• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Eulogies

Cam

Tick my laint
So after 6 months of battling liver failure, escaping death 2 times, and losing all mental consciousness for 2 weeks, my mother has passed away early this morning.

So after a hard day of thinking, experiencing high and numb emotions, I have decided that I am going to be reading the eulogy for my moms services on Saturday...

Only problem is I have never written one of these things before... so I have no idea what to put in...

After about an hour of thinking, I have about 2 paragraphs written so far, basically describing humorous and very deep minded perceptions of my mom and whatnot..

Even though I got teary throughout writing the whole thing (err.. well what I have so far that is) I dont think i'll have an issue presenting it to a large crowd, since I am incredibly good at presenting myself in front of a large amount of people.

So does anyone have any good tips for writing and presenting a eulogy? Ever read one for a loved one before?

T

Tycho

Never had to write/read an eulogy before. I can tell you that writing a long eulogy for the sake of being long as some kind of tribute to the departed or something is overrated/dumb. Who she was, what she meant to you, what you will remember her for. Anything else is pointless window dressing - I seriously doubt she's doing a word count on your eulogy from the great beyond and saying "Tsk, tsk, you couldn't come up with 800 words for your mother?" like a history teacher reading an essay.

Cam

Tick my laint
Never had to write/read an eulogy before. I can tell you that writing a long eulogy for the sake of being long as some kind of tribute to the departed or something is overrated/dumb. Who she was, what she meant to you, what you will remember her for. Anything else is pointless window dressing - I seriously doubt she's doing a word count on your eulogy from the great beyond and saying "Tsk, tsk, you couldn't come up with 800 words for your mother?" like a history teacher reading an essay.

Oh im not really worried about how long it is... I know my mom would just want me to keep it simple and whatnot...

My mom loved my humor side too, so im sure she would love to watch me talk about her and poke fun about and stuff

Joeyyy

Fresh Prince of FAF
Id say the best eulogy is the one that doesnt make people cry or tear up etc.

and sorry dude.

Wolf70

*Insert Something Witty*
I'm extremely sorry for your loss. Eulogies are supposed to bye "something to remember someone by". For that reason focus on the things that made her unique. Focus on something positive that she left you with. A life lesson or antidote and the effect she had on others. Lastly try to keep it light. As sad as a service is, it is supposed to be a celebration of that person's life and should leave everyone with a sense of closure.

Last edited:

Cam

Tick my laint
Id say the best eulogy is the one that doesnt make people cry or tear up etc.

and sorry dude.

if she loved your humor side make the people laugh a bit, why should a funeral be all about crying and mourning.

Thats exactly what Im aiming for

Basically making fun of her love for food network, Ford cars, and all things Madonna & Lady GaGa

Cam

Tick my laint
My condolences for your loss.

As for what to write... write from the heart.

Thank you ♥

And yea ive been sticking to that... my mom LOVED my personality.. and she knows probably even better than i do that I will make it totally awesome

Cam

Tick my laint
I think it will be too... im very easy going at presentations

Maybe ill tape it or something

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
I'm so sorry to hear.

To put it beast, just say some nice things about her, share an appropriate happy story, and the rest will come naturally.
Take your time, and write and say what comes natural. If people don't understand emotional stuff, then that is their problem, not yours.

Cam

Tick my laint
I'm so sorry to hear.

To put it beast, just say some nice things about her, share an appropriate happy story, and the rest will come naturally.
Take your time, and write and say what comes natural. If people don't understand emotional stuff, then that is their problem, not yours.

I really hope people can understand my emotional metaphors and whatnot... I tend to use really big words when speaking in front of people in such.... but i think itll work

Past is past. There is nothing to be sorry about - continue your life, as you are the one leading it, fierce and sharp, charging and roaming through everywhere, starting the new year.

I don't have experience writing eulogies, and I don't even know what is an eulogy exactly, must have heard and forgotton.
You hear, you forget. You see, you remember. You do, you understand. So carry on.

I believe people will hear what you have to say - express your mind, throw it on your paper, regardless of how aggressive or abnormal it sounds.

many condolences.

ive never had to write/read a eulogy, but from the few that i have seen, i would say steer clear of long words or things that you wouldnt usually say, in case you do have an unexpected emotional outburst and cant get your words out, they sound much better (and more flowing) if they sound like something that was written by the person reading it, though from what i gather, you use long words quite a lot, so really its your decision.

Gavrill

ladies~
I tried to write a eulogy for a friend who died once even though I missed her funeral, but I felt I could never get it right. I eventually ended up highlighting all the fun/stupid things we did and how she always wanted me to be happy.

I'm tearing up so I'll stop there, sorry.

Volkodav

Dad****er
A few days before I was 12, my mom passed away from pancreatic cancer.
When we went to her funeral, I was the only kid from my family who went up and said anything. I had nothing written down, I just talked about the cool shit me and my mom did and how she was a great person and nice to everybody.

I'm really sorry about your mom ]: Really sucks to lose someone so close to you.

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
I really hope people can understand my emotional metaphors and whatnot... I tend to use really big words when speaking in front of people in such.... but i think itll work

Like I said, if they don't understand emotional thoughts, then that is their problem. As long as you get your point across, people will love nearly whatever you say.

Volkodav

Dad****er
Like I said, if they don't understand emotional thoughts, then that is their problem. As long as you get your point across, people will love nearly whatever you say.

I agree. I don't think it matters if people don't understand fully [I doubt half the people knew what I was saying during mine lol], all that matters is if you say what you feel & you really mean it. :)

Zrcalo

I STALK PRINCIPLES
whatever you do... dont cry while saying it.

Cam

Tick my laint
whatever you do... dont cry while saying it.

Oh ney ney

That will happen... just how I roll it off is what matters

Funeral on Sep 11... so I still got a few more days to get a final copy done

Cam

Tick my laint
Just had the wake today...

Finished the eulogy completely this morning....

Ill probably post a video of me reading it tomorrow or some shit