• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FA Down Again?

nightmask

So looks like the holiday grinches are showing their tails again, since cowards like that never show their faces, demonstrating that all they can do is destroy and commit negative acts because they're too lazy and cowardly to commit themselves to things that make things better for others and do constructive, positive things.

uncia

nightmask said:
So looks like the holiday grinches are showing their tails again, since cowards like that never show their faces, demonstrating that all they can do is destroy and commit negative acts because they're too lazy and cowardly to commit themselves to things that make things better for others and do constructive, positive things.
Aye, that it is. Thankfully our community is smart enough not to rise to the bait and give them the pleasure of seeing any meltdown and mass drama here. (Cheers, y'all).

Tech-side is still working on matters now.
d.

=====

<clip> from previous page, for general ref., since they're back online sooner than expected.
uncia said:
(aside: If anyone (over 18 - catch-all even for the clean board, alas) is getting withdrawal symptoms already, fchan is just back online again following their server move - for those who ain't opposed to that on moral grounds or somesuch).

Lt_Havoc

SPADS Commander
uncia said:
nightmask said:
Aye, that it is. Thankfully our community is smart enough not to rise to the bait and give them the pleasure of seeing any meltdown and mass drama here. (Cheers, y'all).

Tech-side is still working on matters now.
d.

=====

<clip> from previous page, for general ref., since they're back online sooner than expected.
uncia said:
(aside: If anyone (over 18 - catch-all even for the clean board, alas) is getting withdrawal symptoms already, fchan is just back online again following their server move - for those who ain't opposed to that on moral grounds or somesuch).
What Tech side? Its friking sunday and 2 days before chistmas, there isnt anyone working today in that business. They are all on vecation until next year, so no FA until 5th 2008

KMakato

There is no spoon
You never know though, it could be one of those places with someone "on call" if the host has "high-priority" clients... possible??? *rubs paws nervously*

coffinberry

Ceceil Felias said:
I'm assuming the servers got completely knocked out, possibly by a power outage or something. The coders as far as I can tell haven't even been able to switch it over to the temporarily-down notice like most other times.

last time there was an outage it was around a major holiday. i don't think it was a power outage.

Andromalius

Last night when I tried getting in, I couldn't even get in the forum. Something about a MySLQ error.

Midnightwolf

Well I have had some weird stuff happen. Like it lets me to the site, but everytime I go there it is logging me in as someone else. Its showing me how many new watches, submissions, favs, ect. they have, and it wont let me log out so that "I" I can sign in. Is anyone else haveing this going on, cuz its freakin me out.

This is unfortunate... I had suspected the worst when it went down, but... large UDP packets? >.>

When I had said earlier, "I hope this isn't some kind of terrible Christmas present" or something like that, I was hoping it wasn't what it is. Of course, that explains why the data server was inaccessible, too... I'm wondering why they went through such trouble. Although... sad part is, easier to set up an army of zombie terminals and create a DDoS attack than it is to fix it. Worst part of this is, the attack could even be using the computers of actual FA users for said DDoS attack. So... I guess... everyone, remember to use proper protection... I mean! Use a firewall! ^^; (Had to say something dumb to lighten the mood. ^^; )

Actually, chances are high some of the zombies belong to the attacker(s). Anyway... I'm left wondering if dissecting the attack will actually come up with a solution... but... I guess it won't really. >.> I still question why one would bother attacking the same place so many times, though. Do we harm them in any way...? Then... why harm us?

Dakimov

Takara_kitsune said:
I still question why one would bother attacking the same place so many times, though. Do we harm them in any way...? Then... why harm us?

Because those type of folks have no life - so they borrow ours so they have something to do :0P ....unfortunately.

Bladewing

Has an Affinity for Absurdity
While I realize this is the favorite community of all here, or at least most of you... take a second and remember, FA is still young! It's growing exponentially, probably well past expectations. It's two days before Christmas Day, but Yak is still giving us info. I'd say that's pretty damn responsible. He could be sitting down with his feet up saying "screw FA this is my Christmas, they can wait till the 27th" but he's not.

I don't think some of you realize how helpless someone feels when they have to be in the position these people are. They can't just walk to the server room and give it a proverbial kick. All they can do is call. Do you honestly think it's FA's fault no one is there at their server's company? IT'S CHRISTMAS!

I think it's awfully unfair of you to sit around and say "work for me the day before Christmas cause I want my site." If you're not 100% honestly willing to do the same, don't expect it of them. I understand it's frustrating that a holiday can interfere with getting things done. But it takes a special kind of person to put down their own time and take up the reins ON A HOLIDAY. This is considered a holiday weekend, remember that.

