• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FA Code Update: Project Ferrox

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
Administrator
kawayama said:
i was just wondering if there's any change to how stories/poems are uploaded? as it is now, the only way to upload a story, and have it immediately visible, is to upload a txt file. which, by definition, is pure text.

it would be nice to be able to use bold and italics in stories. [align=center]centering text could also be fun. [/align] not to mention inlining pictures. that could really enhance a text. (we could limit it to pictures stored in the FA database)

is there any way this could be implemented?
As we mentioned a while ago but the thread kind of got buried. But yeah, this is one of those things that we're looking into and trying to improve. :)

Greyblade

You know, I'd settle for just being able to read the submission story without having to download it.
Not that this computer is public access, neither is it out of my sight long enough for someone to raid, but paranoia is paranoia. ._.;

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
Administrator
Greyblade said:
You know, I'd settle for just being able to read the submission story without having to download it.
We're planning on allowing just that in the new version.

offthewall234

I'd like to suggest something for the Catchpa system.

I need to find it again, but there was a system that worked by clicking on three kittens...yes kittens. I'll post the link when I find it.

~Akkeresu

Zippo

Banned
Banned
one thing im in fear of, which im sure will happen, is that when artist groups group up, forming their own groups, it will be decided upon in which class they are at. if you are concidered popular, then you belong in a group of high ranks, if your pretty much unknown like myself, i will be denied into such groups, because im not of their class/caliber. To me, this only seprates the winning and loosing herds, making it wasier to ignore the junk and focas on the good stuff, which flatout sucks.
I really dont know who's smart idea this was to have these groups, as I guess this is concidered the golden age of FA, as everyone is on equal footing as far as individuality goes, but when this goes live, toss the evenness into the recyclebin. I can tell you right now how fustrating it will bem but like one voice matters, esp not when this comes into place. I knwo gorups sound good and all right now as a great new extension, but you also got to look at the drawbacks on the more 'unfortunate' users that havent gained the popularity to be in the what will be the better parts of the site.

-Z

M

missdavies

Yes, that's what I'm eager for @_@ I've been dying without that search engine. What's the latest release date looking like?

A

Ahkahna

Zippo said:
one thing im in fear of, which im sure will happen, is that when artist groups group up, forming their own groups, it will be decided upon in which class they are at. if you are concidered popular, then you belong in a group of high ranks, if your pretty much unknown like myself, i will be denied into such groups, because im not of their class/caliber. To me, this only seprates the winning and loosing herds, making it wasier to ignore the junk and focas on the good stuff, which flatout sucks.
I really dont know who's smart idea this was to have these groups, as I guess this is concidered the golden age of FA, as everyone is on equal footing as far as individuality goes, but when this goes live, toss the evenness into the recyclebin. I can tell you right now how fustrating it will bem but like one voice matters, esp not when this comes into place. I knwo gorups sound good and all right now as a great new extension, but you also got to look at the drawbacks on the more 'unfortunate' users that havent gained the popularity to be in the what will be the better parts of the site.

-Z

I'll have to agree with you on that.
I mean, it seems like a good idea but I do feel that people would be 'put out' by such an option. One could say "deal with it and make your own group" but even then, it's just unfair.

uncia2000

Ahkahna said:
Zippo said:
I knwo gorups sound good and all right now as a great new extension, but you also got to look at the drawbacks on the more 'unfortunate' users that havent gained the popularity to be in the what will be the better parts of the site.

-Z

Ah... a good thread to resurrect, perhaps.

Could play that either way, I'm sure: groups can be equally useful on a more sociable footing and/or for our "sketchier" community members. :)
Not everyone's here to be considered only on their merits as an "elite artist", surely?

"Fairness" is an awkward concept to implement well, though, it must be said...

A

Ahkahna

uncia2000 said:
Ahkahna said:
Zippo said:
I knwo gorups sound good and all right now as a great new extension, but you also got to look at the drawbacks on the more 'unfortunate' users that havent gained the popularity to be in the what will be the better parts of the site.

