• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Exactly How Canine Are Foxes Supposed To Be?

M

Massan Otter

I reckon that for an anthro fox, fictional and folkloric fox characters are great sources to draw from too. Personally, if I was ever to have a fox character he'd resemble this guy more than any real life fox!

p02bmrsv.jpg

Ravofox

back to Aussie foxying!
I was surprised, from seeing a few videos, that foxes do bark (as well as make a whole host of other noises.)

In regard to fennec foxes, in interesting fact is that they...purr! So some cat-like activity there:D

It's easy. Just run around and make weird noises, now you're a Fox! ;):D

Lol, can't argue with that!:p

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Dog hardware running cat software.

Just something I'm curious about. Foxes are canids, but they're further removed from dogs, wolves and coyotes. So, how much like dogs do foxes act like? Because, uh, my sona pretty much acts like a dog, and I don't know if that's accurate or not. XD
Foxes bark and howl, they also play like dogs do. Red foxes do not have packs they stick together during reproduction season and the male and the female stick together to take care of their pups for a while. Arctic foxes have a more complicated social structure and help can cooperate to guard territory even if they are not reproducing. Foxes, like dogs are highly intelligent so they are capable of finding a life long partner because they are not necessary bound by the rules of nature.

MalibuCat

Lioness, beach bum
From what I've observed, foxes are very feline. They are solitary, climb trees, are (generally) quiet, and stealthy, cautious creatures. Their enemies are the other canines - dogs, coyotes, and wolves all can and do hunt them and eat them.
But lately, efforts have been made to breed foxes for pets (it goes back to a super interesting experiment from Russia, google "russian foxes domestication" and it should come up). Anyway, these "tame" foxes act totally like pet dogs! They bark, wag their tails, and are very affectionate and expressive. Perhaps your sona is one of these kinds of foxes! +

From what I've observed, foxes are very feline. They are solitary, climb trees, are (generally) quiet, and stealthy, cautious creatures. Their enemies are the other canines - dogs, coyotes, and wolves all can and do hunt them and eat them.
But lately, efforts have been made to breed foxes for pets (it goes back to a super interesting experiment from Russia, google "russian foxes domestication" and it should come up). Anyway, these "tame" foxes act totally like pet dogs! They bark, wag their tails, and are very affectionate and expressive. Perhaps your sona is one of these kinds of foxes! +
It's interesting that you should mention the domesticated foxes in Russia. they are silver foxes actually and a part of an experiment that have been going on since 1959 if I remember correctly. After generations of tame foxes some of them have started to curl up their tail and the fur have changed a little bit. It's fascinating. Here in my country Norway there are some who buy fox puppies from the fur industry to tame them and save them from a horrible fate and as you say they act very much like dogs, just dogs that can climb x)

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
A good analogy someone who raised foxes once told me

If you smash a cat and a dog together and add a little bit of destructiveness you got a fox.

It is worth to mention since many people compare foxes to felines. biologically foxes have pretty much no connection to felines, I can see that it is easy to compare them to felines since they can climb but there are many animals who can climb and there are many swift animals like raccoons, red panda and many others. Foxes are not really that much like felines especially not if you think of what they eat. Foxes do mainly eat meat but they do also eat berries and eggs, they are omnivores and felines are always carnivores.