• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Expesnsive college is expensive

Distorted

So looking at the expenses of my classes this semester, I have concluded that I will be poor forever. I can't pay these ridiculous amounts for an education that might or might not land me a stable job in the future. More aggravating is that my parents are being very difficult in the whole matter. My mother's frivolous spendings and my father's lack of care has put us in a dire spot for money. It probably wouldn't be so bad if we got financial aid, but due to some troubles a year back we've been cock-blocked aid of any kind. I just hope the appeal comes through.

Now I have to start all over on saving money to move out. I find it impossible these days. Devastation. Desperation. Obliteration. Sadness. Anger. Rage. Just utter poopy. I don't need to do this. Not now. I can just run away with my friend and live somewhere on the east coast for a while. Anywhere but here.

But uh, tell me things are working out for you guys. Are you in college? Do you like it? Did it turn you into a douchebag like some people I know?

Tigercougar

Got a degree, career took a different path, 18k to pay off. Im fortunate in that I can afford more than the minimum payment each month.

DevistatedDrone

Poops in toilets.
I've been a douchebag far before going to college :|

Sucks about your situation with Financial Aid. My family is poor to the point where the main reason why I started to go to college was to use FA money on bills and shit. It made me feel dirty at first to accept federal assistant (because I like to pretend that I still have pride), but then I noticed that a number of friends are using their FA money on frivolous shit and drugs, so I feel less bad knowing that I'm using my grant money to survive instead.

I love college. Gives me something to do in between the mass of disappointments I get when I try to get a job that's more than seasonal <20hours-a-week. Still, it's slow-paced and makes me feel like I'm sitting in the back seat during a 2-4 year road trip with 2 month rest stops between semesters.

Also, I don't know exactly what I want to do with my college, if anything. I'm in community college right now, still getting my general education credits out of the way, but after that, there's just too much freedom of choice on what career I want to start schooling for and the fear that there would be little demand for what I choose or the job market would be too competitive as I graduate along-side an innumerable mass of other people with the same aspirations.

With all this and more in mind, I think it's all safe to say that college is bullshit, just like life itself.
#angst

Enwon

Nihilistic Atheist
The college I'm going to attend is notoriously bad with financial aid- the only reason my family can afford it is because they have some good incomes. Even with that, they want me to get scholarships. I mean, we saw the financial aid offer, and it was pretty bad. I almost expected my dad to say, "No, go in-state, this is ridiculous." And after college, there's still grad school, which I'll have to pay for myself.

As for your situation, OP, it definitely sounds very frustrating. You should probably talk to your mother about her spending habits.

Aetius

It's Me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa
Don't forget about the $1000 or so you'll need to spend on books twice a year, which you probably won't be able to sell. Oh the joys of the American profit-driven education system.

This is why amazon is a godsend.

Tigercougar

I'd like to hear from some international users. I know as a whole higher education is far cheaper in other countries, but do you guys also struggle to pay for books and tuition?

RitsukaAo

*side-eyes*
This is why amazon is a godsend.

Say what now? Are you talking about selling them on Amazon after the semester is over? Dude, Amazon has some pretty idiotic fees.

Unless you're talking about buying from Amazon? I wish I could but I don't have any money until several weeks after school starts and with my degree choice, I'm not allowed to wait until then.

I hope OP is luckier than me and can afford to wait on getting school money to pay for books off Amazon.

Avlenna

Shadow of the Night
I plan on joining the military after college to help pay for expenses and perform in a professional band. :)

Demache

I've come to believe- through experience, observation, and some research- that the biggest difference between different types of colleges is admission cost. A course at a community college, for example, is generally the same as its equivalent course at a private university. A certain degree at an in-state college is no more difficult to earn than the same degree at some other school. The teachers and community at a "less selective" school are often no worse than those at a "most selective" school. My point is- if your reason for attending college is to get a good education and have a good "college experience," you wouldn't be doing yourself a disservice if you transferred to a less expensive school.
As far as turning into a douche goes- it didn't turn me into one, but it sort of did that to my friends. All they talk about now is drinking, and all they do when they aren't talking about drinking is play video games. Lame.
That happened to a couple of friends of mine. Huge on talking about drinking all the time and pretty much live that whole "bro" culture, part of a fraternity, etc. Fortunately, it hasn't completely taken them over, so they are still decent people to hang out with, and have enough common sense to realize that I don't really care for that stuff so they generally don't about it with me. Just keep their minds off drinking and I can have pretty good conversations with them. However we are only sophomores, I'm not sure what will happen when senior year is over.

I'm just glad that I can keep a 3.0 GPA, and haven't gotten busted by the cops (they both have, and one is on probation).

Aetius

It's Me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa
Say what now? Are you talking about selling them on Amazon after the semester is over? Dude, Amazon has some pretty idiotic fees.

Unless you're talking about buying from Amazon? I wish I could but I don't have any money until several weeks after school starts and with my degree choice, I'm not allowed to wait until then.

I hope OP is luckier than me and can afford to wait on getting school money to pay for books off Amazon.

More on the buying part. No matter who you sell your books to, you will be fucked three ways.

Furcade

Intermittent Poster
I'd like to hear from some international users. I know as a whole higher education is far cheaper in other countries, but do you guys also struggle to pay for books and tuition?

(Australia)
I'm starting uni in about a month, so I may be in a position to comment.

We have a system called Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP), where the government pays for a substantial chunk of tuition fees for... this might take some explaining.

University entry is merit-based: you apply to courses through a third party and are given a place based on your ATAR (kinda like an SAT score, but it's actually a rank from 99.95-<30 (higher = better) which goes on your performance throughout the year and in final exams) compared to those of other applicants, with some exceptions (medicine requires a decent score in an entrance exam and performance in an interview due to entry being very competitive, for example). So you don't pay to get into university (is that even how it works in the US?).