-Z

Ah... a good thread to resurrect, perhaps.

Could play that either way, I'm sure: groups can be equally useful on a more sociable footing and/or for our "sketchier" community members. :)
Not everyone's here to be considered only on their merits as an "elite artist", surely?

"Fairness" is an awkward concept to implement well, though, it must be said...

That's also a good point. Not everyone can get fair treatment, and if there is concern about being rejected from a goup there will be the option to make their own.

It's hit or miss. I wouldn't mind seeing groups, I wouldn't mind making a group, but I'd be concerned that people would feel left out, which means I would be one of those people who accepted everyone XD

uncia2000

Ahkahna said:
That's also a good point. Not everyone can get fair treatment, and if there is concern about being rejected from a goup there will be the option to make their own.

It's hit or miss. I wouldn't mind seeing groups, I wouldn't mind making a group, but I'd be concerned that people would feel left out, which means I would be one of those people who accepted everyone XD

*smiles and purrs to that*

Does that presume we should encourage the concept of private/closed groups, though?
There are various ways to shift the balance, such as only listing the public groups and not permitting a change to private... There's a lot that obviously depends on the implementation and scope of "groups", of course.

A

Ahkahna

uncia2000 said:
Ahkahna said:

*smiles and purrs to that*

Does that presume we should encourage the concept of private/closed groups, though?
There are various ways to shift the balance, such as only listing the public groups and not permitting a change to private... There's a lot that obviously depends on the implementation and scope of "groups", of course.

How would the private or closed groups work? Would artwork they post be viewable to the community? Would commentary be allowed by people outside that group? Or would it be a strict setting that allows only group members to view, comment and favorite? (if there's something about this already, could I be directed to it? X3)

uncia2000

Ahkahna said:
How would the private or closed groups work? Would artwork they post be viewable to the community? Would commentary be allowed by people outside that group? Or would it be a strict setting that allows only group members to view, comment and favorite? (if there's something about this already, could I be directed to it? X3)

Oh... so many questions. Good ones, though.
Yeah, I was hoping to get "taskforces" set up to handle such various matters as the scoping for and implementation of groups. Our org structure wasn't going to fly with that before and I'm still not sure whether it can.

Personally, I'm all in favor of keeping things as open as possible. If people wish to swap submissions in private, there is probably a place for that in a community even though I'd prefer that full works be shared. Could perhaps be encouraged by not granting the full range of functions (particularly +favs?) to those or possibly pulling back comments to the group (noticeboard) level: more a sort of "pass it around" exercise than a permanent contribution to the community as a whole...
There is the obvious hook, though, that a final version of a work-in-progress (or any other uploaded item) could be promoted "out" of that private group following ongoing thoughts/discussion/reworking there. That would be a positive use of such a "private first" approach, I think.
Public groups would be more of a direct hook into the public submissions/main site submissions with the extra functionality of that group noticeboard and any other adds.
I was hoping to see a lot more focused discussion on this, of course.

02c, only, fwiw...

shy

I have always liked the community idea, such as seen on DA in their communities.

I also like the idea of optional closed-membership, and invitation-only groups [or I should say, memberships are approved by the mod(s) of the community and said mods have the ability to kick and ban beligerant users]. This is very useful for groups who are engaging in, say, illustrated RP sessions and don't want outside commentary. It is also very useful when people "get beligerant or otherwise un-socialble". There will need to be some sort of ability to moderate a group, I see that much.

Now whether or not non group members can/can't actually /see/ the submissions being made, ect, I don't have an opinion on. I'm not a coder so I don't know how hairy of a task that would be.