This is the time of year when everyone has a chance to go online all at once. Ever think maybe FA wasn't prepared for it. Before you get irritable, or call anyone involved irresponsible, just take a second and think about what you said. It's two days before Christmas.

Appreciate what you have when it's there, and don't get so angry when it's gone. It's only temporary. Take a break from FA. Chill here in the forums. Or something. But don't start assigning blame. Just remember it's a holiday, okay? Not much happens at a normal pace this time of year.

have a Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday, and don't let the little stuff get you down.

*hugs*

Bladewing

Lt_Havoc

SPADS Commander
They send the Ping of Death just for fun. Its well known that people outside the fandom dosent like "furries" at all and that they are something sick and veile that has to be reased or something. Its the current tred to hate furries like to hate republicans or something.

Anyway, they do it for fun, thats all the reason they need. They want to harras us and post it on other forums like "zOMG!!! We killz teh FA server!! We are l33t! lolz!! Fucking fur fags yiff in hell!" etc.

Our presentce and existans is enough reason for them to attck the larges furry communty site over and over again. It wont stop, they will do it again.

Bladewing

Has an Affinity for Absurdity
Lt.Havoc said:
They send the Ping of Death just for fun. Its well known that people outside the fandom dosent like "furries" at all and that they are something sick and veile that has to be reased or something. Its the current tred to hate furries like to hate republicans or something.

Anyway, they do it for fun, thats all the reason they need. They want to harras us and post it on other forums like "zOMG!!! We killz teh FA server!! We are l33t! lolz!! Fucking fur fags yiff in hell!" etc.

Our presentce and existans is enough reason for them to attck the larges furry communty site over and over again. It wont stop, they will do it again.

It's pretty much been the "trend" to hate furries since they existed because "normal" people often hate or fear what they don't understand. And as I'm sure you're aware, most "normal" people don't want to make distinctions between furries who like to draw furs and wear fursuits; furries who don't lifestyle, just draw; and deviants. (yes I've simplified that a little too much maybe.) A few bad eggs don't make a community, but all they see are those bad things. For example, if you fell down a lot of times rollerskating, you might hate it, even though if you didn't fall down you'd be having fun. Distinctions are important. But the average person (and society as a whole) prefer to slap on an all purpose label. It's life. Unfortunately all we can do is deal with it. Because those labeled have always fought back against the labelers... and guess what. no matter what, we're STILL labeled.

Now as for blaming this on the haters..... it COULD be. But it could also be because it's, you know.... the day before Christmas Eve? Don't be too quick to think it's a bad thing happening to us UNTIL we're told so. Think positive, eh?

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
Midnightwolf said:
Well I have had some weird stuff happen. Like it lets me to the site, but everytime I go there it is logging me in as someone else. Its showing me how many new watches, submissions, favs, ect. they have, and it wont let me log out so that "I" I can sign in. Is anyone else haveing this going on, cuz its freakin me out.

Having just gotten back control of the database server, i have force-logged everyone out of FA.
All user sessions are destroyed, and you will be forced to re-login again when the site comes back online. I will further look into the issue once things stabilize.

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
Cheers yak for giving an update.

Attack from the /b/tards? Hmm.. not impossible I suppose.

Kiffa_kitmouse

The Seventh Stranger
Bladewing said:
Now as for blaming this on the haters..... it COULD be. But it could also be because it's, you know.... the day before Christmas Eve? Don't be too quick to think it's a bad thing happening to us UNTIL we're told so. Think positive, eh?

It'd be nice to think that this wasn't another attack... but if you look at the graph yak posted in the 'Site Status' section (http://www.furaffinityforums.net/showthread.php?tid=15637), you can see just how suddenly this increase in traffic happened. Now, I don't know anything about website tech... but it seems to me that if it was just people checking in on FA after coming home from school, the increase would happen gradually, over a period of several hours. It seems unlikely that everyone would be logging on at virtually exactly the same time.

Vgm22

Furry/Scalie Of Mystery
yak said:
Having just gotten back control of the database server, i have force-logged everyone out of FA.
All user sessions are destroyed, and you will be forced to re-login again when the site comes back online. I will further look into the issue once things stabilize.

Thank you Yak for the update and for taking the time outta your holiday to work on this problem. You and everyone else that's working on Chritmas Eve should get a lot of thanks for taking time away from your loved ones and family to work on getting the site back up.

