• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Evacuating of Chicago

Gryphoneer

20 Quatloos on "disruptive"
Welcome to the "War On Terror" era where every excess can be justified by EEEBIL tewwowwists lurking in the shadows.

Course it's dodgy. Even if you host a conference near a famous city, it's always in a out-of-the-way location that's good to monitor. Evacuating the whole city is ridiculous, especially if you consider every single modern summit is just show.

Nowadays negotiations are always held in advance and updates send via diplomatic cables or whatever modern electronic mediums. You don't really think there's a head of state who can politically afford to come to a conference without returning with a treaty? Doing negotiations in person hurts a head of state's bargaining ability. All those alleged summits only solemnize the results with a lot of pomp and are therefore pure boondoggle.

This whole thing smells like scaremongering and repression of political dissent in form of protesters.

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
This whole thing smells like scaremongering and repression of political dissent in form of protesters.
What I'm hoping for is that they push the "panic citizens" button so many times that nobody will give a shit anymore.

Gryphoneer

What I'm hoping for is that they push the "panic citizens" button so many times that nobody will give a shit anymore.
I hope not, because this button conveys a certain image that's at odds with reality.

The powers that be were very successful at making the public associate "terrorist" with "person differently hued than you", while the major sources of terrorist outrages in Europe and the USA are nearly completely ignored - extremist right-wing and christianist groups.

From Anders Breivik through the Oklahoma bomber through any number of gynaecologist-murdering shit-wits, that's the sector the big death toll has come from in recent years. Oh, those BNP guys with a bomb factory who got locked up the other year? Charged under a Victorian-era "playing with fireworks" statute rather than the recent anti-tewwowwist laws, which carry much more draconian sentences (but only for folks with the wrong skin colour).

So maybe one day the biggest name in terrorism won't be Al Qaida or Hamas, but Tea Party.

CannonFodder

I hope not, because this button conveys a certain image that's at odds with reality.

The powers that be were very successful at making the public associate "terrorist" with "person differently hued than you", while the major sources of terrorist outrages in Europe and the USA are nearly completely ignored - extremist right-wing and christianist groups.

From Anders Breivik through the Oklahoma bomber through any number of gynaecologist-murdering shit-wits, that's the sector the big death toll has come from in recent years. Oh, those BNP guys with a bomb factory who got locked up the other year? Charged under a Victorian-era "playing with fireworks" statute rather than the recent anti-tewwowwist laws, which carry much more draconian sentences (but only for folks with the wrong skin colour).

So maybe one day the biggest name in terrorism won't be Al Qaida or Hamas, but Tea Party.
The chances of terrorism ever being on a large scale being associated with crazies in the usa is next to nil. Sure plenty of people think those attacks are terrorist attacks, but as you said terrorism is associated with people of middle east descent.

Gryphoneer

I dread the day when the crying wolf has rendered the public jaded enough to allow the conserfascists to strike against those they hate: Hispanics, African-Americans, environmentalists, abortion doctors, geneticists, Muslims, atheists..., in short, the Other in general.

E

Elim Garak

Standard NATO procedure if intelligence picks up any ANY suspicious messages going about.

CannonFodder

Links or it didn't happen.
Caroline means that it's standard procedure if somebody makes a threat or anything. It could mean anything really from someone just made a threat to someone tried to attack or it could just mean there was just a rumor and nato got spooked.

The thing that is suspicious though is the urban warfare training lies outside of standard procedure.

Something is up, we just don't know what and chances are we'll probably never know.

LemonJayde

No wait I hate you
Shit just got real

Joeyyy

Fresh Prince of FAF
Theres nothing to worry about. Just trying to protect the people from the risks that go with the conference.

LouyieBlu

Contemplative Nitwit
It's not just you, it sounds extremely fishy.

A likely explanation is a homeland terrorist group or something wanted to start a shootout with the cops and they called it practice so other groups wouldn't join them. It may sound crazy, but a michigan based group in 2010 had planned on doing just that by going around killing cops. So it's not a far leap to say some group in chicago tried to do the same.

tl:dr; the cover story sounds like bullshit and imo the best explanation is someone wanted to start a shootout with the cops.

Im not sure if you meant this connection, but you said fishy and your avatar is a marine animal, just me?

But yes this all very strange and full of fish as you say. It is likely though that a lot of it is just rumor or cover story shit. The idea of an attack is plausible though.
We will have to wait and see, let time do its thing.

CannonFodder

The idea of an attack is plausible though.
It's POSSIBLE that we may find out if the cover story is bullshit or not after the actual conference.

Personally my money is on that it's bullshit.

Last edited:

Lyxen

Revivalst
Phewww I live 20min from downtown... I'm safe right??? :confused: lol.. when is NATO anyway....

Neuron

Oh okay 20-21 of May
Hi there! Please don't double post. If you want to edit your previous post to add something, just click the edit button in the bottom right corner of your posts.

I feel like whatever is going to go down is going to shape the next few months. Or maybe nothing will happen and we'll go back to worrying about the next thing.

Expect the best, plan for the worst.

"urban warfare training", the area where the meeting is DOES fall under "urban" category, right?
And a plan to evac the area of the meeting doesn't sound that unrealistic.

All of it could easily fall under "what could go wrong on the meeting, and what can we do against it?"
On the other hand: It IS the USA

Gryphoneer

Torrijos-sama

The Artist Formerly Known as Jesusfish
Protesting and riots at a NATO summit?

What is next? A Black Bloc at a G-20 or WTO summit?
Angry people? Who knows!