And then comes the part where I talk about my feelings. o/~feeliinnngss ~o

You know... If you don't like that a group is closed, or that you are rejected (or ejected for whatever reason)... Too bad, I say. Go find another one. I am sure there will be plenty, from Road Rovers RP groups to group-shares of "displacer wolves w/ 3ft summer sausages sausaging school busses". Chances are if you take that much offense to the fact that you aren't allowed in a group, you wouldn't have got along well with the people inside anyway. Sorry, but cliques exist and If you are so emotionally fragile that you cannot handle seeing a party you aren't invited to then that's your problem. I can pretty well assume there will be many more public groups than private ones anyway.

And [expletive, expletive deleted] who [expletive] cares about who is POPULAR or not? Really. Who freaking cares. I hope people do not spend their time thinking about this sort of thing, but I know they do. Gee [expletive] whiz. GO HAVE FUN ON THE INTERNET ALREADY.

LOL point: groups good, private groups good. *thumbs up*

kyubi_youma

fox with too many worries
oohoohooh speaking of da is there gonna be a shout box type thing yah know like on da http://shout.deviantart.com/popup
<<is a big fan of da's sb... its fun^_^

N3X15

kyubi_youma said:
oohoohooh speaking of da is there gonna be a shout box type thing yah know like on da http://shout.deviantart.com/popup
<<is a big fan of da's sb... its fun^_^

Well... If it doesn't create a hueg load on the database and server (500 people all posting at one time o_O;), it might be something to look into.

Twile

Ahkahna said:

Obviously I'm not an admin or coder, but if I had my way...

I think I would actually keep groups somewhat minimal. I haven't used groups on other sites, so I don't know what all they could do, but if I were designing them they'd mostly have an open, visible membership list and a main page from which people can talk back and forth. Not too different from a forum really, people could post comments, have discussions, and embed images and such in their posts. Groups would all be listed so you could go through and check off all the ones which interest you. Group messages (comments, new users, etc) would be separated from the main messages so you could, for example, prioritize responding to comments and watches for *you* before doing that to more generic ones in the group.

With all that said and done you might wonder what a group would be useful for. Simply put it would allow like-minded individuals on FA to find each other and post in an area where they're naturally isolated from people who don't care for what's being posted. Currently to find users who like the same things as you, you have to do multi-step solutions such as searching for a certain type of art, looking at the artists who draw it, looking at the favorites of the artists, looking at the watchers and watchees of the artists, etc etc, just to find people with a common interest. With groups... say you have a fetish group, or a Dragoneer fan art group, or a jazz group, or a black and white photography group, or whatever else you can think up. You'd find it, join it, meet new people with similar interests (yay, new friends) and get to share related artstuffs.

I wouldn't make exclusive groups possible in any way, shape, or form--the worst that could happen is somebody could be banned from commenting in a group, as they can be banned from commenting on a userpage, if they're clearly not in the spirit of the group and just there to harass users for their interests. No, I wouldn't have things exclusive or private, because I feel there are already so many ways to do that. Notes are private. IM programs and email are private. Obviously a lot of popular artists are already friends with each other, they already have their own art and friend circles, do private OC sessions, etc. There's no reason to extend this pre-existing situation (which, on the part of your everyday talent-free fur, is quite frustrating) to groups and make things like "__(Artist name)___'s Digimon Fan art group [Invitation only][Membership list hidden]". While some would like the exclusivity, I'm sure they've been making do before now, and probably have their own groups in some other form. Were such a group to exist, a lot of people would be bummed out because they might see it and really want to be in it, but not be able to join, request an invite, or even see who's in. Or if they could see who's in, they might try to make friends with someone for the primary purpose of hoping they "leak" art from the group... it'd just be messy and result in even more elitism and drama. And if groups were unlisted, then people would wonder what sorts of things they were missing out on. People here don't like missing art they might like, which is why a number of people now are very upset that FA isn't telling them when artists they're watching submit new art--they don't want to miss out. FA is supposed to be an art appreciation community, hence why we've got comments and favorites and watching and stuff. I'd hate to see it polluted with a higher degree of exclusivity, because in the end it only really benefits a small number of users with a dying urge to share things in private--users who will do so through other means anyway if FA doesn't provide it for them.

