• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FA Down Again?

uncia

AngelOD said:
While I agree with Dakimov and Takara here, I have to say that one of the things I respect the most about FA, is the attitude that seems to be with some or all of the admins, in that even though it's a free service, there is still a certain service level that should be upheld, and they work to ensure that this level is reached.
*nodnods*. All told, from February/March through October/November this year has been pretty good and the growth in the community has reflected that. The last month or so has been somewhat problematic as FA scales up yet again, but compared with the problems there were this time last year, hopefully will be moving back in the right direction relatively quickly.

Early Sunday morning is, unfortunately, usually not a good time to get things fixed, especially if it's a non-trivial matter.

Dakimov said:
The only bad thing is....FA needs to be up and running on order for me to donate. Sort of a catch-22. :0)
Good try, Dakimov! The link is here (the typo proves it's genuine ;))
Donations ain't the be-all and end-all, but they sure do help. Thanks in advance for any and all such. :)

Regards (and fingers crossed will be back up and running in the not-too-distant future),
d./uncia

Dakimov

Ceceil Felias said:
What we need is someone who's able to get ahold of the people in charge of the server maintenance and ask them what's going on. We also need someone who can get ahold of the admins IRL, because I haven't seen a bit of them on the forums all day. Are they even aware the servers went down entirely? o.o

The admins are normally very good about responding, but I'm afraid the holiday weekend may have something to do with it. With schools being on break, and many businesses closing for several days and people taking time off. For example, my last day at work was Friday, and I don't go back until next Thursday.
I have a feeling if it wasn't a MAJOR holiday weekend we would have heard from the admins by now
uncia said:
Donations ain't the be-all and end-all, but they sure do help. Thanks in advance for any and all such. :)

Thanks Uncia! :0) *wag* But I dont pay online, and the info I need is saved in a PM on FA..... :0P *sigh*

uncia

Dakimov said:
I have a feeling if it wasn't a MAJOR holiday weekend we would have heard from the admins by now
Tech side was around immediately after the lengthy (9 hour) forum outage last night, just as things were deteriorating again on the mainsite, but no news since then, afaik.

Dakimov

uncia said:
Dakimov said:
Tech side was around immediately after the lengthy (9 hour) forum outage last night, just as things were deteriorating again on the mainsite, but no news since then, afaik.

I appreciate greatly what the FA techs do, and I certainly don't know what is going on behind the scenes (and I'll be the firs to admit I'm not the most technical person out there)...but I know that there are a lot of variables, and being a major holiday weekend is just bound to throw in a few more 'variables' that might not be there otherwise.
I have much faith in the techs. :0)
Mainly because I know they know a heck of a lot more than I do about it. X0D

uncia

Dakimov said:
Thanks Uncia! :0) *wag* But I dont pay online, and the info I need is saved in a PM on FA..... :0P *sigh*
*g*. There always has to be one. ;)
'Tis all good stuff, however that's sent through: not paying online will save on Amazon's relatively moderate fees, too. If the mainsite doesn't come back quickly enough, will just have to prod yak to query the database, I guess. Or something like that... *ducks* ^^

(aside: If anyone (over 18 - catch-all even for the clean board, alas) is getting withdrawal symptoms already, fchan is just back online again following their server move - for those who ain't opposed to that on moral grounds or somesuch).

Thanks again,
David.

KMakato

There is no spoon
uncia said:
(aside: If anyone (over 18 - catch-all even for the clean board, alas) is getting withdrawal symptoms already, fchan is just back online again following their server move - for those who ain't opposed to that on moral grounds or somesuch).

heh, Xenofur(sp?) over there gave a nice 2-3 day expected wait, and was up in a day. I lol'd to say the least 8)

Elliey-sama said:
Takara_kitsune said:
I've got no intent to leave. ^^; Yes, the interruptions suck. A lot. But... I like the community here. One of the few places I don't have to hide my true self. Not to suggest that the community here doesn't have some issues of it's own... but seriously, it's my Internet-home.

And I've only been coming here since May... for me to declare it my Internet-home so fast... well, that means something! ^^;

Now... as far as the possibilities with the actual server... if it IS down, and has to be approached physically for repair... then I can almost guarantee, no FA for Christmas. ;_; As far as I can determine, a lot of folks aren't working Monday... and those working in server facilities are no exception... that's rather disappointing. Too bad there isn't an easy way to fix things remotely if they're turned off. Can't really remotely access what doesn't have power, can you? ^^;

No i can't access it neither and its the emphasis that i get when this happens very often he he, and Yes dear your right, i guess i sometimes forget that emotion, to feel welcomed, to feel accepted and to feel comfortable there and not to mention the community must mean you have a lot of friends there or have a lot of people you respect and love their art but i guess is much about the gathering of people that are just like you, to bad i am just an apathetic being that never did seemed to fit anywhere, even here where i thought i would because i was my own person but oh well over a year and yet i guess its just plain Karma that is my only factor.

Hey, I didn't intend any kind of offense, really. ^^; Actually, I was truly only saying I had no intent to leave. ^^; I'm mostly only on FA for the art... and I make a few friends along the way. I don't have much of a life offline, though... so therein lies the reasoning I won't leave. I'm online enough that I'm not just going to stop coming... in fact, I'm liable to check on FA out of habit. I even have a hard time not doing that in public places. (Is it luck, or is it a bad thing that I am never without wireless internet access...?)

Anyway... I'm sure you fit in here, too. I made friends here and I don't even post anything... I mostly favorite art, then comment on it... sometimes put a watch on someone... my talents are in technical skills rather than artistic skills. So... point being... I think there's a place for everyone on FA. Well... if you're a furry, that is. ^^; Or a furry in denial... know a few of those, too... ^^;

robomilk

fruit bat at large
Hrrrrm.... this downtime is really bugging me. Might go on another website and post up all my stuff there, just for backup - got no intent on leaving what is such a lovely community (when they can be arsed.)

