• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FA Current Status : was The SQL Holocaust [UPDATED]

shinmew

I hope this does not drive too many artist away. It is driving me up the wall as it is. The only things that keeps me here are the open-minded ppl. Everywhere else I go either will not let me post ALL my work I want to post, or the ppl there are closed-minded $%#holes.

uncia2000

as of Monday 6th March: 1400 EST

Jheryn is working on the live system at present, hence system is "unavailable" (was previously shown as "403 - Forbidden" error messages).

Update to follow... Please feel free to join in on the forum and/or vent frustration re. the ongoing service problems. We are working on those.

Thank you, once again, for your patience and hope to have the community working properly again for y'all in due course.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
Administrator
KaputOtter said:
Keep up the good work, you guys.

You know you will always have my loyalty and support, 100%. :)
Well, we decided to roll over to v3 in an unfinished state. We'd rather introduce some potential new bugs but have a FAST, working site....

We'll be doing some cleanup and tweaking on it over the next few days. <3 Crypto, TOS and J.

Dragoneer said:
Well, we decided to roll over to v3 in an unfinished state. We'd rather introduce some potential new bugs but have a FAST, working site....
Don't worry, we'll be here to whin... er notify you of them. :p Though that decision sounds rather familiar and ominous(hopefully nothing).

Anyhow thank you guys for putting up with us commoners whom are going through withdrawal syndromes. And of course thanks for working on the site(and letting us know what's happening). <3

Xax

That went well.

and now quoting myself from the IRC:
<xax> p.s., the site is still not W3C compliant and it's /certainly/ not very accessible, and also the css is horribly confusing and you shouldn't use tables (much less NESTED tables) for layout purposes.

I'll follow that up with "but it's better than Sheezy ver3 because you don't seem to have a javascript boner"

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Right.

You think that because this is a community style image gallery.

http://www.arshesnei.weyrspace.co.uk/screenshots/yayfav3launchc.jpg

Wouldn't have been looked over?

m2pt5

Might I suggest that all subpages of the site be redirected to the current "we're working on it" main page? I only have my message console page bookmarked, and it comes up with a 404.

Daiki

At least I have Dostoyevsky to occupy my time. Not that that's really any better, I suppose. While his Notes From Underground is a good read, it is somewhat of a depressing book; what should one suspect when reading an author who's sole subject is on human misery?

Nightdancer

I hope that the pictures aren't stored in the database as well, but that would explain why it takes the server so long to built up a page.
Normally only the location/link is stored in the php-database, because to sored the hole picture makes the database slow (it isn't designed to do this efficiently).
Normally the webserver gives the pictures out, because it is built to give files out quickly, not the database itself.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
Administrator
Nightdancer said:
I hope that the pictures aren't stored in the database as well, but that would explain why it takes the server so long to built up a page.
Normally only the location/link is stored in the php-database, because to sored the hole picture makes the database slow (it isn't designed to do this efficiently).
Normally the webserver gives the pictures out, because it is built to give files out quickly, not the database itself.
Crypto thinks he may have found one of the reasons for the primary slowdown. We'll see. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Vgm22

Furry/Scalie Of Mystery
I just want to thank you guys for fighting the good fight, to get FA running smoothly. To give us a nice community. Keep up the good work. I'm with you a 100% as well.

moredena

Wahoo?

Well, I am glad you're working on it. :)

Even if I am frustrated at the constant lag and backups.

Rock on guys!

ITOMIC

Grrr. I was just getting used to the long-ass page loads also.

Oh well... :cry:

(lol - My sig will never get old)

yak

Site Developer
Staff member
Administrator
ITOMIC said:
(lol - My sig will never get old)
Start searching for another... :) This one will get old really fast... I have that feeling.

Arcturus

Banned
Banned
thorndraco said:
Is there anyone working on getting this site W3C compliant and cleaning up the HTML and CSS?

You wish ;)

Waccoon

Since I'm in-between projects at the moment, I'd be willing to lend a hand with CSS and JS. I'm sure you guys have your hands full with PHP at the moment. :wink:

One thing in particular that drives me nuts is a problem in the JavaScript that controls the ToolTip. If you install the "Web Developer" extension for Firefox, it'll loudy shout the problem, belching thousands of errors with every twitch of the mouse.

Code:
if(ns){doc = "document."; sty = ""}
if(ie){doc = "document.all."; sty = ".style"}

function MoveToolTip(layerName, FromTop, FromLeft, e) {
	if (ie) {
		eval(doc + layerName + sty + ".top = "  + (eval(FromTop) + document.body.scrollTop))
	}
	if (ns) {
		eval(doc + layerName + sty + ".top = "  +  eval(FromTop))
	}
	eval(doc + layerName + sty + ".left = " + (eval(FromLeft) + 15))
}

"doc" and "sty" may be global variables here, but they are defined only if a browser tests as either IE or NS. Also, some browsers won't treat them as globals unless they are explicitly declared with "var". I think Firefox does this, and treats them as locals, which generates the errors.

It's also not required to do so much content replacement if you use "item.style.display = ('block' || 'none')", but that would require some DOM-compliant additions.

Nightdancer: I hope that the pictures aren't stored in the database as well, but that would explain why it takes the server so long to built up a page.
Not likely, as it seems PHP is taking up the largest chunk of execution time, not SQL queries. I sure hope FurAffinity uses a template engine that supports caching.

What I've been trying to figure out is why FA even needs the JS it uses... everything the site does doesn't seem to in any way neseccitate JS. I haven't even tested to see if the site still works correctly with Java turned off yet.

Waccoon

JavaScript is needed for the same reason as every other InterWebThingy technology: redundant eye candy. :wink: