• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FA/IMVU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PnKnG

USUALLY the system would require the artist to do it due to the information needed
even if its your character, its was still drawn by someone else who have THEIR signature on it.

problem is "usually" doesn't helps me. plus if you check my gallery there is a number of artists that have drawn my character with those clothes. so who should file the complained then?

fleshy2

Your character counts as your Intellectual Property. I don't think a DMCA will take it down, I've heard people discussing it but never actually take action.

Kalmor

Banned
Banned
After reading through the last few pages, I must remind ALL users that we do not accept uncivil behaviour on the forums. I know debates (especially ones such as these) can get heated, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. I've seen too many people call each other names and deliberately try to get under another person's skin to try and get them to react. This is unacceptable.

I have gone through and deleted the offending posts and any replies to them. Infracs/Warnings have also been handed out. From now on I ask that people try to cool down and think about what you're saying and if what you are going to ask is crass or malicious in any way, take a minute and leave it out.

That's all I wanted to say. Consider this a warning to eveyone.

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
Thank you, as well. It was annoying not being able to participate in this thread lol.

I hope this is a wake up call for IMVU. There needs to be a better system in place to prevent and take down stolen work. We do have a Peer Review system to screen products, but there is no option to fail for Copyright Infringement. It wouldn't be possible to add it, either, since we have no idea if the person submitting the artwork is the artist or not, or has permission to do so. The forums wont allow anyone to ask for advice on filing a DMCA takedown notice, because there is the risk of someone giving wrong information or bad advice. It really seems like they don't care. Not to mention, a massive number of disappointed IMVU users built their own website to sell art, since IMVU would do nothing about theft. http://www.gasrforum.com/
Some of use could of tell that the reason you guys are helping us to resolve this is to improve things for you due to our status of a newly acquired site being part of the IMVU "family". IMVU will have to do things to make us trust them and be fine enough to have them as owners of our site, which in turn they would have to do things to improve their site overall. If we are in a sense being used as a bigger hammer to fix a problem, then thats fine as in the end it benefits everyone.
-IMVU users may get an improved system peer review on things being submitted to the "catty"
-FA gets stuff they dont want on that site removed

1000bluntz

mark ass trick
If I was after money I'd have gone after that. The agreement we made was to invest IN the comment, and make improvements to the site.
I wish I had a mountain of cash. I need new brakes for my car and I really, REALLY want to buy a new monitor. So, if you find my piles of cash, please let me know.

Half-assed damage control. 6/10 at best. I guess you're doing something right though, you've got at least one or two people in this thread mindlessly defending you.

After reading through the last few pages, I must remind ALL users that we do not accept uncivil behaviour on the forums. I know debates (especially ones such as these) can get heated, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. I've seen too many people call each other names and deliberately try to get under another person's skin to try and get them to react. This is unacceptable.

I have gone through and deleted the offending posts and any replies to them. Infracs/Warnings have also been handed out. From now on I ask that people try to cool down and think about what you're saying and if what you are going to ask is crass or malicious in any way, take a minute and leave it out.

That's all I wanted to say. Consider this a warning to eveyone.

So Rowe's are still there. if not for those why did he get banned?

fleshy2

The disturbing thing to me is that we've got people saying that they've gone through the process and it takes months and requires all kinds of back and forth regarding facts and proof of ownership, and we've got people saying that it's quick and easy. Have any images been successfully taken down in the days since the IMVU purchase was revealed?

Not once has the DMCA agent asked me for proof. I send one email, and the DMCA agent sends one back. That's it. This is her typical response:

"Hello, In compliance with the IMVU policy relating to claims of copyright or trademark infringement, which is meant to adopt and implement the procedures specified under the DMCA and US copyright law, IMVU has taken the following actions regarding your complaint:
1) The offending items have been placed on DMCA hold and we have disabled access to or removed them from the IMVU catalog.
2) Notified the person who created and/or posted the offending items.
For more information on IMVU’s DMCA/Trademark policies, or for instructions on reporting future violations, please visit our DMCA page.
http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_info.php?section=Info&topic=terms_of_service
Please note that this is our ordinary response upon receipt of a formal DMCA takedown notice, in compliance with the DMCA and our policy. We express no view with regard to the merits of your claim(s) of infringement or with regard to any other matters you may have communicated to us. We reserve all rights and defenses.