I know the site is growing quickly and all, but maybe we're getting problems like this because they're trying to upgrade everything too quickly? Slow down a bit, jeez.

uncia

KMakato said:
uncia said:
heh, Xenofur(sp?) over there gave a nice 2-3 day expected wait, and was up in a day. I lol'd to say the least 8)
Started as 24 hours, IIRC, was revised to an additional 2-3 days, then delivered in one... Good for them.
There's a lesson in there somewhere, I'm sure, when it comes to setting targets. :)

Have just managed to check via admin., btw: there's no-one tech side around at present, but messages have been left.

marmelmm

Hat...'Stache...Legend.
Welp, given the long holiday weekend, I'm not expecting FA to be back up until Wed. at the earliest, myself.

So, go relax and do something else. I plan to! :D

-MMM-

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
Aw well. I had a couple of festive arts to share, but I guess not. :( Will keep checking though.

Ceceil Felias

Never have I seen fail so huge
uncia said:
Have just managed to check via admin., btw: there's no-one tech side around at present, but messages have been left.
Hurrah! o/ Some level of progress, however minor, is good.

Here's hoping the tech personnel will be able to look into it in the morning.

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
Charrio said:
Hey all FA is down again i think, it definitely wont load up for me, been trying for a bit now

yeah, its kind of down for me too. They'll probably post something bout it

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
My sincere apologies that no updates have been posted up to this time.

Please see http://www.furaffinityforums.net/showthread.php?tid=15637 for the details.

sevenstarfire

Yep, down for me too :) But wouldn't it be nice to think of it not like a problem or an inconvenience? It could be very well that all these downtimes may have to do with the FA staff upgrading the server to make it better for all of us, but of course we won't actually know until the staff tells us what's going on. I don't mind waiting though, it gives me time to draw more arts to post when it's up anyway =^_^=

Lt_Havoc

SPADS Commander
Great, somone sended you The Ping of Death.......

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
UPDATE

Please see http://www.furaffinityforums.net/showthread.php?tid=15637 for the details.

rednec0

yep, sounds like the typical elitist /b/tard who hates furs is behind the whole grand scheme of things again...and right around the christmas too. $10 says their gift is "merry christmas furfags" or something around those lines. hope thye get an inoperable malignant tumor around the base of their spine >:[

ya people need an angry faic emote btw

Lt_Havoc

SPADS Commander
I read the update!

uncia

Hey; I'd've carried that forward to the new page, if no-one else did.... ;)
OK, I'm slow again... -v-

Thanks, yak. ^^
d.

yak said:
UPDATE

marmelmm

Hat...'Stache...Legend.
yak said:

Thanks for the update! :D

-MMM-

T

TakeWalker

I had no idea you could donate to FA through Amazon! That's so cool!

Now, to get monies. Thanks for the link, Uncia!

MMind

The one thing that I would like to do, is make a donation to FA... I haven't made a donation yet (feels ashamed :( ), but there are two things that bothers me.... I live a whole country away, and have no idea on how to donate to FA from our currency to dollars... Also I do not own a a credit card (Don't want one, to much trouble :p), so making a donation using Amazon isn't going to work..... Isn't there a place were I can maybe find a direct account that I can pay the donation to?
The reason why I ask this, is because I feel partly responsible for not making a donation to a site that has given me so much... that has made a little place for me were I can breath and be who I would like to be. FA has given me new friends, and maybe a new life partner... I feel ashamed that I haven't shown my gratitude towards all the admins and techs out there that's busting there furry buts off to keep FA alive. I can understand that it must be one hell of a job to try and keep a server running on only donations... as well as keep up with the demands that comes with the server. Thank you admins and all the technicians, and to whom ever else help to keep FA up and running, for giving me and all the other furies a place were we can be who we want to be....
I really hope that I don't bother anyone for posting something like this here, but I feel that it fits well with the situation...
If any of the admins, or mods, or whom ever has the info on were I can make the donation to, can you please PM them to me, if it's not to much trouble.
Thanx again for everything, and I hope that you can get the server back up.... *fingers crossed*

uncia

TakeWalker said:
uncia said:
I had no idea you could donate to FA through Amazon! That's so cool!
*g*. That's just the link from the donation button, but how many people click on donation buttons? :eek: ;)

MMind said:
The one thing that I would like to do, is make a donation to FA... I haven't made a donation yet (feels ashamed :( ), but there are two things that bothers me.... I live a whole country away, and have no idea on how to donate to FA from our currency to dollars... Also I do not own a a credit card (Don't want one, to much trouble :p), so making a donation using Amazon isn't going to work..... Isn't there a place were I can maybe find a direct account that I can pay the donation to?
Hiya MMind! :)
You're in the 99%+ majority, but that's the way it usually goes. And I know and fully understand that many people simply aren't in the position to be able to donate.

I'm unsure about anything currently set up for direct account transfers, unfortunately, save that internationally those are normally somewhat expensive to carry out. Preyfar was previously able to accept money orders, but with any luck he might have both those methods open if possible. Or else have trustworthy individuals in those countries who can pass on the payment.
If you could please drop him a PM, that would probably be best. And much appreciated on that!

MMind said:
The reason why I ask this, is because I feel partly responsible for not making a donation to a site that has given me so much... that has made a little place for me were I can breath and be who I would like to be. FA has given me new friends, and maybe a new life partner...
*yay*. Very easy to "take FA for granted", I guess, and thank you for sharing all that. Trusting things might turn out for the best there. *claws crossed* :)

Kindest regards,
David.