• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Expensive grfx (screen) tablets vs. less expensive ones? Also, which brands offer 4k res?

lazarus102

I am trying to gauge how worth it, it would be to go for a top of the line wired grfx tablet (Cintiq), from my current tablet. Nvm on cintiq.. Best I can tell, their cheapest 4k tablet would be well over 2000$ CAD.. Not looking to spend quite that much.. However I have my eyes on this tablet:

https://store.huion.com/ca/products/kamvas-pro-16-4k-series Sadly no shortcut keys on this thing though.. They're trying to boast that as a 'feature' for left handed users.. Bit of a copout though..

I am mainly wondering how people's experiences have been when going from a mid-end grfx(screen) tablet, to a high-end grfx tablet? Like, do they feel a difference in the drawing itself? Also, what is with this 'full laminated glass'? Does that eliminate the need for the screen protectors? Can it be scratched? Does it have a paper feel?

I know that 4k is a limiting factor, and also boosts the price exponentially, however, in this day and age, with 4k being the standard; I've got a 4k monitor and 4k TV. The thing is, I like to use my tablet in clone-mode with my computer screen(or occasionally with the TV), so that I have full functional use of my PC with my pen , and so I'm stuck constantly running my desktop display in old-school FHD (fucked high definition, as opposed to ultra high definition) mode, with my current tablet.

Warning, less relevant stuff below:

That's one thing, if they're not gonna optimize wireless/bluetooth connections with these tablets, the least they could do is get with the decade in regards to the resolutions.. It's a bit appalling that we're in the year 2021, and already in the transition of upgrading screens to 8k, and yet, most of the tablet manufactures are still stuck on 1080p..

Also, side-note for a quick laugh:

Ever see a 400$ Keyboard? How about one that ONLY works with Ipads? LOL... This is the worst thing I've seen since the 1000$ Apple monitor stand.. God that company is scary.. Thank god they didn't win the computer wars in the early-late 90s.. I mean, M$ is a horrible shitty company, but APPLE makes me want to friend M$ on Facebook, lol...

lazarus102

Nvm.. Guess not too many artists on here using screen tablets.. Not sure why, the good ones are actually becoming affordable..

Like, I got this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08LCYX24N?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image
for 500$(with tax) Canadian.. That'd probably be like, 250-300 American..

I did really want 4k, but wasn't able to find a notable top brand that wasn't charging 1000$++ more just for having 4k resolution on the tablet.. This tablet I'm getting is essentially the same as the 4k one but with a lower color gamut, and no 4k.. but 1100$ cheaper, and the one with 4k didn't have the shortcut keys; which is pretty much essential for anyone that holds their tablet rather than hunching over a desk. I sit in front of my TV a lot of the time and watch netflix while I draw, so havin to scoot back over to my keyboard every time I need to undo something, woulda been a deal breaker for me..

TowerHaunt

Feraligatr
Get a XP-pen artist pro, you can get them for a fraction of the cintiq and it works just as well. Cintiq were made for people who are paying with grants and free money. XP-Pen is a japanese brand and has a lot of incentive to close the tech gap between Wacom and tablets that normal people can actually buy

My XP-pen artist pro 15 has 8 shortcut keys, a laminated screen and the scroll wheel.

lazarus102

Get a XP-pen artist pro, you can get them for a fraction of the cintiq and it works just as well. Cintiq were made for people who are paying with grants and free money. XP-Pen is a japanese brand and has a lot of incentive to close the tech gap between Wacom and tablets that normal people can actually buy

My XP-pen artist pro 15 has 8 shortcut keys, a laminated screen and the scroll wheel.
As stated, bought a tablet already. went with the Huion Kamvas 15 pro 2021 edition. It gets the job done. A good bit lighter than my old tablet, and my old Gaomon tablet had that issue of the physical connection to the tablet not solidly connecting; so if I moved the tablet a bit the screen would turn on/off and/or start flickering. It was a real headache, so it's nice not dealing with that.

Also that I don't have to take my apps out of full screen to access the stuff on the very edge. Other than that, it's mostly the same. And I've been actually using the glove that came with it in an attempt to avoid the screen getting dirty (I think that's why my old Gaomon tablet screen protector would scratch so easily. It was a real cringy feeling hearing that scratch now and then while drawing.) The Gaomon came with the same glove but I never saw a point in it b4.

One thing I find with this tablet though, is that even though it specifically states that it has the pen tilt function, I find the pen actually stops working while tilted too far, whereas my old Gaomon didn't do that. Then there's the odd pen pressure either working, or not working, thing. But I think that's just to do with the fact that M$, and by connection, Windows, is a piece of crap. I bet the pen pressure works flawlessly every time with Wacom tablets.. The company makes enough money that they probably pay M$ off to ensure that only their tablets work flawlessly.