Regards,

DMCA Agent
IMVU, Inc."

For me, it only takes a few days (sometimes a couple weeks) to get the item taken down. Now, if hundreds of FA artists file DMCAs at once, my words wont matter since the DMCA agent will likely get backed up, resulting in longer response times.

rjbartrop

I get that feeling too. I don't think IMVU would be dumb enough not to have an escape plan if things go pear shaped. I think IMVU may be too confident that furs will switch, and when they realize furs aren't jumping over, they'll resell or just dump FA like yesterday's garbage. Either way, things are not looking good for the future of the site. Though if Linden Labs could buy FA...that might work nicely.

The big sticking point to that remains that Linden Labs has to actually want to buy it.

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
problem is "usually" doesn't helps me. plus if you check my gallery there is a number of artists that have drawn my character with those clothes. so who should file the complained then?
True, and now you also provide a problem

Art we can easily remove

people making "suits" of people's characters are completely a new one, how do you really deal with that one?

Artist can easily provide drawings of their own character to prove that the "suit" is being based off of their character.

Would a Ref sheet work?

The big sticking point to that remains that Linden Labs has to actually want to buy it.
:V they dont need FA, they would gladly actually JUST pay for advertising

Last edited:

FYIAD

Re: IMVU Profiteering!

I don't... What? I'm scratching my head reading this trying to figure out what the thrust of the post was, but it's mostly just fluff. The part I did understand was about reselling Credits for BTC, but... Well, that's not officially supported (IMVU would prefer you purchase additional funbux through them), and the money stays with IMVU either way.

I can edit for brevity at a later point. I wanted to get something up during the day when something productive might result rather than it get buried in the few pages of users sniping at each other that crop up in the evening.

The talk of bitcoins and methods of cashing out IMVU credits was to prove the point that it is possible. There had been people stating outright that one cannot turn IMVU credits back into cash, with the implication being that if the fraud only netted faux currency then it was less of a problem. Anyone willing to put the least amount of work into it can convert one currency to the other and back again. In short, I was trying to show that people get real money, not just the equivalent of prize tickets at carnival.

I suppose I could’ve tracked back to directly quote the people who made this claim, but then the wall of text would be larger still. I’ll endeavor to be more concise next time through; I get wordy when I’m in a hurry and exhausted. X.x Sorry about that.

Zepher_Tensho

Lodestar
Wow this thread exploded. Half the new posts are flaming, like holy shit.

kxyTSTK.jpg

Also mfw 'Neer talks more about why Rowe was banned but people like a certain eagle get away with calling everyone retard and idiot.

8eJo4hF.png

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
Wow this thread exploded. Half the new posts are flaming, like holy shit.

[meme]

Also mfw 'Neer talks more about why Rowe was banned but people like a certain eagle get away with calling everyone retard and idiot.

[image]
...if this was facepunch you would of been banned for memes and images
please we need to discuss stuff here, so cut it low on the images, or at least make em smaller that they dont take up space

IMVU allows creators to sell their credits to different registered resellers for cash.
http://www.imvu.com/catalog/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpbb2&file=viewtopic.php&t=296713
Some make an actual living by it.
hmm some of these I remember being around when I use to be on IMVU.

Last edited:

FYIAD

I get that feeling too. I don't think IMVU would be dumb enough not to have an escape plan if things go pear shaped. I think IMVU may be too confident that furs will switch, and when they realize furs aren't jumping over, they'll resell or just dump FA like yesterday's garbage. Either way, things are not looking good for the future of the site. Though if Linden Labs could buy FA...that might work nicely.

