• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Explaining why I got a tail

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
Seriously though... if you want to get a tail, and wear it around, and explain to people what that means... cool. But man, I wouldn't want to have done all that shit when I was a teen and searching for my identity, and then recall with embarrassment later on in life that it happened. There's a time and a place for that. Meets, Conventions, things like that. But wearing it out in public for no good reason? Seems like - or could be taken as - a cry for attention or something to re-affirm a sense of individuality. Or maybe you just want to wear a tail. I don't fucking know. :-|
Going to agree with you. When I first found the furry fandom, I really liked the idea of collars. It's an interesting look. So I bought a few people collars and wore them a few times while at college and I mostly just regret that now since it was pretty stupid.

Only did it a small handful of times before i went "NOPE" and I hope that those who do remember me remember me for anything but that. But probably not.

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
Much of the advice in this thread is terrible. OP, wear a tail if you like in more casual places (like a park), but avoid school or the city. Saying "because I like it", "It's cool", or "because I want to" after asking to walk around everywhere with a tail will get you grounded. It would be like you wanting to dress up like a goth all thr time. If you want to stay on good terms with your parents, don't be a defiant, parent-hating teenager like some of the posters in this thread. Your parents care about your dignity. But telling them it's just for fun for extremely casual locations will probably be fine.

Bladespark

Some of the people saying to go ahead and do what you like are adults and not teenagers. I frankly think that a parent who grounds their child because the child likes a costume accessory is being an over-restrictive idiot and deserves every bit of push back and rebellion they get. Forcing a kid to preserver their "dignity" is pointless. Nonsensical even. Teenagers don't have dignity. Teenagers do all kinds of stupid crap. One's teenage years is the time to try all those idiotic and silly forms of self-expression.

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
Some of the people saying to go ahead and do what you like are adults and not teenagers. I frankly think that a parent who grounds their child because the child likes a costume accessory is being an over-restrictive idiot and deserves every bit of push back and rebellion they get. Forcing a kid to preserver their "dignity" is pointless. Nonsensical even. Teenagers don't have dignity. Teenagers do all kinds of stupid crap. One's teenage years is the time to try all those idiotic and silly forms of self-expression.
Some parents don't think that way though. Some are kinda irrational. And when they say NO when it's just for fun is frankly rude. But school? The department store? A restaraunt? That's a little overboard. Not very appropriate there. Especially school, where people are very mean as teens and very cliquey.
Some people I've met or seen are very adamant about their passions, to the point where anyone else would be easily embarrassed. It's the people wearing steampunk garb in normal public or gothic Lolita on the subway. It's excessive. It looks like attention-getting behavior. I mean, you don't see people wearing a batman suit on the street outside Halloween, Comicon, or a new movie premiere date, right?

Besides, tails aren't somethig you normally see outside on people. But if the OP wants to wear one, well, they should try to keep it at home and not bring it to school. Again, school is full of hyper-conformist dopes and jerks. I think tails are neat myself, but some places make it a bit too "look at me", so it's hard to find a good place where that doesn't apply.

Last edited:

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
It looks like attention-getting behavior. I mean, you don't see people wearing a batman suit on the street outside Halloween, Comicon, or a new movie premiere date, right?

Besides, tails aren't somethig you normally see outside on people. But if the OP wants to wear one, well, they should try to keep it at home and not bring it to school. Again, school is full of hyper-conformist dopes and jerks. I think tails are neat myself, but some places make it a bit too "look at me", so it's hard to find a good place where that doesn't apply.
Yeah. This is what my collar example came down to. I like them as accessories and not just because furry, but they have odd connotations to them and just seem too attention whorish. I didn't like the questions or the looks so I stopped. Looking back, it all seems just daft.

I don't quite have the look/attire to pull it off, but that's neither here nor there.

OP, if you're going to do this--and by all means why not?--ease yourself and those around you into it.

Zico

No I'm not a teen... I'm not in the position to move out so I'm kinda stuck in my parents house

Littlerock

numb with cold
It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Also, you can ease them into it by starting off with something even wilder; go hardcore thrash/punk for a week or something so that when you ease off into just wearing a tail, it'll pale in comparison and they'll think nothing of it.

:v

mAdDoG93

In the same boat here!! just bought a suit but hiding it in my room. I have only had it a few days and have just shown my bro who's 12 and he liked it (well he's only seen the head and hand paws! Been hiding the fact i'm a furry for years and if I told my rents I haven't got a clue what they would think lol. TBH I think you should sit them down and explain to them in as much detail as you want of what the fandom is ( I guess you could say being a trekkie is somewhat the same, just not frowned upon as much!) and remember they are your parents and they should accept/support you in whatever you do