• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

EMERGENCY!!! Buy my art, save a cat. *Damn vet bills*

AlrightFurs of the FA forums, there is a cat in need of amputation due to cancer. The biopsy, over night stay and surgery costs is estimated at around 2400$ (CN), that is ALLOT of cheddar. D:

My poor friend is just an assistant manager at Subway, and doesn't make the greatest money. She is quite broken up over this situation, and people as nice as she is deserves some help once in a while. Heck if not for her, for her cat, Deacon. So buy some art, help a kitteh.

I am offering 5$ colored sketches from G-NC17 ANY FETISH, anything!
Additional characters will be 2.50$ each.

Cleaned sketches will be 3$. Ruff sketch will be 2$

I will also do fully colored digital chibies at 5$ each with simple background.

I can do full paintings for this fund raiser to be completed by the end of April. I wish to keep all free art time for the next month to the 5$ colored sketchs.
For a digital painting: 50$ for just the character and per character, or 100$ for character and background, still 50$ per full additional character. If you can only see half of the second character, Ill only charge 25$ and so forth.

PLEASE help. (Will post a pic of the kitten in need once my friend uploads it.)
Every dollar counts.

She was in her bank the day before last and was talking to her teller about it, a woman she loosly knew. Her teller wanted to help and donate, as well as the teller beside her, the woman in line behind her gave her 20$, then the bank manager came out and said. "What ever she can earn in the next week or two, she will match!!!!" So, it goes with out saying she needs as much money as possible in the next 10 days.

Also my art is AWESOME if I do say so myself. I am comfortable with realisim, toony, and anything in between... Not anime though.. I suck at the anime style. Have a look-see. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/sateva9822/ then, commission me!

Volkodav

Dad****er
I live in Ontario, Canada and that price you estimated is just batshit insane. I don't understand how that kind of surgery could even be billed at that unless you're going to the most expensive vet.

Its really not that batshit insane. My cat who had to be put down not too long ago had the option of amputation. With surgery, post-op care and overnight stay etc, they quoted us around 2200. And her chance of survival was very slim. We didnt have the money, and with the chances so low, couldnt risk her being A. miserable the rest of her life from not being able to go outside, or B. pretty much putting ourselves on the street and her not even making it through surgery.

So how about instead of being an insensitive prick you just not comment and let people who actually want to help do just that?

dinosaurdammit

White Devil
Its really not that batshit insane. My cat who had to be put down not too long ago had the option of amputation. With surgery, post-op care and overnight stay etc, they quoted us around 2200. And her chance of survival was very slim. We didnt have the money, and with the chances so low, couldnt risk her being A. miserable the rest of her life from not being able to go outside, or B. pretty much putting ourselves on the street and her not even making it through surgery.

So how about instead of being an insensitive prick you just not comment and let people who actually want to help do just that?

He wasnt being insensitive. He was pretty much telling OP to shop around to get a lower price.

Fay V

Lost to this world
Telling people they might need a cheaper vet is not insensitive, could he have been nicer about it? Maybe, but let's cut out that shit here. If you have a better suggestion post it. Otherwise keep it to the topic of donations.

Raineyangel81

$2400 is about correct for an amputation in the US, unless you know your vet really well and they're willing to do it for cheaper. Not to usurp the thread, but my dog needed a surgery that originally costed 4500. with complications at the end of a week the charges came up to 12,000. Since they never called to tell me that they would be charging all this, I told them flat out I couldn't pay since I only allotted so much for the surgery and my mom was paying what I couldn't. They ended up taking away the extra and only charging the original quote.

However....anywhere else outside the US don't charge as much... At best if you shop around for a better quote, you'd likely only get a few hundred shaved off the price. The surgery itself isn't much, it's all the extra crap the vets pile on top (I worked as a vet tech for 8 years :3)

Thaily

Oh good lord that's a lot of money! :|
A leg amputation on my rabbit was 200 euro, including overnight stay and medication. And size and complexity-wise, there's not that big a difference. If anything, rabbits are more difficult because a lot of veterinary medication has been made specifically for dogs and cats and not rabbits.
Is there some kind of price agreement scam going on with North American vets? o_O;

I hope you and your friend can raise the money.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Noted. It's not much, but I'm not rolling in dough myself.

D

drpickelle

Pets Should be covered under health insurance-- those vet bills are insane!

I wish you, your friend and Deacon good luck!

Volkodav

Dad****er

That's seriously insane. I can bring my cat in and get dental surgery, overnight stay, all medications, all anesthesia, post-op care, post-op medication for $200. I think you're going to the most expensive vet ever if an amp. + overnight + post-op is almost $3000 or you're actually in the states, where vet care is insanely priced.
I'm not being a prick, I'm asking you what the hell is going on. Have you called around?
Last time I called around I got estimations from $600 for the operation and found a vet who did it for $200. He isn't even in my city, he's in another city, but it's worth the lowered price.