Actually, my hope at this point is that if/when IMVU realizes that they bit off more than they can chew that there will be a chance for a group of investors willing to step in and purchase FA back. I’d merrily dig deep for a tiny bit of FA; more than that, I know others have much deeper pockets than mine and were already organized to the point that they made Dragoneer an offer prior to the IMVU deal being finalized. I trust them a great deal more than I trust FA; and I trust a structure that spreads the power over enough people so that no one person can jerk the wheel and wreck the ship without the slightest bit of warning.

It’s probably a vain, silly hope, but it’s all I’ve got to run on at the moment.

Smelge

Hey, Assbutt

Not really. Rowe was on the wrong side, so deserved to get banned. Eagleguy is a defender of the purple one, so he's good.

I've been reading up on DMCA. You can submit them from outside the US, but the company doesn't have to listen. From there the only step to take is legal action from within the US, which tey know nobody would ever do, so yes, the whole world can submit DMCA notifications. Doesn't mean they'll actualy get sorted.

Not really. Rowe was on the wrong side, so deserved to get banned. Eagleguy is a defender of the purple one, so he's good.

I've been reading up on DMCA. You can submit them from outside the US, but the company doesn't have to listen. From there the only step to take is legal action from within the US, which tey know nobody would ever do, so yes, the whole world can submit DMCA notifications. Doesn't mean they'll actualy get sorted.

But what did he do? No one is saying what he did that was so bad

trapa

Actually, my hope at this point is that if/when IMVU realizes that they bit off more than they can chew that there will be a chance for a group of investors willing to step in and purchase FA back. I’d merrily dig deep for a tiny bit of FA; more than that, I know others have much deeper pockets than mine and were already organized to the point that they made Dragoneer an offer prior to the IMVU deal being finalized. I trust them a great deal more than I trust FA; and I trust a structure that spreads the power over enough people so that no one person can jerk the wheel and wreck the ship without the slightest bit of warning.

It’s probably a vain, silly hope, but it’s all I’ve got to run on at the moment.

I would be willing to do this, Have been trying to get in touch with IMVU to make them aware of the offer. Looking for help with that introduction if anyone can.

Blitza

IMVU is aware of the issue that their requirements to register to view adult content is causing some artists. I do not have a good answer. Suffice to say, some parts of my day are spent browsing looking for copyright content, and I will be contacting artists I can identify and let them know how to get their content removed.

I've never been for art theft. I'm an artist, my wife's an artist, pretty much all of my friends and family are. I get there are some issues now, but we are working on trying to smooth them out.

Thats the first Time i respect you for that one Thing, that you try and help to get the stolen Images down. If thats true and you continue like that it would be nice !! Since alot artists cant even see there stolen works sadly.

Smelge

Hey, Assbutt
Thats the first Time i respect you for that one Thing, that you try and help to get the stolen Images down. If thats true and you continue like that it would be nice !! Since alot artists cant even see there stolen works sadly.

No, no respect. It's stupid and wasteful. If he's being paid to work now he's essentially browsing rather than doing stuff thats important for the site. Hosting thumbnails of all the relevant searches with the link for use in case of a DMCA would take very little time and allow people to look for themselves. There's a simple solution, but yet again the 'waste a fuckton of time' solution is being used.

Surely there's someone on staff able to write a script or code a simple website?

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
IMVU allows creators to sell their credits to different registered resellers for cash.
http://www.imvu.com/catalog/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpbb2&file=viewtopic.php&t=296713
Some make an actual living by it.

This is actually rather confusing, because...

Linked URL / Registered Resellers said:
The Registered Resellers Directory is not affiliated with or endorsed by IMVU.

And yet...

Linked URL / Registered Resellers said:
All listed resellers are recognized by IMVU as Registered Resellers, and have agreed to abide by the IMVU TOS and all IMVU rules specific to resellers.

But then...

IMVU ToS said:
You are hereby prohibited from reselling or distributing Credits without the expressed written consent of IMVU.

(no mention of official resellers or the word "resell" besides this)

So... Whuh?

Status
Not open for further replies.