock and makes me jumpy T_T

Torrijos-sama

The Artist Formerly Known as Jesusfish
As a wee lad of about 4 or so, I messed with the wiring to the doorbell in my cousin's home they were renovating. At first, I didn't really know what happened, but my hand was numb for about three hours. Not too bad. Better than being shocked by stungun.

Lambzie

Ok electrocuted umm let’s just say it’s over a hundred and be done with it. I’m not joking the amount of times I have been electrocuted trow one of my projects and repairing things is just heaps. To the point where I have a small fear of large capacitors.

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
Near hit from lightning, nerves still damaged.

Randy-Darkshade

Bike riding squirrel thing.
Ok electrocuted umm let’s just say it’s over a hundred and be done with it. I’m not joking the amount of times I have been electrocuted trow one of my projects and repairing things is just heaps. To the point where I have a small fear of large capacitors.

o_O?

As a person who sticks hands into batteries and EMP I can say I hold a massive amount of resistance to electricity.
But once again, that's not like I shock myself everyday.

Fuzzle

Two scoops of Fuzz
I get shocked all the time by my cats. I go up to pet them and when I brush past the tip of their ears I get shocked....its not a big shock, but its attention grabbing. I haven't been legitimately shocked by anything in a long while.

Lyrihl

TAG UR IT
Lengthy chilhood story: engage!

The most memmorable time I was ever shocked was when I was about 5 or 6 years old. My brother and I were "playing" around near our grandparent's cow corral. He was chasing me around around on his favorite new bike, scaring the shit out me and laughing like a maniac. He eventually managed to run me up the metal bars of one of the holding pens, which had an electric wire at the top.
So I climbed up seven feet, grabbed a high-voltage wire, and fell seven feet onto solid concrete. Small concusion, unconsiousness, shock-burns, and the worst pain I've ever felt. When I woke up everyone else was at the house acting like nothing had happened. Go figure.

Randy-Darkshade

Lengthy chilhood story: engage!

The most memmorable time I was ever shocked was when I was about 5 or 6 years old. My brother and I were "playing" around near our grandparent's cow corral. He was chasing me around around on his favorite new bike, scaring the shit out me and laughing like a maniac. He eventually managed to run me up the metal bars of one of the holding pens, which had an electric wire at the top.
So I climbed up seven feet, grabbed a high-voltage wire, and fell seven feet onto solid concrete. Small concusion, unconsiousness, shock-burns, and the worst pain I've ever felt. When I woke up everyone else was at the house acting like nothing had happened. Go figure.

High voltage, low amps. amps are what does the damage, the higher the ampage the more likely you are to die. Even a shock from a 12 volt battery or alternator on a car can kill you because they have a high amp output.

SnowFox

High voltage, low amps. amps are what does the damage, the higher the ampage the more likely you are to die. Even a shock from a 12 volt battery or alternator on a car can kill you because they have a high amp output.

Yes, but your body has a high resistance so it's going to take a higher voltage to push a higher current through you. A 12 volt battery will never be able to shock you because 12V divided by probably a few million ohms = pretty much no significant current. You'd get shocked by an alternator though, I think that's a few thousand volts.

Randy-Darkshade

Yes, but your body has a high resistance so it's going to take a higher voltage to push a higher current through you. A 12 volt battery will never be able to shock you because 12V divided by probably a few million ohms = pretty much no significant current. You'd get shocked by an alternator though, I think that's a few thousand volts.

Did you know the largest car fuse you can get is 32amp? that is the same as a CB for a oven circuit in a british home. Enough to kill. The smallest I have seen is 10amps and that is on circuits in a car that can be operated while the engine is off, thus running from battery alone. 10 amps is enough to kill.

EDIT: I just realized you meant directly from the battery not a circuit >< sorry.

Last edited:

Jashwa

You obviously have never tinkered with the electrics in a car while the battery is still connected. And know little about cars. did you know the largest car fuse you can get is 32amp? that is the same as a CB for a oven circuit in a british home. Enough to kill. The smallest I have seen is 10amps and that is on circuits in a car that can be operated while the engine is off, thus running from battery alone. 10 amps is enough to kill.

EDIT: I just realized you meant directly from the battery not a circuit >< sorry.
I love how you insult him and then don't edit it out when you realize you read wrong. Hilarious :D

SnowFox

You obviously have never tinkered with the electrics in a car while the battery is still connected. And know little about cars. did you know the largest car fuse you can get is 32amp? that is the same as a CB for a oven circuit in a british home. Enough to kill. The smallest I have seen is 10amps and that is on circuits in a car that can be operated while the engine is off, thus running from battery alone. 10 amps is enough to kill.

