• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FA Down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

izartist

King o' the bushy tails
Sam-Mag said:
Why am I thinking that it's someone that wanted to ruin FA from the start?

I would want to know why anyone would "want" to ruin FA...

Sym_Gryphon

whoever is responsible for the attack would be wise to stop ASAP... the longer it goes on, the easier it is to sniff out their IP, find their RL location, and send someone with an EMP gun...

mmm, silicon bacon...

mericus

then go shoot a sunni and a shi ite and five wahhabbi, perfeably in the stomach so they can die as slowly and painfully as possible.
I found out this is a directed attack by multiple servers/computers all over the world at the same time to the same website, my friend said d.O.S. i think. it can be prevented with routers but mostly the admins have to work it out. Now everyone think to the admins, and only good thoughts because they are our saviors all the time as well as now. Feel the energy coming from your heart, NOT THERE! - THAT"S NOT YOUR HEART!
Anyway, from your heart to the admins and maybe FA too bless its heart, it makes us all so happy. (LOVE is more powerful than this) now forget about it and everything will be okay. (those of you that are watching just realize i just taught the world, (FA is the world to me) the basis of how to work magick).

Anyway all in all the wonderful all powerful admins will work this problem out eventually. Look i was able to get in and i have to ask my friend what the heck happened!

Moon-Baby

Transitional Lifeform
mericus said:
then go shoot a sunni and a shi ite and five wahhabbi, perfeably in the stomach so they can die as slowly and painfully as possible.
I found out this is a directed attack by multiple servers/computers all over the world at the same time to the same website, my friend said d.O.S. i think. it can be prevented with routers but mostly the admins have to work it out. Now everyone think to the admins, and only good thoughts because they are our saviors all the time as well as now. Feel the energy coming from your heart, NOT THERE! - THAT"S NOT YOUR HEART!
Anyway, from your heart to the admins and maybe FA too bless its heart, it makes us all so happy. (LOVE is more powerful than this) now forget about it and everything will be okay. (those of you that are watching just realize i just taught the world, (FA is the world to me) the basis of how to work magick).

Anyway all in all the wonderful all powerful admins will work this problem out eventually. Look i was able to get in and i have to ask my friend what the heck happened!

um.......huh?

F

FalIndelstan

Moon-Baby said:
um.......huh?

He was replying to some guy's remark about Al Qaeda.

Damn! Screw those hacker guys. They're just jealous because FA rawks.
That or they're fat lazy nerds who sit in their mothers' basements thinking of new viruses / hacks to screw us all over just to give them joy.

GAWD. I'm pissed. >.<; :evil:

gliengul

FalIndelstan said:
Damn! Screw those hacker guys. They're just jealous because FA rawks.
That or they're fat lazy nerds who sit in their mothers' basements thinking of new viruses / hacks to screw us all over just to give them joy.

GAWD. I'm pissed. >.<; :evil:

Actually most DDoS attacks are foisted by "script kiddies" as real hackers generally have more interesting ways to get you knocked 'offline', like tampering with your ISP's DNS servers, or getting you listed on the "Project Cleanfeed" block list.

FuzzWolf

FurPlanet Proprietor
Vgm22 said:
I hope and pray that they catch whoever did this and punish them severly.
Good grief, furry art is serious fucking business!

Fuzzy

cesarin

Famous Huggable Dragon
Sym_Gryphon said:
whoever is responsible for the attack would be wise to stop ASAP... the longer it goes on, the easier it is to sniff out their IP, find their RL location, and send someone with an EMP gun...

mmm, silicon bacon...

you must be not very smart in therms of internet
its easy to find "zombies" or netbots to atack
Ie, using infected computers as decoy
even spoofing and using that DDOS (using fake 3way handshake to make normal servers send lots of unrequested errors to the target server )

its not that easy to just say "lulz, let's sniff their ip!"

Sym_Gryphon

cesarin said:
even spoofing and using that DDOS (using fake 3way handshake to make normal servers send lots of unrequested errors to the target server )

... I know how DDOS works, and I know about zombies and netbots too, I was just saying in the off chance it WAS possible to find the main attacker...