If it is people from /b/ that are doing, they are going to keep on doing it. You get used to it and find something better to due, until the site comes back up. I find when you do something else and go to the site it's up and you're like, "Wow! It's up after I went away and did something else for a while." Though I also agree with the people that says it could be just the holiday traffic that could've done this. I mean everyone is outta college and school on winter break and everyone logged into FA pushing the server to the limit. Who knows, but the coders and admins when they fix things. Well be in the know after that when they are done if it was a /b/ attack or some form of attack or if the site couldn't handle the "Holiday Load".

Jurann

Charrio said:
Dakimov said:
Also, before you whine too much, you might remember the site is free and relies on donations to stay afloat. If they got more $$ then they might be able to afford a backup server....so....before anyone whines or decides to leave or anything like that - you might ask yourself "How much $$ have I donated to FA?"

I so think FA needs a Donation area for Art, where We can Donate Commissions, and the Payment is sent to FA, i asked about this earlier but seem to get snubbed by the Admins.

You are always welcome to post FA charity auctions on http://www.furbuy.com/ and donate the money you make to FA. Furbid doesn't allow charity auctions, but on FurBuy we most certainly welcome them to support causes like FA, animal rescues, free websites, and even your pocketbook. ;)

Alorwin

Alright, alright, I just read the thread and I'm seeing alot of guesstimation, so I'm just gonna... do what I can to help people understand?

Large UDP packets are completely worthless, in the HTTP/web-traffic environment, however hardware/software firewalls let them slip by usually, even though they're most-often used for DDoS, which stands for Distributed Denial of Service, aka, spamming a website with traffic to overload their ability to respond. When you have a sufficiant flood of traffic going, the webserver is bogged down with so much inbound traffic, all of which is has to sort out, no less, that two things happen. Legitimate traffic can't get through, which is why us, the users, can't get in. And, the other, more entertaining problem, is that legitimate traffic tends to have difficulty even getting out. If the traffic is too heavy, it just shuts everything down. So I guess, thank Anon for this.

Jurann

Lt.Havoc said:

Nah, the thought that outsiders would even waste their time doesn't make much sense. It's much more likely that it's from a competing furry site that wants to make FA looks bad. *cough*fchan*cough*furbid*cough*furnation*cough* Wow, 'scuse me, got a bad case of the coughs there. Anyway, it's quite clearly a DDoS attack, nothing else could make the traffic graph jump they way it did. We have several furries within the fandom who know how to orchestrate a DDoS and have access to the network infrastructure to make one happen. Rest assured that the FA team will be doing everything they can to bring things back up in a timely manner, and hopefully find who launched the attack and pursue them too.

Thank you for the update, Yak. ^^

Anyway... to anyone who'd deny it... I think this can only be an attack. The traffic used for FA is mostly TCP... I don't have logs to confirm this, but... when I last ran Wireshark while on FA, all traffic was TCP and HTTP. UDP is mostly used if you don't care if the traffic fails to reach it's destination. Who cares if you lost a 65535-byte packet if you're sending a bulk of them anyway? Isn't ping a wonderful utility? Actually... all network utilities are double-edged, unfortunately. Even Wireshark is bad in the wrong hands. So officially, well, unofficially, since I'm not official in any sense, this is an attack. **

I've also had firsthand experience with furry haters in real life. Difficult to explain, but they had no idea I'm a furry... and they were telling me how bad furries are, and giving absolutely horrible and irrational reasons for their hatred. Now... before anyone asks how they were talking about hating furries just when I was there... they actually make it a regular topic of discussion. >.> Actually, they'd talk about specific places that I won't mention, I understand there's a taboo on them. Or something like they'll go after you if they know you mention them and aren't one of them. ^^; Anyway... I asked why they hated furries so much... and one of them whips out a laptop, and shows me the Encyclopedia Dramatica page on furries, saying it's all true. It's laughably incorrect, but... apparently stupid people believe anything they read on the internet. >.>

** Or I could have waited for Alorwin to post a better definition of why it's an attack. ^^; Or not typed up a novel over here. ^^;

leeter

HADOKEN!! Solving all Problems
There is a possible solution to this problem, most routers can be configured to ignore certain types of traffic, so if say how about this:
only one tcp connection per IP, period (or what ever is needed for normal site usage), anymore will cause a IP packet block at the router level for at least 24 hours.
if UDP isn't used, or is only used in certain ways, block all pings at router level, and block any traffic from ip's that shouldn't be using UDP for at least 24 hours.
the key here is that you ignore any traffic from that ip for at least 24 so sustained DDOS should quickly drop off, mind though I am a dev coder not a net coder so, I would find one of them and confirm everything above before implementing.