kyubi_youma

fox with too many worries
N3X15 said:
Well... If it doesn't create a hueg load on the database and server (500 people all posting at one time o_O;), it might be something to look into.

ooh yay

A

Ahkahna

uncia2000 said:
Ahkahna said:

Oh... so many questions. Good ones, though.
Yeah, I was hoping to get "taskforces" set up to handle such various matters as the scoping for and implementation of groups. Our org structure wasn't going to fly with that before and I'm still not sure whether it can.

Personally, I'm all in favor of keeping things as open as possible. If people wish to swap submissions in private, there is probably a place for that in a community even though I'd prefer that full works be shared. Could perhaps be encouraged by not granting the full range of functions (particularly +favs?) to those or possibly pulling back comments to the group (noticeboard) level: more a sort of "pass it around" exercise than a permanent contribution to the community as a whole...
There is the obvious hook, though, that a final version of a work-in-progress (or any other uploaded item) could be promoted "out" of that private group following ongoing thoughts/discussion/reworking there. That would be a positive use of such a "private first" approach, I think.
Public groups would be more of a direct hook into the public submissions/main site submissions with the extra functionality of that group noticeboard and any other adds.
I was hoping to see a lot more focused discussion on this, of course.

02c, only, fwiw...

If possible, it could be set up much like a livejournal Community where users have the ability to create a community and set moderators on their own 'groups'.

1• If they want an open club/community then it could be an auto join and no one would need to approve anyone else, they'd be able to post as soon as they join. All comments, and favorites could be made by members and non members of that community.
2• If they want it an open to public view yet mod accepted deal, then users could select the 'join club' and a message would state something along the lines of "You have selected to join 'Such and Such' community which is Community Mod approved. You will get a message in your notes when you've been accepted." All comments, and favorites could be made by members and non members of this community if the mod selects it to be so.
3• If it's a closed community, users can select to join and the same would be stated above. However, this would be considered a private group, so acceptance would be on a case by case or invite. The mod could make it so works are published to view or private view. Only members of the community could favorite or comment on pieces within the club.

When I think more on this (busy cleaning house) I'll edit this.

capthavoc123

Master of Disaster
I know somebody has already asked this, but is there any word on a date for the new format?

I only ask because I'm getting kind of frustrated with finding out that people have been removed from my watchlist, even though they're still listed in the control panel.

kadath062

I definintely can't wait for the new FA. It definitely would benefit from those improvements! :)

One thing I have to ask Dragoneer - and I'm sorry if this has been asked already:

Will our watches, watchers, submissions, favourites, comments, notes, journals, pageviews, etc. be transferred to the new FA, or will they be lost? I know it would be a royal pain in the arse to go back and reupload all my old art and rewatch all my favourite artists and refave their work >.>

uncia2000

kadath062 said:
Will our watches, watchers, submissions, favourites, comments, notes, journals, pageviews, etc. be transferred to the new FA, or will they be lost? I know it would be a royal pain in the arse to go back and reupload all my old art and rewatch all my favourite artists and refave their work >.>

All of these should be readily transferable, I'd hope. Nothing overly-complex in those, even if it is rather a large quantity of data.
Will certainly be nudging totally a total transfer, anyhow.

kadath062

I should hope they do go through. It'd be such a pain to rewatch/fav everything, not to mention it'd probably cause a huge spike in traffic when EVERYBODY tries to get everything back to the way it was. :X

Of course, at the rate submissions keep disappearing into "inbox oblivion" at this point, I dunno if it'd even matter :<

Any idea if the invisible inbox submissions problem will be resolved soon...if ever? I've decided to stop posting art until it is fixed because my pics never show up in anybody's inboxes, and nobody else's ever show up in mine :/