• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Ever worked hard on a drawing or design and it gets no traction

Kajira

I know what you mean, but the real important thing is that you learn something or refine your technique, and a lot of the time you will look back on it and be like, wow, why did i not think this looked good at the time. Plus, a lot of random factors go into whether people will see it at the exact right time and maybe it just gets missed sometimes by luck or any other factor. Just don't ever stop drawing and you'll always be improving and enjoying it.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Unless producing art is a profession you rely on, I think we should make art because expressing ourselves benefits us- rather than because we expect to feel better about ourselves by seeing other people react to that art.

MoonlitEsau

Creepy Victorian boy
The way I see it, the process of making art, while sometimes stressful, should be ultimately something you enjoy doing. I'm not really satisfied with how my art looks most of the time, but the prospect of seeing what went wrong and improving over time is what keeps me trying.

n1ghtmar3w0lf

seen that happen a few times, if i may i will show them here
1622685597.nightmarew0lf_knights_chronicles_volume_1_cover_v2.jpg

https://www.furaffinity.net/view/41171488/ in link for adult

1618964093.nightmarew0lf_elemental_colored_.jpg

Sigvard Alfrothul

I think that’s just being an artist. My whole life I’ve been involved in the arts, rather that be drawing, sculpting, or doing digital art. As an artist I’m constantly trying to improve my work and though great by most peoples standards, I am my worse critic. Instead of looking at my art, thinking it’s terrible, i’ll look for the worst feature or part of my art and then the next time I try to tackle it I try just to focus on fixing that part until it becomes second nature. It’s a lot of work but it can be done, trust me. I started out like anyone else and eventually got good enough at what I do that I was hired by Disney and worked on a few of the marvel films making some of the most iconic props in movie history! Even then I criticize all the imperfections that no one would ever notice! Anyway from an art educator this is the most educational thing you will ever learn and that is, You will learn more from your failures than you ever will from your success.

Last edited:

Ember_Kamura

I know what you mean, but the real important thing is that you learn something or refine your technique, and a lot of the time you will look back on it and be like, wow, why did i not think this looked good at the time. Plus, a lot of random factors go into whether people will see it at the exact right time and maybe it just gets missed sometimes by luck or any other factor. Just don't ever stop drawing and you'll always be improving and enjoying it.
Kind of hard to refine or learn much when you get no critque.

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
Same here! I have incomparably more arts than what's shown to public... I just can't show them to others...

Perhaps that's the reason my pals tell me that I seem to improve or change drastically every time?
The essence is to keep doing it! However, if you don't feel like doing it, take a break and do anything else you prefer more. One moment, hopefully you'll be returning and be creating new art that's more satisfying than former ones.

That's how I do! OwO

spoonful-of-jam

Can definitely relate, and it's really disheartening. :/ I know I'm not the most amazing artist in the world, but I'd say I'm at least decent, and yet it's so frigging hard to get any amount of feedback on anything. But like someone else already said, there are a lot of other factors beyond skill that go into whether or not your work gets seen, so maybe a lot of the people who experience this are actually doing something else "wrong" like not posting frequently enough, not networking/interacting with other users enough, etc.

Ryblrai

Same here! I have incomparably more arts than what's shown to public... I just can't show them to others...

Perhaps that's the reason my pals tell me that I seem to improve or change drastically every time?
The essence is to keep doing it! However, if you don't feel like doing it, take a break and do anything else you prefer more. One moment, hopefully you'll be returning and be creating new art that's more satisfying than former ones.

That's how I do! OwO
This is,, so relatable man. I have tons of sketches/finished pieces that just get chunked because they're embarrassing for some reason or I think something looks off. Sometimes a whole month can go by without me posting anything and by then my art's totally different. But,,, you're so right. It's really important to take a break sometimes 100%

Ratt Carry

Drawing for views is a noxious mentality and follower/engagement numbers mean fuck all with the exception of trying to earn money. Even then, it's not entirely critical.
You will go stale trying to make things to only appease people for a number high. And that lack of passion will ensure your obscurity.

Draw to improve. Not for metrics.

RailRide

The Real Wheels of Steel
This showed up in my youtube recommendeds since I periodically look up art tutorial stuff. It looks especially relevant now:

(good thing I was watching this...I caught one of my usb desk lamps starting to smoke right next to my keyboard o_O )

---PCJ

Sven Solitude

The thing is we only appear for a brief moment on the front page of the large art platforms. Maybe we receive 3 or 4 likes from there and and then we get shoved away from dozens of new images. It is definitely easier to get attention when you draw something that many people are familiar with. Especially fan art. People will look for the things they like. It is impossible to look for something that is unknown. I mean...who would type "Undertale" in a search bar, when one doesn't even know it exists? Being active in a community is probably the best way to get noticed when you create more personal or unique things.

Another important thing in my opinion is interaction in your art. I shared one piece that was just "pretty". I put a lot of effort into it, everything I learned about color theory and was really proud of it. And it didn't receive a single comment, haha. Then I drew something simple in a cartoon style, it was a simple joke and it received over 10 comments! People like to interact, we just have to give them a reason to. A deeper meaning, something mysterious, a question or humor. :) People then really want to share their opinions! And it's more than: "Your art looks nice!"

Another thing I can recommend is to look for different art platforms, smaller ones. Some have very dedicated members and since there aren't many uploads, you will get noticed immediately and for a longer period of time.

To have no expectations when uploading art is probably the best thing. Just draw what you love, for fun, enjoying the process. Then, whenever you receive a comment or like, is a nice bonus, but not necessary. :)

lazarus102

Really? I look back on the art I did before and I'm like "Damn.. didn't think I was that shitty back then.." It's a thing of relativity. Like how I used to think that goldeneye on the N64 had the best grfx ever, but now I look back on it and it's grfx are terrible.

I totally get what the OP is saying though.. I have terrible self esteem issues.. Honestly, a very small percentage of my art has been seen by anyone but me. It can be difficult when you're caught on a snag, especially when you can't quite figure out where you're going wrong. Like in anime style, getting faces at dynamic angles to look right, is a major pain..

MaxyG

I understand, I go through this too and I feel lonely and lost. But the important thing is that you like it. Eventually more people will like it too. The important thing is to do and be good for you >< (It´s hard to be a small artist...)