• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Main Site FA Favs, an open-source extension for subscribing to favorites feeds

quizzical

Hi everyone! I'm sharing a small, free, open-source browser extension for Firefox and Chrome I developed to subscribe to the favorites of other users. The extension pulls favorites from a list of users that you've added, pooling all the favorites into a common feed and showing the new ones since your last visit. The feed is paginated and carefully rate-limited to loads typical of regular browsing. There are no ads and all your data stays entirely local to your browser. You can read more about its design and view the source code at https://github.com/quizzl/fa-favs, and you can install it free from Firefox Addons and the Chrome Extensions market. Here's a short demo of the extension at work:

So what the motivation behind this?

The favorites of other users are one of, if not the best way to find new art and artists on the main site. I've found this to be true, and have heard the same from others, some who use FA solely to find art. Favorites are already prominently featured on users' pages, which is great for this purpose! Unfortunately, there's no way to watch the favorites of other users like you can with the submission feeds of artists. The best option is to keep this list of those users somewhere else and pull up their favorites pages one-by-one, which makes this route of exploration less appealing. A lot of users do an excellent job curating collections of art, and it's a bit of a loss that others can't easily enjoy the work they put in to find pieces.

Thought some people might enjoy it! I've used it throughout its development and it's shown its worth to me at least, it's the second thing I now check after looking at new submissions. If you do use it, feel free to let me know of your experience.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
Sounds really nice! but what happens if you try that with users who have their favorites hidden?

quizzical

Sounds really nice! but what happens if you try that with users who have their favorites hidden?
It won't show what you can't see on FA, unless they hid their favorites after you added them. And that's only the case because it caches the lists of favourites (currently permanently) to save bandwidth on reload. Otherwise it just pulls from furaffinity.net/favorites/<username> itself!