*sighs* this is why I delete journal entries... cuz every time I say something, somebody calls me "not very smart"

take back what you said Cesarin, now

Sym_Gryphon

I'm sorry... I was trying to get into FA to write a journal entry about how the cold weather is sapping my pleasantness... *sighs* script kiddie couldn't have picked a worse time... now I look mean...

cesarin

Famous Huggable Dragon
Sym_Gryphon said:
cesarin said:

... I know how DDOS works, and I know about zombies and netbots too, I was just saying in the off chance it WAS possible to find the main attacker...

*sighs* this is why I delete journal entries... cuz every time I say something, somebody calls me "not very smart"

take back what you said Cesarin, now
lol im sooo gonna take that back HAH yeah sure :p
and actually....tracking the original atacker could be a bit more simple..... if anyone tracks sites such as fchan, 4chan, enciclopediadramatica (& other websites related to drama), since these people (scriptkiddiez) do actually boost their ego by posting "their lulz atack", on these websites ( as proven many times by /b/ population from chan sites and their "invasions".

in other hand....
btw welcome to the internet, where not everyone will always agree on what you say.
and I find interesting that you claim you "knew" about botnet stuff , yet you said like it was "easy" to track people...

also, remember Im _NOT_ an enemy in here..

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Ok, this is really nothing new.

En Den

*hands on hips, hard stare*
All right - who messed with football?!

R5K

Moon-Baby said:
It was Al Qaeda. Those bastards.
Conspiracy theory of the moment: It has something to do with the evolution vs creation thread. The attack was controlled by aliens from planet Gurubfsjb who are pissed that there was no discussion about xenogenesis and stuff. Those who actually attacked, mesmerized by alien mind control beams, are members of militant alien sects throughout the world. Did I mention the Illuminati already? There you have it. I always knew! Bwahahaha!

Erm... yeah. :lol:

Mega Wolf

Well it looks like the site is finaly back up. Unfortunately I did not have the forum bookmarked so I just got back on myself. What the hell is a 'distribution attack'?

imnohbody

Not sure where you saw that phrase used, Mega, as I don't believe it showed anywhere in this thread.

DDoS (what caused the FA problem last night) is short for Distributed Denial of Service. Long story short, instead of a DoS attack (basically pound the shit out of the target system/network/etc so it can't get anything done) from one source (thus easy to block access from that IP address or contact the address' administrator to get them to kill the offending connection... and if said admin is really pissed they kill the offending user :twisted: ), a variety of computers are used from multiple sources (more difficult to block or get shut down), often infected with some variety of script/program that effectively can turn those computers into slaves of the attacker, usually without the knowledge of the owners of those infected computers.

There's a lot more to it, of course, and as the cliche goes the devil is in the details, but the above will work for a quick overview for J. Random Websurfer.

pengolodh

The phrase "distributed attack" that Mega quoted was used in the official announcement posted by blueroo in the Site Status forum - blueroo posted a link to that announcement in the present thread.

imnohbody

pengolodh said:
The phrase "distributed attack" that Mega quoted was used in the official announcement posted by blueroo in the Site Status forum

Ah, ok. I had forgotten the exact phrasing of Blueroo's notice.

Not that it really changes my previous post other than that, though. :p

Marthaen

I found out who did the attack! It was the evil Moses!

Moses_Parts_FA.jpg

Okay... just kidding. :)

uncia2000

Heh, heh...

Hiya, dragon! Good to see you posting here, again. :)

... Well that's one possibility I certainly had not considered.

Anyhow; rewinding a few days I'll have to add a belated "thank you" to the tech gurus for managing to cut off those particular avenues of abusing the community in a professional manner.

As soon as we cut over to the new server we were pounded *multiple* times. The first few we managed to cope with, with virtually zero user impact, but unfortunately we were eventually taken out (per the graph above). Apologies again for that.

As ever, we will try our best to ensure that such problems are dealt with in order to keep things running smoothly as well as everything else that needs doing for the current and future community.

izartist said:
Sam-Mag said:
Why am I thinking that it's someone that wanted to ruin FA from the start?
I would want to know why anyone would "want" to ruin FA...
It only takes a small number of mean-spirited wreckers who do not care for the negative impact their actions have.

Regards,
David.

p.s. Happy to say we've been back online 24*7 since and already hitting new peak transaction traffic (and commensurate increased running costs/month in due course). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.