Just trying to get you to save money but it's okay if you wanna be crabby about it

EDIT: Unless you live in Quebec, ther is absolutely no reason why a vet would give you an estimate for removing a tumor at THREE THOUSAND.
Hell, you can get a cat spayed for $75 in Ontario whereas if you go to the states or the most expensive vets [speaking from experience] it'll cost you hundreds.
I called around here for estimates on getting a cat spayed and the estimates varied from a couple hundred $$ all the way down to $75.

Last edited:
This isn't my cat, or my thread. I've just been down this road myself so it kind of hits home. I apologize for mistaking your concern for overpriced vets as accusations of false stories.

Also; Getting dental surgery, and even spaying is a whole nother ball game from amputation. They are taking a limb, and it takes alot of recovery and medication, especially since her cat has cancer, its probably alot more involved than just amputation.

EDIT; i myself am in the states, and yes, vet prices here are so friggin ridiculous that it should be illegal to charge almost $200 just to get my kittens their shots and checked up. EACH.

Last edited:
@ Clayton

Vets can be stupidly expensive when it comes to major surgeries. Actually... They are pretty expensive some to think of it.

I took one bait dog my roomie and I were fostering, he was in pretty bad shape, and a pit bull with his nuts at 8 years old to boot. (They can be put to sleep on the spot for that) It had a MASSIVE something on his left ankle, he had also developed mange and several other infections threw the scars he got from being a fighting ring punching bag. Cost, 700$ on the first visit when we took him in, plus another 100$ to have him neutered with out risking a vet turning him over to animal services. THEN they said for their services with out the medication alone was going to end up being around 3000$ in the end. (Ended up costing 3900$... He had a shitty life, and he was a giant, scary looking frankenstine, but he was such a sweetie. He got a good home out in the country with some one who could afford the vet bills, and 4 other rescue dogs. :3 (I actually wrote a recent FA journal about this dog, Samson)

(Reply to second post)

What Vet do you go to to get that for 200$... Also, why would it need to stay over night after having a tooth pulled out?
Why are you trying to get SpeckledMutt to save money? What does he have to do with a cat owned by a woman I know?

Can I have your vets number please? I would like to see what he would charge and how far from Peterborough it is, so I may pass that information on, in hopes she can save some money.

Are you referring to the SPCA clinics in Barrie and Newmarket? Yeah, for low budget earners that meet all the specifications, the waiting list goes on and on for ever. I got on the list just after my Bday in May, and they called me in November to book an appointment 2 months from then. At that point, the cat no longer met their specifications, because it, was pregnant...
@SpeckledMutt

2200, isn't too far off of 2400.

(Reply to second post)

I agree, it's criminal. :<
@ Dinosaurdammit

It's not my cat, I don't really have an say in the matter.

@ Barefootfoof

Yes, there are allot of people who do that crap. But don't those people usually just beg for money?
I am offering good art, that takes 1-2 (3 if I like ya) hours to complete, at a good price. I hardly see how it could be considered I scam.

@Raineyangel81

DAAAAMN! You got soooooooooo lucky!!! :D
That is awesome I am glad it all worked out in the end, well 4000 is a heck of allot of money. You should've had a fund raiser. ;)

How was being a Vet-Tech any how? I am considering going to school for that.

@Thaily

Damn! You guys have some awesome vet prices over there, 200 Euro works out to roughly 400 Canadian.

@Kit H. Ruppell

Thanks for your help! You are on my due by Friday list. :D

@drpickelle

He actually was. She had to stop about 2 years ago, couldn't afford it, and every thing fine and healthy with her 3 cats.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks every one who has ordered artings so far!

Raineyangel81

Usually large hospitals will charge more than a local "old" vet...and by that I mean a single vet that owns his own clinic for the past 30+ years (estimation but you get my drift). Rural vets will also charge less...dunno why but they do. The bigger the city, the more they charge.
The surgery that my dog had took place at VSA (veterinary surgical associates) where they charge an arm and a leg, but they do have a full staff and if complications do arise, they are there to take care of it.

And being a vet-tech is tough, but gratifying. You have to love animals...you have to be able to handle euthanasias and being around clients when their pet is dying. You have to be able to handle a lot and be able to do well under stress. I've found being a vet tech is highly stressful....
I enjoyed it and vet techs are always needed--not always easy and sometimes it's harder to deal with the veterinarian than the actual work itself..lol

Anyway, best wishes to your friend's cat. I would, personally, call around for a basic price quote from other veterinarians. Complications do occur during and after surgery and that does have an affect on the price. Your friend can also try to plead her case and see if a veterinarian would do it for less. Sometimes they will, but it depends on their relationship with the client.

Tuss

Stoopid Scalebutt
Bleddy 'ellis that's expencive.
I'll see if I have anything left at the end of paying bills x3