• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Experience at my First Con

Solcte

Thought salad incoming: I had an AMAZING time at Anthro New England this year! My world has expanded SO MUCH since I joined the furry fandom just 1 year ago. Many new friends and I'm overcoming loads of social anxiety. I'm rediscovering myself again. Just the other day, I told my husband I'm happier now than I've been in my entire life. To the point where, I'm now reconsidering my priorities and how much I want to dedicate to this fandom.

We recently married and we have had rough plans for a honeymoon at Yellowstone. Now, we're seriously discussing building our honeymoon vacation around a fur con, instead. This feels so.. wild. Strange. But I'm happy here. Am I wrong? Anyone else with similar stories?

WitherSDL

CEO of SDL
My first con was a small one in Arizona last year. I went to support a friend and though I didn't care for it much it did reignite some of my interest in the fandom. I went to another con back in January and that one was a lot bigger and more interesting... and here I am now with a fursona on fur affinity.

Arix

Ladies, form a line.
My first one was in September last year. Had no idea what to expect, but had a good enough time that I'm going to another in a week or so.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
Thought salad incoming: I had an AMAZING time at Anthro New England this year! My world has expanded SO MUCH since I joined the furry fandom just 1 year ago. Many new friends and I'm overcoming loads of social anxiety. I'm rediscovering myself again. Just the other day, I told my husband I'm happier now than I've been in my entire life. To the point where, I'm now reconsidering my priorities and how much I want to dedicate to this fandom.

We recently married and we have had rough plans for a honeymoon at Yellowstone. Now, we're seriously discussing building our honeymoon vacation around a fur con, instead. This feels so.. wild. Strange. But I'm happy here. Am I wrong? Anyone else with similar stories?

That's awesome! <the cat pulls you into a big hug> I'm glad you had such a good time! <giggles and smiles>

As for "normal"? You found something you enjoy and you are budgeting your life to maximize it. That sounds like virtually every healthy human I know...you might just be thrown by the "what"maybe but as you've seen furry can be loads of fun! <sigh> I only wish I had similar stories...good for you both and one way or the other, enjoy your honeymoon! <waves playfully>

FurryFelix

Rookie Fur
Glad to hear you had that much fun at ANE!!! Being from CT, I really wanted to go for the first time this year but finances just didn't work this time.

I definitely want to make it next year.

F

FrostHeart

My mom doesn't know what the term furry means, and I don't want to explain it to her... so it will be a few years, when I learn to drive. I was told the closest furcon to me is in Asheville, NC. I haven't been up there since my mental issues landed me at Eliada. So much has changed since then, their donkey died, their pig has a girlfriend and some piglets, they finished their chicken coops I think...

Alopecoid

So glad you've found a home in the fandom! I know the feeling. I've made so many great friends and now have a group of buddies I hang out with regularly. Something I haven't really had before ^!^

And yaaaas, ANE was awesome this year! Did you fursuit? Maybe I saw you around. Glad you had a blast!

Alopecoid

My mom doesn't know what the term furry means, and I don't want to explain it to her... so it will be a few years, when I learn to drive. I was told the closest furcon to me is in Asheville, NC. I haven't been up there since my mental issues landed me at Eliada. So much has changed since then, their donkey died, their pig has a girlfriend and some piglets, they finished their chicken coops I think...

Best of luck to you, I hope you make it to a con soon :)

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
Ah, I'm both happy for your sake, and jealous at the same time. It's my dream to go to a con one day but I find it exceedingly difficult to make it real. Mainly because in my part of the world, such events are very, very few and far between. And I think they're rather small in scale, which isn't necessarily good - I'd be worried that everyone knows everyone there already and I'd be left out.

Solcte

So glad you've found a home in the fandom! I know the feeling. I've made so many great friends and now have a group of buddies I hang out with regularly. Something I haven't really had before ^!^

And yaaaas, ANE was awesome this year! Did you fursuit? Maybe I saw you around. Glad you had a blast!

Oh yes, I did fursuit! Mostly on Friday/Saturday as Spirit the Fae Otter. Here's a picture of me at the fursuit walk.. here:
My husband was also suiting as Tiktak the Toucan Raptor, another OC of mine (seen on the left of that photo). The weather couldn't have been better for that walk!

Ah, I'm both happy for your sake, and jealous at the same time. It's my dream to go to a con one day but I find it exceedingly difficult to make it real. Mainly because in my part of the world, such events are very, very few and far between. And I think they're rather small in scale, which isn't necessarily good - I'd be worried that everyone knows everyone there already and I'd be left out.

Aw, I'm so sorry this has been so hard for you! Everyone deserves to have a good time. Maybe you could participate more easily in one of the online conventions popping up? It's certainly not the same, but it may be a convenient alternative for you if it's so difficult to find events locally.

Also, I'll be honest, there are folks who commonly meet and hang out together at conventions. But I will say, as a complete newbie and not knowing anyone there - I was still able to connect with people and interact, make friends, etc. I mentally prepared myself in advance to try to be more social and it worked! Also, I got to meet a few people I had only known online briefly - it was really great to put a face to the names! The fandom is a friendly place and you're really in control of what you get out of it. At least, that's been my experience! :)