Anyway, the government allocates a number of places for each "qualified" uni course that it will support (known as Commonwealth Supported Places), so that a Bachelor of Science student will be paying something like $4500 a year in tuition fees, while a Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery student will pay around $9000 a year. Having said that, there is a scheme called HECS (Higher Education Something Something), which resembles student loans in that the student pays 10% of the total tuition fees and has the rest automatically deducted from their salary when they start earning above a certain amount following completion of the course. I think if you pay the full student contribution straight up you get a discount on the course fee.

So, if I was doing a Bachelor of Science at $4000 ish a year (it's a national priority course you see, so the government subsidises it more), and I was hard-pressed for funds, I'd pay $400 a year and pay the rest back when I'm earning more than (something like) $38 000 a year.

Having said that, students who have demonstrated independence (ie took a gap year where they earned a certain amount) or those with combined parental assets (excl. real estate) under a (generous) set amount are eligible for welfare payments (Youth Allowance) which amounts to something like $400 a fortnight if you're living away from home.

Books are still expensive - preliminary googling tells me I'll be up for about $500 as a minimum for the first semester.

But ultimately, I don't yet know if it's incredibly difficult between tuition, books, food and accommodation. From what friends with University-attending siblings tell me, it's not too bad if you can get youth allowance.

EDIT: International Students and those who aren't permanent residents or citizens of Australia or New Zealand have to pay full fees.

Last edited:

BouncyOtter

I'll be in debt forever, and it's going to be awesome! :V

My undergrad is payed off, but combining my grad loans with the loans I'll be having to get for the next four years is going to hurt. I try not to think about it. The good thing is that I am happy with where I am.

TeenageAngst

Banned
Banned
I'm going to be in debt up to my eyeballs but I've always been good at paying off debt, finding work, and managing my finances. The biggest two issues I have with college are the time and money though. Most of my financial management is using debt as leverage, and if all my credit is tied up in student loans, I can't do jack. I can't trade on the margin, can't increase the spending limits on my cards, etc. with a ridiculous outstanding balance. I can still finance a car, but I wouldn't even try right now because I don't have the *time* to work. College eats away my ability to work, save, invest, etc. That's what kills me the most, shelling out precious cash for a 5 month hold on my life and thousands in debt, then rinse and repeat the next semester. I'd rather be out there working, saving, doing.

As for turning me into a douchebag, kind of. College reinforced my previous notion that there are some people just not worth your time.

Dreaming

I feel your pain. I skipped a few semesters due to personal issues, now I'll have to pay up $1,600 odd to get back in

College is free over here, if you go straight from high school to college. After age 19 I think it's all pay-only

powderhound

I'll be in debt forever, and it's going to be awesome! :V

My undergrad is payed off, but combining my grad loans with the loans I'll be having to get for the next four years is going to hurt. I try not to think about it. The good thing is that I am happy with where I am.

Don't believe everything you hear. I think you'll be surprised when you get your first attending paycheck. Just wait.

AshleyAshes

Arcade Snowmew Of Doom
Bout, $7000 a year for college here. Planning another 3 semester 'year' or pair of 8 month semesters over two years to finish off my education and it'll cost about the same.

There's additional costs however, textbooks wern't that bad because I was smart and ordered used/international editions. Really, the book store on your campus is a SCAM and you should NEVER buy anything from there. I mean hell, have you seen the price of soda in that place even? Amazon and other places are the right way to go.

Then I have expenses like cameras and other stuff which while not required, give me a huge bonus in learning camera operations outside of class projects. So I now have two DSLRs, four lenses, a shotgun mic and some rigging like tripods, glidecam, and a figrig. Plus other accessories. And I'll probably be dumping $750 or so on lighting in May, but that's not 'school' it's me freelancing after school. Doing a project where I'm dumping $500 or so into a production even, costumes and the like, but it's an investment in showing off what I can do.

Aleu

Deuces

*coughcoughpiratecoughcoughhack*

-ahem-

Books weren't THAT expensive for me though renting is usually the cheapest option. Some books I actually enjoy I'd purchase and keep.

OP I'd suggest loans and community college then transfer to a university of choice. I was going to use financial aid to help but was turned down because of stupid age things they have and even though I was laid off, I still made more money. Go figure.

Tango

*drinking your brain juices*
Go to a trade school. There will always be a need for plumbers and electricians.

AshleyAshes

Arcade Snowmew Of Doom
Go to a trade school. There will always be a need for plumbers and electricians.

Not only do they make good money, they get budget priority. Breaker box threaten to burn down the house? Guess who's paying for an electrician instead of that new iPhone they were drooling after. ...And guess which electrician is totally getting a new iPhone after this job. :D

Tango

*drinking your brain juices*
Not only do they make good money, they get budget priority. Breaker box threaten to burn down the house? Guess who's paying for an electrician instead of that new iPhone they were drooling after. ...And guess which electrician is totally getting a new iPhone after this job. :D

I know, right? I don't know what they make in Canada but I think the average like $18.50 an hour or so here in the states.

AshleyAshes

Arcade Snowmew Of Doom
I know, right? I don't know what they make in Canada but I think the average like $18.50 an hour or so here in the states.

Higher in Canada, but everything is just more expensive in Canada, minimum wage is like $10.50 in Canada for example. But to counter that we have a higher cost of living through taxes and all that. Either way, established trades people earn very comfortable upper middle class incomes and have great job security.

closepinchicken

well i'm glad to see that i'm not alone in this boat; although i'm unfortunately working 50 hours a week (nights) to pay for college (days) and my apartment. It would have been nice to just go to college and enjoy the experience instead i'm always rushing around and constantly tired.