• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FA Down Again?

Alorwin

leeter said:
There is a possible solution to this problem, most routers can be configured to ignore certain types of traffic, so if say how about this:
only one tcp connection per IP, period (or what ever is needed for normal site usage), anymore will cause a IP packet block at the router level for at least 24 hours.
if UDP isn't used, or is only used in certain ways, block all pings at router level, and block any traffic from ip's that shouldn't be using UDP for at least 24 hours.
the key here is that you ignore any traffic from that ip for at least 24 so sustained DDOS should quickly drop off, mind though I am a dev coder not a net coder so, I would find one of them and confirm everything above before implementing.

Doesn't work. DDoS' evolved because of "high-speed" internet. Namely, one jackass sitting on a college network with tons of bandwidth couldn't take down that annoying website he hates, anymore. DDoS works, not by the traffic itself, but by overloading the throughput. You literally have to contact the ISP that does the server-hosting, to deal with a DDoS

well this is the second time we've been down in as many weeks and its starting to look suspicious to me. anyone else get the sneaking suspicion that we are being targeted? it seems that someone or something is coordinating some kind of attack to block all of the bandwidth of the site. what else could explain the massive jump in views other than a 1% of the world population suddenly going furry?

Lt_Havoc

SPADS Commander
What the hell is going on with this forum and all the MySQL errors all the time? Inst the forum located on another server?

Hell, I start to belive the server move was not a smart one, we have more down times and attacks then ever and even the forums are effected by it. Godanmit! We need tech-support now! That or a Chistmas wonder...

Busterdrag

Your standard Nerd
OMG, calm down everyone.

Yeah, its an DDoS. How tragic. Do something else with your time, I mean, its Christmas, goddammit.

Sooner or later, the server will be back online (mostly later). Until then, do something else. The coding monkeys of FA will take care of the problem. And after some time, every DDoS attack on the nets dies down. You can't hold up an DDoS forever.

And I agree with Lt. Havoc. We need a better tech support. No, the coders we have now are good, but we need more. We should use some of the donations we get on some professionel Coders.

Okay, I have nothing more to say. Good night and merry Christmas.

seadog-driftwood

Proto-Indo-European Bard
Is there any way to track who could have caused this, or is that the point of DDoS, to mask the culprit completely?

Let's be thankful, at least, that burning people at the stake has fallen out of favour, otherwise anyone who even had a picture of a human-like animal might be at risk of the claim "They're a furry! They are hellspawn! Blahblahblah pseudo-religious hysteriz and crap!"

Okay, I got that overreaction out of my system. Merry Chrastmas / Decemberween, every-single-body!

SDWolf

Habitually Lurking Lupine
Yay, it looks like everything's back up! Way to go!

I sincerely hope you'll press charges against whoever's responsible for all that. As I understand, an attack like that is a criminal offense, so it shouldn't cost FA anything to pursue legal action.

Anyhow, thanks for all the hard work getting things back up just in time for Christmas. Have a great holiday! *wags*

Thanks to everyone involved in getting the site back up, kudos to you all. Also, thanks for restoring the posts and all, was a little worried when I logged on the other day and found my account was gone. Happy Holidays everyone, lets hope New Years can be be a little less stressful on all.

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
Lt.Havoc said:
What the hell is going on with this forum and all the MySQL errors all the time? Inst the forum located on another server?

The forum is on another server.

ADF

Looks like someone decided to poke a little fun at the situation.

Either way I have to feel sorry for the coders; I mean having to deal with this on Yule, I would just say closed till after and leave it at that.

rednec0

SDWolf said:
I sincerely hope you'll press charges against whoever's responsible for all that. As I understand, an attack like that is a criminal offense, so it shouldn't cost FA anything to pursue legal action.

well with that whole thing, it IS a federal crime to DDoS websites so the FBI would get involved and said offenders would be V&. however, the chances of finding the ones responsible is almost zero cause if they're intelligent enough they'd use a proxy to block a trace and such. the only way the culprit MIGHT be found is if you could slowly take-apart the attack computer-by-computer, but that kind of tracing is virtually impossible at this point.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
MMind said:
Isn't there a place were I can maybe find a direct account that I can pay the donation to?
A direct account? Unfortunately no. The way bank accounts work in the US is if you have the same information you'd need to deposit you also have some of the same information you need to withdraw. Europe has a much more efficient system at it for using bank accounts to deposit, but in the US it can be a double-edged sword.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
SDWolf said:
If we had any solid idea of who was behind it, sure. But otherwise, welcome to the internet. =/ Anonymity reigns (for better or worse).

Alorwin

... Agh, people don't know anything! >_< DDoS is 99.99% untrackable! You would have too log ALL the IPs sending the traffic, every single one, find out each ISP and post a notice to each ISP asking them to preform tech-support on their users computers THEN find the trojan that's being used to control said computers, THEN disable the attack-functions of the trojan, install it on a zombie, find where the trojan tracks back too[usually an irc server], find the channel it joins[in irc-case], find the zombie-master[trojan maker], contact the sys-admins of the irc server for the zombie-master's IP, and then it's back to contacting the ISPs again. And since this attack is going against MANY fur-sources, you just know that it's more than one zombie-master. The government would LOVE to punish DDoSers, but it's almost impossible.

ShadowUmbre

Banned
Banned
I hope the best to come, whoever did this should be a shame of themselves to do such a thing.

icehawk

Busterdrag said:
And I agree with Lt. Havoc. We need a better tech support. No, the coders we have now are good, but we need more. We should use some of the donations we get on some professionel Coders.

Extra coders aren't going to help when someone's trying to shove a gigabit of traffic down a 100mbit port.

Alorwin

icehawk said:
Busterdrag said:

Extra coders aren't going to help when someone's trying to shove a gigabit of traffic down a 100mbit port.

EXACTLY! ALL that will help is contacting the server's ISP, and maybe not even that! But it's better now.

karoug

Am I correct in thinking that even if FA had a super-duper router it wouldn't help because the over 100Mbps of traffic needed to be filtered by the ISP's router to stop the attack before it reached FA?

icehawk

karoug said:
Am I correct in thinking that even if FA had a super-duper router it wouldn't help because the over 100Mbps of traffic needed to be filtered by the ISP's router to stop the attack before it reached FA?

Yup. In a bandwidth consumption attack, any filtering has to be done before the point where all of the available bandwidth is saturated

Rhainor

Rawr.
Busterdrag said:

IIRC, the donations FA gets don't even cover the cost of bandwidth. There sure ain't enough left over for hiring professional code-monkeys.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Rhainor said:
Busterdrag said:

IIRC, the donations FA gets don't even cover the cost of bandwidth. There sure ain't enough left over for hiring professional code-monkeys.
If it weren't for Cerisewolf, FA would be down about $5G at least. In the hole. While FA gets a decent chunk from donations, it doesn't profit from it. we've been in the hole for a better part of a year. We pay $850 a month, and we don't get much back from the community in return. Right now Cerise is covering that out of the goodness of his heart.

The regular donations we get help out slightly, but not enough long term. So far, the advertising doesn't dent the bill -- as yak puts it, it's a "drop of water in the ocean". We're working to find ways to better the system, however.

Alorwin

karoug said:

I <3 you. Yes, that's exactly it, and what I've been tryin' to tell people.