Y U SO MEEN RANDY ;_;

No I've never tinkered with a car, I don't know about cars, but I know about electrics.
If you could get that amount of current through you I agree it would kill you, but I get the impression you think a car battery is going to force a high current through whatever is put between it's terminals. It has the ability to supply a very high current if you to try to draw a high current, but if you put your hands across it you'll probably only get a few micro amps or less.

If you get a shock from a 230V 45amp cooker circuit it's not going to be any worse than getting one from a 230V 5amp lighting circuit.

Randy-Darkshade

Y U SO MEEN RANDY ;_;

No I've never tinkered with a car, I don't know about cars, but I know about electrics.
If you could get that amount of current through you I agree it would kill you, but I get the impression you think a car battery is going to force a high current through whatever is put between it's terminals. It has the ability to supply a very high current if you to try to draw a high current, but if you put your hands across it you'll probably only get a few micro amps or less.

If you get a shock from a 230V 45amp cooker circuit it's not going to be any worse than getting one from a 230V 5amp lighting circuit.

Lol, I was referring to the electrical circuits drawing out the current, never mind. True for the second part, but it would be different if you touched a faulty cooker drawing said amps through it, but an idle circuit with no appliances on would be no different from each other.

Basically I was just trying to point out that the size of the voltage doesn't matter, it's the amps in a circuit.

This reminds me of the time a qualified electrician decided to take a short cut and work on a three phase 450 volt fuse box...live. I was working with the company at the time, but not with this guy, and he shorted the whole fusebox out because he dropped his cutters that then hit some of the live contacts, the electrical flash was so bright he was blind for a few days afterwords.

But since I had work experience with electricians I get asked if I can put up lights, take down lights etc etc. I remember one of my moms EX's who was a gardener/odd jobber got asked to put in a new feed to some dog kennels at a charity animal shelter, but he got muggins here to do it.

SnowFox

it would be different if you touched a faulty cooker drawing said amps through it, but an idle circuit with no appliances on would be no different from each other.

No, it would be the same in all those cases. The shock will only be worse (higher current) if it's a higher voltage, or you have a lower resistance (perhaps from wet/sweaty hands or something).

Basically I was just trying to point out that the size of the voltage doesn't matter, it's the amps in a circuit.

You're right in what you're trying to say, but I'm not sure you're understanding/explaining it quite right.

This reminds me of the time a qualified electrician decided to take a short cut and work on a three phase 450 volt fuse box...live. I was working with the company at the time, but not with this guy, and he shorted the whole fusebox out because he dropped his cutters that then hit some of the live contacts, the electrical flash was so bright he was blind for a few days afterwords.

But since I had work experience with electricians I get asked if I can put up lights, take down lights etc etc. I remember one of my moms EX's who was a gardener/odd jobber got asked to put in a new feed to some dog kennels at a charity animal shelter, but he got muggins here to do it.

I'm surprised he didn't get blinded from getting blasted in the face with molten metal :eek:

I once cut through a 230V cable thinking I'd disconnected it. I hadn't, and I melted 2 holes in my penknife. I think I still have it somewhere, I might take a picture if I remember since I was quite impressed at the time. I was touching the blade with my bare hands and didn't get a shock.

Randy-Darkshade

You're right in what you're trying to say, but I'm not sure you're understanding/explaining it quite right.

I am not very good with explaining, I always leave parts iout which is why I prefer to show instead of explain.

I'm surprised he didn't get blinded from getting blasted in the face with molten metal :eek:

I once cut through a 230V cable thinking I'd disconnected it. I hadn't, and I melted 2 holes in my penknife. I think I still have it somewhere, I might take a picture if I remember since I was quite impressed at the time. I was touching the blade with my bare hands and didn't get a shock.

I got an electric shock from a ceiling fan I was removing. I thought the power was off. Now normally a house here just has the one fuse box, but this one had two. Now I hit the main switch in one to turn off power thinking it would isolate both boxes, I assumed wrong, what some plank decided to do was have one fuse box for upstairs circuits and a separate one for downstairs with a separate main switch in each.

that was a nice shock.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk

KirbyCowFox

Muu-bitch!
Once, when I was around 8 and unplugging something the wrong way... *shudders* Ugh, wasn't a walk on the beach.