• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FA Avatar Sizes

How big should FA's icons be?

• 50x50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60x60

• 75x75

• 100x100

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

MistressVixen

hmmm

I'd say, 100x100 and allow anyone to make it smaller. 100x100 would be max size.

Daddyfox

1x1

heh heh

Lili Fox

Re: hmmm

MistressVixen said:
I'd say, 100x100 and allow anyone to make it smaller. 100x100 would be max size.

Actually, to keep everything uniform looking, Yaoi Gallery has this feature where it puts thumbnails up in the friends list of all the pics and they look all the same size,. And when you hover over them, the full size userpic shows up. Maybe we can do something like that!

Keto

lol well 100x100 is winning of course ;P

Cmon, most of us here are artists, we despise limitations, so of course the biggest one was gonna get the lead

Tabuu-Lion

Keto said:

Cmon, most of us here are artists, we despise limitations, so of course the biggest one was gonna get the lead

I suppose there's somewhat of a point in that, since no one wants to degrade and smoosh a good avatar at times. I just look at the comments/replies and see all that wasted space, though e.e

WastedSpace.jpg

Lili Fox

Tabuu-Lion said:
Keto said:

I suppose there's somewhat of a point in that, since no one wants to degrade and smoosh a good avatar at times. I just look at the comments/replies and see all that wasted space, though e.e

WastedSpace.jpg

Yeah, I do agree that looks tacky. If the larger icons are going to be put into use, is there any way to put the comments alongside of the avatars so that gap won't be there?

dave hyena

A wonderous moorhen
50 by 50 is good enough for me.

Though, perhaps one day it might be possible to abandon avatars entirely, and simply have naught but the text of a username.

I have no idea how much processing time or bandwidth that might save, but I'm sure it would be some.

The thing is, alot of furs like having an avatar, makes them easilly recognisable at a glance, as well as showing off an art sample in the process to get others interested in having a look-see... At least that's how I feel about it, others will invariably have their own view on it...

Guppy

I went with 100x100, however, I'm fine with smaller, but I'd love to have the dimentions locked so th at everyone has the same sized avatar, it looks bad when there are 60x60, 50x50, 50x10 and 25x25 avatars all over the place,

Nobod3

I'm gonna be honest on this topic and say I don't care. What I would like to see is some preset avatars for our levels, 'cause I'm really lazy and I don't like trying to actually find a nice avatar...

Like, for Lurker we have the mascot
for FA pup we find a cute* finalized anthro puppy
for FA posthound a finalized anthro hound and so on

*cute...can't define....I guess I mean not ugly?

Lili Fox

Nobod3 said:
I'm gonna be honest on this topic and say I don't care. What I would like to see is some preset avatars for our levels, 'cause I'm really lazy and I don't like trying to actually find a nice avatar...

Like, for Lurker we have the mascot
for FA pup we find a cute* finalized anthro puppy
for FA posthound a finalized anthro hound and so on

*cute...can't define....I guess I mean not ugly?

Sounds cute, yeah, but we were moreso referring to the avatars for our user accounts on the artsite itself as opposed to the message board. :)

Suule said:
Oh great... I wonder what would FA Postwhore look like

*Starts up the stripper music and dances around a pole*

Seriously though, 50 is too small - you cant get enough detail, and 100 is too large - it hogs the screen. 75-80 is about right imho.

theFinalFlight

I voted 100x100, but I think any size over 50x50 is fine. I don't mind 50x50 so much, but it is very difficult to make a quality icon with that sizing (with the exception of those blessed with talent in pixel-art). Let's face it, avatars can be very important in getting a glimpse at an artist, be it their own personal style (if their own art is used), their identity (fursona), or even their thought process (witty phrases/slogans, etc). I can certainly agree with the complaints, though, that 100x100 can produce wasted space if the comment box is kept that way.

However, I'll take what I can get XD

Raven

back a while ago i said 60x60, but now i like 100x100, quite frankly, i dont care what size it is aslong as everyone is forced to have the same size. It looks messy and unorganised if someone has a 100x100 avatar then someone else has like a 20x50 or a 70x70 or somthing. makes it look. bleh.

so i dont care aslong as its required to be the same size. otherwise my watched list looks like poop.

x3 thats all

Almafeta

Can software be used to resize avatars?

If so, perhaps you could give us 100x100 for admin news/announcements and user page, shrunken down to 50x50 (and saved in a seperate directory, so the software is only invoked once per avatar) for fav lists, watchby lists, popups, and comments.

I like the two avatar size idea. A large (100x100) for homepage/forum avatars and a smaller (50x50) for friends lists/watched by/ comments. It gives the user a chance to express themselves where it really counts (on their page) and doesn't take up extra space nor leave unused space on other people's pages.

alumasqrl

i was pleased to see FA implement 100x100 avatars when i came back.
i'd always used 100x100 for thumbnail images in my own site as it gives plenty of room to convey the overall nature of a larger image.

... but after using that larger size for an avatar, i'd have to say that a 60x60 would be plenty for an avatar image. we're not trying to cram a 600 pixel-wide image into a tiny thumbnail. for anyone who uses methods better than "Image>ScaleImage" to create avatars, the size limitation shouldn't mean much.

Metabird

100x100.

It's the size I see used pretty much everywhere else, and it's a bit difficult to make certain things look good in anything smaller.

alumasqrl

thinking more about it
and looking at how the avatars are already being scaled for watchlists,
i think the best method would be to have multiple files as was previously suggested. this would avoid probs with images that are not square or do not scale cleanly with the existing methods.